Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Rafa Benitez

Rafa's CV is as good as anybody's, you've got to respect what he's done in the game. Has done a great job with Newcastle in challenging circumstances and he's the sort that I think guarantees you a stable league position.

However, given that the number one complaint about Puel from fans is that the football is boring, he would not rectify that issue. His team's have always been focussed on having a great defence first and foremost, even his brilliant Valencia team that won La Liga twice were built that way.

Still you could do far, far worse than Rafa. As I say I don't think a club with our resources would ever be in danger of relegation with someone like him in chage. But is that enough? Probably not, the fans want to dream again!

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2

Rodgers over Rafa, but let’s be honest for Leicester to get Rafa would be coup.

Surprised so many turning their nose tbh. Hard to judge his time at Newcastle, working under Ashley and in those conditions must be horrendous. 

I think he’s done well there and the Georidies absolutely love him.

Edited by mod hero
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Has anyone thought the reason Rafa plays defensive  football is because of the quality of players?

he played defensive football at Liverpool, Valencia, Chelsea and Napoli and tried to at Madrid, he is Jose Mourinho but less of a ****, though he is always moaning in the media about his owners 

Sarri had practically the same squad at Napoli and Higuain immediately had the best season of his career

• Like 2

Think I'm in the minority who think Puel will stay on till end if his contract, club don't want to put money in to sign players and want to sell, so why dish out compo on a manager who is a bore but hasn't got us in the situation of a relegation battle and has an emphasis o  youth ? They've got a lot of external issues to figure out with KP and all the other stuff they have interest in. Even as a Puel outer,if i i were them id try and keep him till the end of his deal, retaining key players. Every time we've sacked a manager in the prem we haven't been an attractive proposition, have Puel install youth and keep hold of our attractive players, slim the wage budget to allow us to be able to sign better quality players and we'd actually be an attractive proposition unlike before.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, mod hero said:

Rodgers over Rafa, but let’s be honest for Leicester to get Rafa would be coup.

Surprised so many turning their nose tbh. Hard to judge his time at Newcastle, working under Ashley and in those conditions must be horrendous. 

I think he’s done well there and the Georidies absolutely love him.

They absolutely love him because they're happy to blame Ashley for everything, as is Benitez. Ashley's a cvnt but he's also an easy scapegoat for anything any time something goes wrong on the pitch.

There was a 606 caller last night blaming Ashley for the Cup team selection, yet praising Benitez for the way he's criticised Ashley. Surely if Benitez wanted to stand up to him that much and make himself a proper hero to the supporters he would have taken the Cup more seriously. But why bother when you know you're going to be absolved of blame whatever you do as a manager?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

And if the criticisms of Puel were based on achievements, that'd be fair. But when people are whinging that Puel is "too boring", bringing in an even more boring manager isn't exactly a great move. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Has anyone thought the reason Rafa plays defensive  football is because of the quality of players?

No, because he's had very decent one's everywhere he's been with the exception of Newcastle.  Even then they spent a lot of money to get promoted from the championship,  he had a team at his disposal that he should be expected to be promoted with. Doesn't introduce players and is as boring as hell. Liverpool fans and players couldn't wait to be shot of him. A backwards step.

29 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

And if the criticisms of Puel were based on achievements, that'd be fair. But when people are whinging that Puel is "too boring", bringing in an even more boring manager isn't exactly a great move. 

i was never bored of Liverpool when Rafa was in charge... they were willing to financially back him... the Rafa of Newcastle has not been financially backed. Only so much you can polish a turd...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MPH said:

i was never bored of Liverpool when Rafa was in charge... they were willing to financially back him... the Rafa of Newcastle has not been financially backed. Only so much you can polish a turd...

He also had the distinct advantage of being able to attract players to one of the world's most famous foitball clubs at Liverpool. No-one would have that advantage with us, whoever they were.

His style of football isn't great but his trophy cabinet doesn't lie. Benitez I feel would easily get in the fans good books quickly, I think what helps he likes to be open and honest. A manager like Benitez is being wasted at Newcastle, he's certainly a top six manager. I mean if Pochettino does leave Spurs in the summer, he could be very well on their list aswell. 

Edited by Leicesterpool
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

He also had the distinct advantage of being able to attract players to one of the world's most famous foitball clubs at Liverpool. No-one would have that advantage with us, whoever they were.

he didn’t really buy anyone who was an established worldie though did he? that was all developed whilst there..