Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Mee-9

Puel Gone - Official

5 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

What are you talking about? The dead wood you refer to won the Premier League by ten points and ran Atlético Madrid very close in a Champions League Quarter Final less than two years ago. Yes that’s right a CLQF in April 2017!! That is a marvellous inheritance for any manager - and while the team needed renewal and improvement it did not need the wholesale changes diagnosed....it’s this unprecedented act of “self harm” -  taking a club side at the absolute summit of its historical achievements and deciding to tear it all down in the name of a footballing philosophy that is what has brought about the downfall of two managers and the complete waste of a huge footballing inheritance..

I'm sorry but the squad needed massive surgery, we had a group of players whose prime was behind them all well into their 30's and a load of expensive flops not good enough.

Tell me who should still be playing that isn't?

• Like 4

Inevitable, good sound ideas promoting youth but ultimately you live and die by results, I think his inability to change tactics was his downfall, our game stats to an outsider would look impressive, possession, shots etc but the majority of our possession would be in ineffective areas and our shots hardly ever clear cut chances. 

I would of loved him to of tried 3 at the back with our 2 great wing backs either side, but no, it’s a shame now let’s see what a new man can do.

3 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

What are you talking about? The dead wood you refer to won the Premier League by ten points and ran Atlético Madrid very close in a Champions League Quarter Final less than two years ago. Yes that’s right a CLQF in April 2017!! That is a marvellous inheritance for any manager - and while the team needed renewal and improvement it did not need the wholesale changes diagnosed....it’s this unprecedented act of “self harm” -  taking a club side at the absolute summit of its historical achievements and deciding to tear it all down in the name of a footballing philosophy that is what has brought about the downfall of two managers and the complete waste of a huge footballing inheritance..

Under Puel we've sold/released Ulloa, Huth, Benalouane, Hamer and Musa from that CLQF (not counting Mahrez because we all know that's not a transfer we wanted to make), while trying to get rid of Slimani, likely getting rid of Morgan, Simpson, Fuchs, King and Okazaki this summer. None of those had a future under any manager barring a modern day dad's army type (Like Micky Adams). They all needed to go, their best days were well behind them - don't let nostalgia fool you.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

No. Because grim, ad hominem attacks on a single individual have been their sole contribution to this forum.

If you are clearly out of your depth and verging on incompetent and you are the leader of the team then it is hardly surprising you get singled out.

The problem is there is a lot of people on this forum who had blind faith and now are trying to turn the attention elsewhere rather than just accepting and admitting they were wrong.

• Like 1

Just now, st albans fox said:

If Nigel came back and had a decent run of results then everyone  would clamour for him to get the job full time .......which wouldn’t be the right thing going forward. 

Agreed, that just kicks the can down the road (until his next public throttling, which might have been useful yesterday mind...)

1 hour ago, Paddy. said:

I've no doubt he's a very good manager in France but he's just not suited to the English game.

Still think his philosophy was broadly correct and he's done some good work off the pitch but if you can't inspire the players then it's all academic.

Maybe I'm deluded but I still think, in the future we might look back on Puel's time and say he set the foundations for something good. Sacking him is sadly the only real option though.

Can't agree with this more.

Puel has done a lot right at the club, and completely switched our focus. We were in a hangover after the title/CL campaigns and needed a huge overhaul of style and playing staff, and there's not much he's done wrong in that regard.

That being said, results (and performances) are vitally important as well, yet Puel hasn't been able to bring everything together. There's not many managers who can do both - especially without a ridiculous budget - so it's not too surprising.

Ultimately I stand by my previous view that Puel was the right man to lay the foundations for the future, but after seeing us up he clearly wasn't able to carry us forward.

Hopefully the new manager has a bit more success in that regard. I'd be content with Rodgers.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Under Puel we've sold/released Ulloa, Huth, Benalouane, Hamer and Musa from that CLQF (not counting Mahrez because we all know that's not a transfer we wanted to make), while trying to get rid of Slimani, likely getting rid of Morgan, Simpson, Fuchs, King and Okazaki this summer. None of those had a future under any manager barring a modern day dad's army type (Like Micky Adams). They all needed to go, their best days were well behind them - don't let nostalgia fool you.

I think Ulloa could still have done a job as backup (in place of Slimani) and was sad to see him go, but otherwise agree with this on the whole.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

I agree, it WAS the right idea, and a conclusion of “cos he is sh*t" is childish and not helpful for future judgements on managerial appointments.

On the flip side, he did need to go, he had clearly affronted the universe, his luck (or sabotage if that’s to you preference) was tragic 

Yep I think saying the club had no idea in terms of his appointment is being disingenuous. The idea behind backing a man with an actual long term strategy was great just the execution was poor. 

He was given more than enough time to improve home results and to be honest I think it’s great the club acted so soon after the defeat. It’s the right decision. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

Pleat the worst by far as he was long term hopeless and given loads of time to be hopeless.Very much a Puel type.It was like a revolution when he and Shipman got the boot.

Agree with that ( though as has been pointed out, Pleat didn't divide supporters - EVERYBODY hated him!)

Martin George & Brian Little heralded  good times for us. Let's hope for a similar revival now. I'm optimistic - we've got some great young players. With the right man in charge we could be in for a few good years.

I was prepared to give him until the summer (when he was going anyway) until the spurs game and his ridiculous team selection .    

thats when I called for him to go straight away.  I did mention some weeks ago about the toxicity behind the scenes ........  we do need some tactical nouse ..... I believe the remaining backroom staff will maintain a happy ship now but we can’t rely on that to get results till may.  OGS at Man U is changing tactics to suit the opposition and getting results - it’s isnt just happy players - we need some savvy heads planning for games.   That counts out Pearson ..... is Appleton tactically astute ??.  I have no idea. 

5 minutes ago, Ian S said:

If you are clearly out of your depth and verging on incompetent and you are the leader of the team then it is hardly surprising you get singled out.

The problem is there is a lot of people on this forum who had blind faith and now are trying to turn the attention elsewhere rather than just accepting and admitting they were wrong.

Thank you 

???????

1 hour ago, Lesta Legend said:

I’ll mirror the sentiment he did oversee important changes, that needed to be made. And the use of youth to the extent is something that is unrivalled at this level in this day and age. Something to be proud of and I hope a legacy that continues. 

However, it was painfully obvious that his system didn’t work, he was far to cautious and inflexible in his approach to adapt with the players we CURRENTLY have, no plan b, poor man management skills non existent. I hoped he’d of adapted implementing his own changes and in time his true system would have eventually evolved but alas he wasn’t gonna change. 

The youth that he used were products of the academy - Barnes, Chilwell, Choudhury - who would have been playing in the first team, so why does Puel get the credit for this? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

I was prepared to give him until the summer (when he was going anyway) until the spurs game and his ridiculous team selection .    

thats when I called for him to go straight away.  I did mention some weeks ago about the toxicity behind the scenes ........  we do need some tactical nouse ..... I believe the remaining backroom staff will maintain a happy ship now but we can’t rely on that to get results till may.  OGS at Man U is changing tactics to suit the opposition and getting results - it’s isnt just happy players - we need some savvy heads planning for games.   That counts out Pearson ..... is Appleton tactically astute ??.  I have no idea. 

I'd be in favour of Appleton as caretaker and see how we go. Can you imagine Redknap FFS!

2 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

I wouldn’t be opposed to Appleton or Pearson on an interim basis until the end of the season.

What's so great about Appleton - League One Manager. Please no - it was embarrassing having him as Shakey's Assistant

Edited by 49er

Anyone dismissing Pearson needs to remember that he is probably the best manager we have had at the club for as long as i've been watching us, I don't think he has lost touch that much especially with us and he probably know a load of the team already and they respect him.

The club should give him another chance I recon, he wasn't sacked because of results lets remember or the team he built.

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Like 1