Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Rafa Benitez

30 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Absolutely every football fan should read "In The Mixer" - a brilliant look at how football tactics have changed in our league since the PL was started. It has long looks at Rafa and Mourinho and how their defensives tactics work (not just a low block), but also at how the counter-attack was developed as a response to possession-based games.

Tikki-taka/ tippy-tappy football was dominant after Pep employed Cruyff's Total Football tactics at Barca. Even look after the 2014 World Cup and Harry Redknapp was on about how he liked the look of "that 3-5-2" and he gave it a go at QPR - it failed, btw. Most football tactics develop on a trend and a response to a dominant one, usually by some particular team or "visionary". 

I think it's fair to say that, as well as winning the title, we were instrumental in showing that counter-attack using pressing and pace could work. To some extent, Vardy and Suarez are the two pioneers of the era as they chased down lost causes from the front, forcing errors from the defence. Can you imagine a team with them both in at their peak with a holding centre mid who dictates the game? I think that's a pretty good legacy for the Great Escape/ title winning team to leave. In years to come, I do think the tactics of that era will be studied and people will see it wasn't just hoofball. 

But, the game will move on. Ideas and tactics will change in a few years and, to be honest, it's usually someone different to the league who upsets the balance of play. I'd suspect it will be when Tuchel gets bored with PSG comes over here to take the Man City job. Sarri-ball just hasn't taken off. 

Great post

10 hours ago, Analysethis said:

Eddie Howe had a go at another club and he failed miserably and apparently got homesick (being at Burnley LOL). He is Mr Bournemouth and has a very hands on approach to much of what goes on at that club. Im sure he has got qualities but he strikes me as a bit light-weight. I think he has the perfect set up but I am not convinced he can handle a bigger club with bigger expectations. 

Alright Rafa :nigel:

On 29/01/2019 at 08:13, Kinowe Soorie said:

Boring football and a win? Yes please!

A win trumps everything for me. I don't care if it's fun to watch or not providing we win, knowing we have 3pts makes my Saturday and all seems right with the world. Given the choice I'd rather be entertained but winning the match should come first.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, FoxInBlue said:

A win trumps everything for me. I don't care if it's fun to watch or not providing we win, knowing we have 3pts makes my Saturday and all seems right with the world. Given the choice I'd rather be entertained but winning the match should come first.

Exactly!

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/rafa-benitez-insists-hes-trophy-14034687

Benitez current contract ends in June, and he will come under pressure to make a quick decision about his future once Newcastle’s Premier League fate is decided this season.

The club want to plan for next season, and Celtic's Brendan Rodgers and David Wagner have been touted as potential successors.

Leicester City will consider Benitez this summer with Claude Puel’s tenure uncertain.

He's a better manager than Puel but not suitable for the direction the club is going in. He's a conservative manager and prefers older players, of the three touted names (Not sure why I'm giving this any credence at all, tbh) Wagner and Rodgers would be better fits.

7 minutes ago, PaulW said:

Wagner has already demonstrated that he can't handle the constant pressure of Premier League management.

I'd like to see Pep try to manage a club like Huddersfield with very limited funds etc... 

Wagner did a brilliant job keeping them up last season and I for one wouldn't mind him being our next manager. 

Wagner in!! 

• Like 1

Every manager sees how we have held our own against the top six this season. The only games where we didn’t were without vardy (lpool and spurs at home). 

Assuming they cant get a top six job over here (and Everton, West Ham are taken), they would be nuts not to want to come here - especially given the new training ground .......

1 minute ago, weller54 said:

I'd like to see Pep try to manage a club like Huddersfield with very limited funds etc... 

Wagner did a brilliant job keeping them up last season and I for one wouldn't mind him being our next manager. 

Wagner in!! 

The only thing that concerns me about Wagner is that he often put out a team without any British players in it. For some reason, I found this strange for a club oop norf 

17 minutes ago, PaulW said:

Wagner has already demonstrated that he can't handle the constant pressure of Premier League management.

Huddersfield should be nowhere near the PL, never mind currently in their second season. Wagner did an unbeliavble job, the budget there compared to what he'd get here is a difference as is the pull for a player.

I don't think he's any better than Puel but you can't compare Huddersfield's position (as in club not league position) to us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

The only thing that concerns me about Wagner is that he often put out a team without any British players in it. For some reason, I found this strange for a club oop norf 

He played Ben Hamer to be fair, which is enough for me to not want him managing us.

Wagner got Huddersfield 200 million pounds in TV money plus future parachute payments with a club that he got promoted on a negative GD. Huddersfield players had to change in portapotties last year at home games. Obviously we'll have to see how he does at a bigger club, maybe in Germany, but he's clearly incredibly talented and able to get the best out of his players. 

• Like 1