Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The Managers: Martin O’Neill, 1995-2000

20 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Seems strange to say it, but still to this day, after everything that's happened - probably my favourite manager. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and I'm looking back through adolescent blue-tinted specs... But he had an aura about him that I loved as a kid.

And f**k me that team he built was good.

Yes, he was a superb manager and probably my favourite too.

He created the team almost from scratch and it was tremendously under rated in my book - Just about got there with Emile and Collymore upfront and then Celtic came in and took him away.

How times have changed!

Edited by Crazy Kop Corner

I had been thinking that the achievements of the O'Neill era had largely been superseded by what we achieved in 2015/16 and the size and stature of the club since.

When I think about it now I realise that we haven't yet been able to manage what MON did. That's 4 consecutive top half finishes and never looking in danger of relegation. That's quite some going and was pretty hard to achieve then as it is now.

How quickly it unravelled after he left - but we'll leave that to the next instalment.

Agree with the 'aura' comment above. He just seemed to get it done, and I've never had so much confidence in a manager being able to send a Leicester team out to get a result when it mattered. The only big game we lost in that period was the 99 league cup final.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

Seems strange to say it, but still to this day, after everything that's happened - probably my favourite manager. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and I'm looking back through adolescent blue-tinted specs... But he had an aura about him that I loved as a kid.

I know what you mean, he was here for nearly 5 years and we were successful nearly every season for a very ordinary club and it was just a magical time. Obviously what we achieved under Ranieri was beyond words but it didn't and still doesn't feel real. nIt was also very quickly over, where as we had a long time to really enjoy the O'Neill years.

The Wembley trips under first Brian Little and then MON especially the League Cup ones became an annual procession and spawned rituals that we ended up looking forward to and doing every year, magical times even when we lost.

History does matter if you've experienced it as it's a deeply emotional thing.

• Like 2

My favourite manager too.

I think that his strength was sheer force of personality,  He is somebody that could read out a shopping list and still have me transfixed.  Huge charisma.  I bet he made the players feel 10 feet tall.

Such a shame that the relationship with the fans was forever sullied by that Sheff United game, he never forgave us and we still never learn.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 4

My fav manager. And I think that's because of his success with us and just as importantly his charisma and personality. I like the way he speaks, very thoughtfully and intelligently. He's got a nice charm about him. A very clever man, a clever manager, and he seemed great at man-management. 

I missed out on 92' against blackburn but went to all the wembley games since and that's mostly thanks to MON. Strangely though, despite saying this. I remember as a kid being more pissed off about Little going to Villa than MON going to Celtic. 

Edited by smr
  • Like 3

Oh, another thing. I love the way he wore his boots even as manager, and still does today.... 

He still does, was wearing his boots and trackies against derby the other week. Love his mannerisms as well and the way he turns around and punches the air etc. haha

Definitely my favourite ever manager. He was not only highly successful but he also had such charisma. His interviews were so entertaining and his man management skills were second to none.  I recall how he used to put Savage, who clearly had the ego the size of a small country, firmly in his place in his after match comments by saying things like, "I've told Robbie that when he wins the ball he needs to give it straight to someone who can play football." I also remember how he got invited to be on the BBC's panel for the 1998 World Cup and they had Robbie Williams as a guest. O'Neill looked him in the face and said something like, "To be fair, Robbie, you've done much better than I thought as I'll be honest I always thought Gary Barlow was the talented one!" Comedy gold!

And I loved the fact that the team he built had so much character. There were some huge and difficult personalities in that team but he was always fully in control. He signed some superb players for us for very small fees eg Flowers, Elliot, Lennon, Izzet, Claridge, to name but a few.

God. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I know what you mean, he was here for nearly 5 years and we were successful nearly every season for a very ordinary club and it was just a magical time. Obviously what we achieved under Ranieri was beyond words but it didn't and still doesn't feel real. nIt was also very quickly over, where as we had a long time to really enjoy the O'Neill years.

Agree with that. The title win was too big & crazy to really take in. More like a film I once saw than something that actually happened.

And we seem to have more or less floundered since them. Fans as well as the team & managers.

Hopefully, BR can spark something again, but I have to say I've got my doubts.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, smr said:

My fav manager. And I think that's because of his success with us and just as importantly his charisma and personality. I like the way he speaks, very thoughtfully and intelligently. He's got a nice charm about him. A very clever man, a clever manager, and he seemed great at man-management. 

I missed out on 92' against blackburn but went to all the wembley games since and that's mostly thanks to MON. Strangely though, despite saying this. I remember as a kid being more pissed off about Little going to Villa than MON going to Celtic. 

Even my DAD complained about Little going to Villa, (and not much about MON to Celtic), (my Dad being a bone fide rugby fan above all - it normally takes something special for any other sport to be noticed.)

• Like 1

Alongside Ranieri as being Leicester's greatest manager. Always felt though Martin had unfinished business here, if wasn't for a smaller budget and poor ground at the time then I think Martin could have took the Foxes to the champions league. I think the time for Martin to have had returned would have been after Ranieri left in 2017, with the squad we had then it would have been interesting to have seen what he could have developed then. 

Superb manager. Was an exceptional period in our history. 2 league cups, a league cup runner up appearance, 2 european campaigns, great league finishes and some of the most iconic goals of my memory as a fan.

Im thinking collymore v sunderland, izzet v spurs, guppy v chelsea, elliotts header vs villa in the league cup semi....

Great times

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RoboFox said:

I agree. O'Neill gave us something to shout about and really brought the club to the fore. 

He hasn't moved with he times though, which is a pity.

For that magical moment against Crystal Palace at Wembley, which is the only time in that I've ever experienced real life pass in slow motion, and which was followed by about 30 seconds of utter screaming mad gutteral joy, when I ended up a few rows away from where I'd started, Martin O'Neill and his team have my eternal gratitude. 

:scarf:

I don't even care that he now manages Forest.  I hope he gets them promoted. 

My God I've mellowed with age.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1