Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Tielemans Signs From Monaco; Silva Goes T’other Way

If he can hit the ground running and get us into Europe then everyone’s a winner here. Hopefully Puel’s boner for the Mendy-Ndidi midfield 2 recedes and we actually get this lad in the side. 

Big atmos needed on Sunday 

• Like 2

Julien Laurens

French football expert on BBC Radio 5 live

Youri Tielemens suffered in France under the pressure of arriving at Monaco as the Belgian wonder kid. He struggled for consistency but he has lots of talent and he could perform at Leicester in his preferred position as an attacking midfielder.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

But the alternative is Mendy and Ndidi which we know against deep defending teams is not good enough and it's becoming a horrible place is our home ground. Also we stand a better chance than most clubs at a permanent deal if he likes it here, mind you I suspect he'll do very well and we will have a tough job but he could be the marquee signing we have been missing in the last few years.

I certainly agree re the latter. But Spurs, who have allegedly been sniffing for a while can now get to see a free trial. If he's good, which club do you think he'd choose? 

Absolute magic! We are massive. What a player, what a signing. Absolutely buzzing to see him playing. Put him straight in the team for Sunday. Welcome to Leicester City FC Youri! 

14 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I certainly agree re the latter. But Spurs, who have allegedly been sniffing for a while can now get to see a free trial. If he's good, which club do you think he'd choose? 

We have to decide whether we are prepared to break our transfer record, with spending tightening it could be difficult but he's likely to be worth it. I think at his age he might want to be the big fish in a small pond again and rebuild that reputation he had at Anderlecht, then when he's 23/24 go to one of the best teams in Europe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

With no option to buy clause, I really can't see the point of this contrary to popular opinion on here. If as stated, he was to play most of the games he would be taking the place of and game time experience from someone else we could be integrating into the squad or trying to evaluate like Barnes etc. If he's successful,  he will merely, it appears, return to Monaco with an inflated buying price and make no mistake, if he was offered a deal at any London club or Manchester, where do you think he'd choose? For the odd extra win and a couple of places higher in the league table this season it holds no attraction for me, it's about getting our young players firmly bedded for next year or the release of any of them if felt that they're not going to be up to standard.  Apparently his and Silvas wages are not disimilar so little point there financially, though Monaco are gaining an experienced player in a relegation battle. Once Silva has served his purpise there this season are Monaco a club wanting to buy a 30 something Premiership reject? Financially it doesn't appear  to make sense, at least if Silva went to some Turkish club for half his wages we'd be getting some kind of recompense. Even if we could get Kane, Martial or Rashford for a couple of months, what would be the longer term point be if we were only going to give them back? Even the vague chance of a place in the knockout stages of a minor European competition at this point in our development could cause more harm than good and wouldn't be an attraction for me. It does perhaps I concede put Silva in some kind of shop window, though in comparison to our buying price he would appear to be no better than bargain basement goods now in purely financial terms.

I generally agree with most of your posts but I'm not quite following you here and that's quite the pessimistic take on the situation, imo. Furthermore we don't exactly know what happened behind the curtains and what are the real options at the end of the season.

We have a unique situation where two players are both not fancied by their respective managers, for whatever reason, and who both could bring something that the other team doesn't have. Everyone's winning in this case. We're crying out loud for a CM with an ability on the ball and we know that the Ndidi/Mendy combo is only a patch and not working against packed teams. It's been a recurring problem since Kanté moved to Chelsea. I'd rather pay similar wages for a player who's going to to start games and eventually bring something new rather than one who doesn't even make it to the bench. Even for 6 months. Because let's be clear, Silva has no future here. I like him, he seems like a nice bloke and wasn't captain of Portugal and SP Lisbon for naught. But a PL player he ain't and will never be, just like his pal Iborra. If he was 5-6 years younger, he maybe could've adapted but not in his thirties. The french league, slower and less physical, is more suited to him and I sincerely wish him all possible success there.

And what makes you think that the top 6 teams are going to knock at his door after a good half-season? He's known to be inconsistent and never lived up to his potential until now. Even if they come, he's not guaranteed to have the game time he'd get here. If I was him I'd rather wait to see how this season pans out and if things go well, play at least another one at our club. I trust Puel to help him regain his confidence and if he fires on all cylinder again, he could be a massive help in the chase after the 7th place. And you know that every place up on the PL table means more money and more chances to get a good player. It will also cement our reputation as a club who invest in youth and play them which makes us even more attractive for young talents expecting to have a chance in one of the most prestigious leagues in the world.

Our football would be also a bit more entertaining which isn't that bad. Especially at home :P.

Edited by That_Dude
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Who cares. The other option is keep silvawho won't play, won't increase his value and it will be a giant waste of everyone's time. He fills a gap, if he goes we get someone else.

• Like 3

Why they letting him go? ??‍♂️

I dont know anything about this guy but seems weird they are letting him go when they are in trouble. 

Lots on here were stroking one off over Jardim potentially coming here but the guy is willing to let him go, what’s the story ?

30 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Suppose Spurs dip in the latter part of the season, win nothing, their manager leaves, so do some of their top stars - all of this is possible. Suppose Tielemans has a successful spell with us, we make an impressive end to the season, Tielemans beds in well in the club and enjoys it, and sees that the owners are ambitious and rich - all this is possible.

Then he might well see us as the preferred option compared with Spurs.

26 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Julien Laurens

Youri Tielemens suffered in France under the pressure of arriving at Monaco as the Belgian wonder kid. He struggled for consistency but he has lots of talent and he could perform at Leicester in his preferred position as an attacking midfielder.

Well spotted. So all this talk has been more about replacing Ndidi or Mendy, but Maddison is also under pressure from our new arrival.

We need options, so I am happy.

1 minute ago, Filbert_Ross said:

Why they letting him go? ??‍♂️

I dont know anything about this guy but seems weird they are letting him go when they are in trouble. 

Lots on here were stroking one off over Jardim potentially coming here but the guy is willing to let him go, what’s the story ?

Allegedly had a bust up with the manager. Don't think the player's quality is in doubt, but the two don't get on. Think Pogba and Mourinho. It happens.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

If he absolutely sets it alight for the next three months, he’ll have his pick of elite clubs. In the more likely event that he shows flashes but is inconsistent, he’ll probably have to choose between being a guaranteed starter for us or taking his chances for somebody like Tottenham.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

Well spotted. So all this talk has been more about replacing Ndidi or Mendy, but Maddison is also under pressure from our new arrival.

We need options, so I am happy.

He's a box-to-box midfielder, a classic number 8. In theory he could play instead of Maddison, but I'd imagine he's been brought to compliment him and make us more creative against teams who sit back against us at home.

• Like 2

There is no way Daniel Levy will pay the price Monaco will want for Tielemens. Hence why we’ve got him and he hasn’t gone there despite all the sniffing they’ve been doing.

This is the most excited i’ve been for a signing in a long time, I hope the lad does well for us and helps take us to the level we know the team is capable of. 

38 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Julien Laurens

'Football expert'. Yet Youri says his best position is as a box to box midfielder (which has been the case his whole career)

:doh:

Really looking forward to seeing him play. If we can kick on and grab seventh and potentially get a Europa League place, we have a great chance of a permanent deal, especially if Jardim remains the Monaco coach beyond the end of the season.

A word on Silva, I think he'll thrive there under a coach who likes him and knows him. Let's not forgot Adrien is half French and spent the first 10 years of his life there, so he may feel more at home there than he does in Leicester. A good Silva also gives us a great bargaining chip if we want to do a permanent deal for Tielemans in the summer.

Happy days. Good luck Youri, good luck Adrien. Great deal all round so far. :scarf:

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We have to decide whether we are prepared to break our transfer record, with spending tightening it could be difficult but he's likely to be worth it. I think at his age he might want to be the big fish in a small pond again and rebuild that reputation he had at Anderlecht, then when he's 23/24 go to one of the best teams in Europe. 

We’re going to break it on somebody this summer.  Maybe it will be Tielmans, maybe Brais Mendez (one can dream of how dynamic we’d be with both).

• Like 2