Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Tielemans Signs From Monaco; Silva Goes T’other Way

He might bring him off the bench for the first match but after that I expect him to earn and keep his place. Standard practice with new signings, especially young'uns

Think we've kind of already laid the foundations for him tactically, on Wednesday we named what looked like a 4-2-3-1 with Albrighton out wide but he was actually drifting around center-midfield and popping into advanced spaces when attacking which was a new role for him, in a 4-3-3 - this is where Tielemans should slot in. Tactically we rely heavily on Mendy for controlling play and it's just too much on his plate when he also has to cover Wilf giving the ball away and his own intermittent general sloppiness, another handy player in the midfield gives us more energy as a whole and so then control of matches as we've seen when Choudhury has played. So this should plug a couple of gaps for us, it's a shame if Hamza gets shuffled further back into the pack because he's earned the occasional start at least. Initially I thought Tielemans would be competition for Mendy but I can't see him being dropped and I can't immagine Maddison being left out either given we keep shifting him out wide to accomidate a 4-3-3 but overall it's still good competition for those players too

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bpfox said:

so we got are man , now watch puel, leave him sitting on the bench, like we do with most of are signings. GEE i hope this doesn't happen.

If that's what you think will happen, I'm not sure that you've watched Puel manage young players.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jaspa said:

He might bring him off the bench for the first match but after that I expect him to earn and keep his place. Standard practice with new signings, especially young'uns

Think we've kind of already laid the foundations for him tactically, on Wednesday we named what looked like a 4-2-3-1 with Albrighton out wide but he was actually drifting around center-midfield and popping into advanced spaces when attacking which was a new role for him, in a 4-3-3 - this is where Tielemans should slot in. Tactically we rely heavily on Mendy for controlling play and it's just too much on his plate when he also has to cover Wilf giving the ball away and his own intermittent general sloppiness, another handy player in the midfield gives us more energy as a whole and so then control of matches as we've seen when Choudhury has played. So this should plug a couple of gaps for us, it's a shame if Hamza gets shuffled further back into the pack because he's earned the occasional start at least. Initially I thought Tielemans would be competition for Mendy but I can't see him being dropped and I can't immagine Maddison being left out either given we keep shifting him out wide to accomidate a 4-3-3 but overall it's still good competition for those players too

I think he'll play deeper than Albrighton and play more centrally when we go with the "big 6 formation".  Truth is the formation will look different with Tielamans because there's no one on the squad who plays the way he plays.  Even when we go with a more creative side against bus-parkers, I believe he'll still lie fairly deep to start the attack and occasionally make bombing runs forward.

7 hours ago, That_Dude said:

I generally agree with most of your posts but I'm not quite following you here and that's quite the pessimistic take on the situation, imo. Furthermore we don't exactly know what happened behind the curtains and what are the real options at the end of the season.

We have a unique situation where two players are both not fancied by their respective managers, for whatever reason, and who both could bring something that the other team doesn't have. Everyone's winning in this case. We're crying out loud for a CM with an ability on the ball and we know that the Ndidi/Mendy combo is only a patch and not working against packed teams. It's been a recurring problem since Kanté moved to Chelsea. I'd rather pay similar wages for a player who's going to to start games and eventually bring something new rather than one who doesn't even make it to the bench. Even for 6 months. Because let's be clear, Silva has no future here. I like him, he seems like a nice bloke and wasn't captain of Portugal and SP Lisbon for naught. But a PL player he ain't and will never be, just like his pal Iborra. If he was 5-6 years younger, he maybe could've adapted but not in his thirties. The french league, slower and less physical, is more suited to him and I sincerely wish him all possible success there.

And what makes you think that the top 6 teams are going to knock at his door after a good half-season? He's known to be inconsistent and never lived up to his potential until now. Even if they come, he's not guaranteed to have the game time he'd get here. If I was him I'd rather wait to see how this season pans out and if things go well, play at least another one at our club. I trust Puel to help him regain his confidence and if he fires on all cylinder again, he could be a massive help in the chase after the 7th place. And you know that every place up on the PL table means more money and more chances to get a good player. It will also cement our reputation as a club who invest in youth and play them which makes us even more attractive for young talents expecting to have a chance in one of the most prestigious leagues in the world.

Our football would be also a bit more entertaining which isn't that bad. Especially at home :P.

Yes I'm fairness I can see the logic in all that particularly the fact that we don't really know what's been going on behind closed doors. My son tells me that the player Wolves have just signed was actually a done deal some months ago but the official transfer has only just been done now? Something to do with financial fair play avoidance,  of which I haven't a clue about those mysteries. Regarding other clubs it had been mentioned that a number of clubs had been tempted by him but due to his poor displays this season, had been reticent to sign him. I suppose I am being pessimistic that should he perform we'll be gazumped, must be a bad day I'm having ??

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

If he absolutely sets it alight for the next three months, he’ll have his pick of elite clubs. In the more likely event that he shows flashes but is inconsistent, he’ll probably have to choose between being a guaranteed starter for us or taking his chances for somebody like Tottenham.

I suppose if you don't risk you don't get in fairness. 

3 hours ago, bpfox said:

so we got are man , now watch puel, leave him sitting on the bench, like we do with most of are signings. GEE i hope this doesn't happen.

Can't think of an example of this this with the exception of Ghezzal who does play sporadically. He will have to evaluate him like any manager would and if he's good enough I'm sure he'll play. It's about trying to win football matches after all but compared to many  other managers in the premiership the one thing that can't be railed at Puel is that he doesn't give young players a chance!

6 hours ago, Rigga said:

Which is why I dont understand the move...

Its basically a 14 game loan, where he won’t feature in all those games..

Sounds like Silva without the transfer cost and age :ph34r:

Man, looking at Tielmans C.V. really reveals some numbers. Played in a Champions League match at 16. Even in this supposedly awful season he’s second in Monaco in goals (as a center mid) and has 19 created chances in 20 games. He may not be on his top for at the moment and we may not see it here in the next 14 games (or ever) but this kid is a special talent.

Edited by Deeg67

Not sure if this has been mentioned as I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm wondering if the much better performances of Mendy & Ndidi against Liverpool were anything to do with having Tielmans potential signing in the back of their minds?

Nothing like competition to focus the mind!

9 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned as I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm wondering if the much better performances of Mendy & Ndidi against Liverpool were anything to do with having Tielmans potential signing in the back of their minds?

Nothing like competition to focus the mind!

Maybe, but I'd be inclined to think they were better because against an opponent like Liverpool (or Chelsea, or Man. City) they're asked to do what they're good at and not what they're bad at.

2 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Maybe, but I'd be inclined to think they were better because against an opponent like Liverpool (or Chelsea, or Man. City) they're asked to do what they're good at and not what they're bad at.

Good point, but I thought their all round games were much sharper, passing, positioning and tackling.

5 hours ago, bpfox said:

That’s the spirit. Make something up to beat Puel with when we should be celebrating a potential great bit of business.

• Like 2

I’d propose to bin Mendy off all together. He’s done okay, but if Tielemans can settle and find his form he would be much more useful than Mendy. N’didi’s ability to retrieve the ball is much more useful than most of Mendy’s strengths. I’ve always thought Wilf plays much better with a more mobile/technically based player along side him. After manure, unless Tielemans fits like a hand in a glove before, I’d change the midfield two. It needs to be done. But I have a strange feeling that this loan was more to do with the club than Puel, every time he’s been asked about him he is very distant, but not dismissive as if to say “I don’t want him”? That’s the impression I get anyway.