Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Rafa Benitez

Everyone and everything has a sell by date or a product life cycle. Leicester fc fans the Rafaites seem to think because he won a cup 10 or 20 years ago that he will continue that wherever he goes. 

Personal example - I had the perfect physic 10 years ago but now age has caught up with me, moral of my story is nothing lasts forever. 

• Like 1

This damn next shiny toy mentality is excruciatingly tiresome.

Rafa IS a defensive minded coach.

Is it really that his media persona is preferable to Puel that tips the balance?

I hope not, you may not like Claude, but he is doing something good by focusing on youth, making us more sustainable.

• Like 2

Not the right man for this club. We are on the right track by investing in younger players, on longer term contracts which are steadily becoming assets of significant value. As others have said Rafa is very defensive and having watched Newcastle live a good few times over the last few years the football isn’t great. As with a lot of managers Rafa also has his favourites who play no matter how they perform. Perez is a great example, one good game in five but plays week in week out. 

• Like 1

No question Benitez is, or has been, a good manager, but most of his teams have been very defensive and certainly Newcastle are far less attractive to watch that we are. However, that could be countered by the fact you can only play the hand that is dealt you and working at Newcastle must be horrendous under Ashley.

It would be interesting to see what he could do under our very progressive owner, however I fear our play would be based on a highly defensive approach, even more so than we have under Puel. And I'm not sure he would promote youth like Puel has done and blow millions on risky transfers.

Moanrinio is the perfect example of a manager who has been highly successful, but is now out of touch with today's football, sticking to old ways that worked in the past but are outdated now. I think Benitez may also fit into that bracket.

All in all, and as long as we see the players playing for Puel, and he keeps us well clear of relegation, I'd be far happier keeping Puel and seeing what he can build here.

All this sacking managers annoys me and I'd like to see some real stability here, with some progress, building and plan for the future, rather than a hire and fire approach because some fans don't like Puel's interviews or type of football.

Funny how Benitez is worshiped in Newcastle, who play mostly dire football, but so many LCFC fans want Puel out whilst we are actually progressing as a club.

• Like 2

I think the club could well do with a bit of stability more than a new manager. The clubs had a rough time of it (think of all the day to day staff as-well) and there is still much more for our owner to sort out because of it. Stability and strong support from us would be the best signing this window. The team will click then i'm sure of it.  

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

When he has had funds for players he has done well. He wouldn't come here unless we gave him a large amount of money to spend on his choice of players.

Lets try it. ... we found money for ghezzel silva iborra slimani nacho. .. and several cbs.... we show we will spend it but in the last few seasons we got ndiddi and madison of any use

23 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

Depends what you mean by never - In 2015 -16 you're totally right. Under Shakespeare we just started lumping it long with no idea. They are 2 totally different things and it's important to remember that because there are many ignoramuses on here who seem to think they are the same thing.

You however are totally wrong, and I'm sick of having to explain football tactics to people who seem intent on rewriting history.

Let me preface this by explaining what 'that style of play' was when we won the league, because there's a lot of nonsense spouted about it being a long ball game or simply counter attacking football. Counter attacking football was just one element of it. It was based around a high press and both attacking and defending as a team. It was also based on individual players doing specific job. It mostly revolved around winning the ball high up the pitch and attacking with speed and numbers.

This is obviously the total opposite to how Puel plays. And yes it is also worth saying that this style is very similar to what both Liverpool and Manchester City play now - top teams with forward thinking, modern coaches. In our case particularly, the philosophy was clearly to get the ball and our players forwards as quickly as possible in order to prevent the opposition from getting organised. And sometimes this involved accurate, early long balls (often towards Vardy).

Now, getting back to you being wrong. We DID NOT, I'll repeat that, DID NOT try to play that style the season after we won the league. That is a fact, you can watch a re-run of the very first match against Hull if you like. That is why we were dull and poor that season, it's why we were dull and poor under Shakespeare and it's why we are dull and poor now.

Ranieri, incorrectly, thought we couldn't play that style without Kante and panicked, deciding instead to implement a slow tempo, possession based game that didn't and still doesn't work. Kante was always going to be a loss but we proved sporadically that we could still be a force when playing the 2015-16 way in a handful of games that season. 2 of these were against Manchester City (4-2) and Liverpool (3-1).

We even employed a lot of these aspects and a similar style in the run-in of our great escapre under Pearson, without Kante, against largely average, defensive teams. It's not a style of play that relies on teams coming at you, it's just a superior style of play, that most of the successful teams are playing now.

Almost every good and entertaining performance I can remember in recent years has been playing a positive, high pressing, high tempo game. You need high energy players to play this. You need players who have specific qualities; ball winners, pacey attackers, players who are talented enough and brave enough to get their head up early and take risks in possession. You do not need Mahrez and Kante.

No, we aren't going to win the league going back to this style because we have lost at least 2 world class players from 3 years ago. But if we did play that way we'd be slaughtering most of the teams in this league because we've still got Vardy, who was more key to that style of play than Mahrez or Kante was. We can't play it with Iheanacho because he's useless - but you can't play any style effectively with useless players. Hence why we need to buy the sort of players that suit this style of play.

We don't need to look after the ball better or 'control the game', we need to score more goals than the oppsition. Preferably, we should be scoring a lot, because that's a) fun and b) what football is about. Looking after the ball does not make you more likely to score, it doesn't even make you less likely to concede, contrary to popular belief. Forcing a team back makes them less likely to score. There is no such thing as controlling the game, a match can change in an instant so it's important that you give yourself the best chance of scoring plenty of goals in case they get a lucky one. It's just common sense.

As for Benitez, I think the mere mention of his name typifies where we've gone wrong over the last 3 seasons. It's not important how many trophies he has won, how long he has been in the game, or if he has Premier League experience. He is a has-been. He is the safe option. We need to start appointing managers who are the future. Managers who are interested in building something long term for themselves and a football club. Managers who have a positive philosophy and ambition and aren't just here to collect a paycheque.

This probably means we have never heard of them, and almost certainly means they haven't managed in the Premier League before.

What he said. Which is what I was trying to say but didn't have the motivation to explain so clearly. :pearson:

Your wasting your breath though fella. Apparently success = tippy tappy Arsenal hmmm when did they last win anything.....?  

Man city, Liverpool, Chelsea (the year they won it) all play direct counter attacking football with a high line and constant pressing. We started the trend, then sold out on it the year after. Still don't understand why.

4 hours ago, smr said:

I'd rather we went for Eddie Howe.

Eddie Howe had a go at another club and he failed miserably and apparently got homesick (being at Burnley LOL). He is Mr Bournemouth and has a very hands on approach to much of what goes on at that club. Im sure he has got qualities but he strikes me as a bit light-weight. I think he has the perfect set up but I am not convinced he can handle a bigger club with bigger expectations.