Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Summer Targets

18 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Thanks. Note to Self - don`t jump on threads at the last post :thumbup:

And I agree with your post about Bailey should not be discounted (Like Pavon. cough)

Pavon is a funny one, career seems to have gone off a cliff since the World Cup, struggling to get in the Boca side now and rumoured to be away to LA Galaxy for $9m.

2 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

Would be amazed if Pepe ended up at a club like Everton given some of the clubs who are rumoured to have strong interest in him, clubs like Liverpool, Bayern Munich and Inter Milan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ALC Fox said:

Huge statement from them if they land Pepe, although I'm not sure that one of the big boys would allow that to happen.

The BBC gossip column also has them in for Malcolm (£31.5m bid) and Juventus' Moise Kean (€30m bid rejected). Both of those players are in positions we want to strengthen, and if Everton have a chance of signing them then I'd like to think we do too.

Of course a lot might now depend on money we bring in (e.g. selling Maguire). If we did, going in for one of the above would be another statement of intent from us.

Malcolm would be a good shout for the much discussed wide player still required imo.  Sort of player I could see Rodgers really getting the best out of.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

Everton are going under the radar. Despite most people in agreement that their last two seasons they have been poor, they still finished ahead of us both times. Last season though they waited right till the end of the window, Digne, Bernard, Zouma and Gomes are all quality players. Moshiri is loaded and not afraid to spend. They will definitely sign a minimum of one big money marquee signing this summer for sure.

Our one advantage over them I feel is that we have more of a team bond and ethic. I also feel there is a much stronger connection between players and fans here. Everton fans are really quiet (they don't even sing when they are winning!) whereas I feel one big reason Tielemans signed for us is that he felt the love the fans gave him. A stark contrast to his time at Monaco for sure! But is that enough to be better than them? It will remain to be seen. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

On what basis?  Who would you like to see brung in instead?

We've made a success for ourselves by making sure we sign players that fit not only a skill profile we need but a personality one too. 

It started with Pearson. He wouldn't bring anyone in to the club that wasn't a hard working, competitive battler. Even Riyad, for all he got branded lazy here, worked significantly harder than a lot of "flair" players in the league. 

My fear, looking at Congerton's track record, is that he seems to favour technically gifted misfits with skill and no heart. Perez reassured me a little, he's known for his graft and defensive work rate. 

Malcom would fit the Congerton profile exactly and make me severely uneasy. Former Football Manager wonderkid with sketchy rate of actual delivery in the real world and a reputation for being lazy and inconsistent. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Everton are going under the radar. Despite most people in agreement that their last two seasons they have been poor, they still finished ahead of us both times. Last season though they waited right till the end of the window, Digne, Bernard, Zouma and Gomes are all quality players. Moshiri is loaded and not afraid to spend. They will definitely sign a minimum of one big money marquee signing this summer for sure.

Our one advantage over them I feel is that we have more of a team bond and ethic. I also feel there is a much stronger connection between players and fans here. Everton fans are really quiet (they don't even sing when they are winning!) whereas I feel one big reason Tielemans signed for us is that he felt the love the fans gave him. A stark contrast to his time at Monaco for sure! But is that enough to be better than them? It will remain to be seen. 

A good point.  One big missing piece of the jigsaw last season for Everton was lack of a decent striker as Calvert-Lewin is about as dangerous as a balloon on the end of a stick.  If they manage to get a 15-20 goal a season striker then they could be a dangerous proposition.  Like you say they made some very good signings last season in guys like Digne and Gomes particularly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

We've made a success for ourselves by making sure we sign players that fit not only a skill profile we need but a personality one too. 

It started with Pearson. He wouldn't bring anyone in to the club that wasn't a hard working, competitive battler. Even Riyad, for all he got branded lazy here, worked significantly harder than a lot of "flair" players in the league. 

My fear, looking at Congerton's track record, is that he seems to favour technically gifted misfits with skill and no heart. Perez reassured me a little, he's known for his graft and defensive work rate. 

Malcom would fit the Congerton profile exactly and make me severely uneasy. Former Football Manager wonderkid with sketchy rate of actual delivery in the real world and a reputation for being lazy and inconsistent. 

Fair points.

Everton have a very good squad with a couple of weaknesses, I feel we are still only about on a par with them really but we do have a better manager, a world class finisher and then a smattering of great young players. Tielemans is better than anything they have in midfield but they also have some solid and experienced midfielders.

I expect us to be the better side but they are going about their business with much less fanfare than we are and it wouldn't be a huge surprise if they were every bit as good as us next season.

• Like 2

I think all of the top teams in "Premier League B" see the same thing we do - this season looks like a rare opportunity.  After Man City and Liverpool, everything is wide open.  Man U., Chelsea and Arsenal look as weak as they have for a decade or more.  If there was ever an opportunity to seize the moment and sneak into the cash windfall of a Champions League campaign, this season is it.  And they're all doing the same thing we are, trying to seize the moment.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I think all of the top teams in "Premier League B" see the same thing we do - this season looks like a rare opportunity.  After Man City and Liverpool, everything is wide open.  Man U., Chelsea and Arsenal look as weak as they have for a decade or more.  If there was ever an opportunity to seize the moment and sneak into the cash windfall of a Champions League campaign, this season is it.  And they're all doing the same thing we are, trying to seize the moment.

Which means that next year, there are gonna be some cracking players for sale to the teams who do finish top 4/6. 

If we make a real attempt at it. Sign another £40m player. Sign a guy like Praet or McGregor for back up AND keep all our best players and we DON'T make top 4/6..... There is no doubt we will need to balance the books next year and we will no doubt see 2/3 of our best players leave. That goes for wolves/Everton/West ham.... and anyone else that spends big and tries to capitalise on a weakened top 4. Not all these teams are gonna make it so the ones that don't? They will be ripe for the picking next season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

If Everton sign a real striker, I could see them easily finishing above us. 

I'd of loved Sigurdsson at LCFC - who we certainly missed out on, don't mind admitting it.

3 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I'd of loved Sigurdsson at LCFC - who we certainly missed out on, don't mind admitting it.

Oh yeah. If Maddison improves this season, he'll basically offer us what Sigurdsson would have offered us two seasons ago. If we had him all this time, we'd have had a much smoother last two years. 

• Like 1

IF Maguire should leave, then why not take a punt on Shkodran Mustafi? Apparently wants out of Arsenal, the club won't let him go at the minute, because they have a centre-back issue (see Koscielny not wanting to play for them any longer).

I see he's had a bit of a shocker of a season in 18/19, but there's a very good defender there somewhere. Done very well before.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

IF Maguire should leave, then why not take a punt on Shkodran Mustafi? Apparently wants out of Arsenal, the club won't let him go at the minute, because they have a centre-back issue (see Koscielny not wanting to play for them any longer).

I see he's had a bit of a shocker of a season in 18/19, but there's a very good defender there somewhere. Done very well before.

Avoid all players with any association with Arsenal. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Are you mad!? 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Genuinely believe he's amongst the worst defenders in the Premier League. No idea what you see in him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

What kind of drugs did you take this morning?

• Haha 1