Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The Managers: Martin O’Neill, 1995-2000

On 08/12/2022 at 18:05, CosbehFox said:

Don’t doubt it but just saying that the money from Heskey’s departure might not have been used as well as we like to think. 

Gunnlaugsson should be up there as one of our worst ever top flight players. 

Just to add.I’m sure MON was interested in buying Paulo Wanchope as Heskey’s replacement.

On 08/12/2022 at 22:12, Sampson said:

People forget that great starts to seasons was always always really typical of us under O’Neill anyway to be fair, so even though we were never made it to the top, it certainly wasn’t unusual for us to be 5th in the league or something in October/November time. It was kind of indicative of his sides anyway.

We’d come flying out the blocks and start the season really well. Then would be poor over the winter months and often go on lengthy winless runs between November-March and drop down to the bottom half, before ending the season really well and climbing back to mid-table.

It’s often quite typical of PL clubs with a good XI but no real depth. Brighton have been a similar modern example in the last couple of seasons too. Bolton under Sam Allardyce often had a similar seasonal U-curve too.

I think the League Cup runs hindered us in that respect, he went fully in on them and with quarters and semi finals in December and early New Year with a small squad. Once the League Cup was done we then focused totally on the league.

Loved that era, was between the ages of 6 and 10 and really getting into football. Still plenty of games at 3pm and the League Cup runs were thrilling. Think the real disappointments of his reign were the FA Cup attempts and Europe.

On 09/12/2022 at 14:50, CosbehFox said:

Had to take their away end from that night out for a slap up meal as a sorry!

It was a meal & a Q&A with him setup by the club for the fans that went I think. My friend went to Moscow then the dinner that they had put on, he’s never liked MON since. 

By all accounts he didn’t agree with what the club had done and basically stood at the Q&A night saying he didn’t want to be there, it was his decision to put that team out and he stands by it. From then on he lost the support of the fans.

On 09/12/2022 at 10:47, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Talking from a Celtic point of view but absolutely love the man to this day, could still listen to him speak all day and is the greatest Celtic manager I've seen in my lifetime by some distance.

Had the pleasure of meeting him once or twice and they say never meet your heroes but he was the exception to this rule, he was brilliant, so friendly and genuinely interested in what he had to say!

He was the catalyst for a huge power shift in Glasgow that remains to this day, Celtic have won 16 out of 22 titles since he arrived and probably about 80% of all trophies on offer.

We don't call him blessed Martin in Glasgow for nothing.

Yeah for me he’s always a legend. Was manager when I was between the ages 14-19 so for me a very formative. Will always love him and those cup runs will always be amazing to me, almost as amazing as the PL winning season. Part of it is probably just that I was at the right age but I absolutely loved him. And I loved pretty much every player of that era too. Was a great team. I can’t separate MON, Pearson and Claudio as my al time favourite manager. It’s a three way tie. 

• Like 4

On 11/12/2022 at 12:02, Heathrow fox said:

Just to add.I’m sure MON was interested in buying Paulo Wanchope as Heskey’s replacement.

I also remember Sutton and Hartson were heavily linked with us at the time. No surprise that both were early signings for him at Celtic. To be honest one of those three would've been very effective for us back then. Wanchope and Collymore couldve been quite an exciting strike force. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I also remember Sutton and Hartson were heavily linked with us at the time. No surprise that both were early signings for him at Celtic. To be honest one of those three would've been very effective for us back then. Wanchope and Collymore couldve been quite an exciting strike force. 

That’s right.Both we’re always in that 6/8 million bracket which was beyond us back then.I think MON went in for Hartson when he was at WH got the knock back and so did a deal for Impey instead,which gave Redknapp the hump as it was done without his approval.I seem to remember Peter Taylor trying to get him from Coventry but again not having the dough and settling for Scowcroft.

Wanchope really could’ve gone either way I think.

• Like 1

I think I was about 15/16 when he joined and so many things were happening around that time. The whole Britpop scene, Cool Brittania, change of government after about 18 years... it was all going off. And we suddenly had this guy who was both well-spoken and a jack in the box character on the touchline AND was getting us winning games. It's probably why despite anything Ranieri achieved and all of Pearson's records and winning campaigns that MON is still my favourite manager.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

https://www.lcfc.com/news/3055797/martin-oneill-to-host-book-signing-on-filbert-way-this-month

Martin O’Neill To Host Book Signing On Filbert Way This Month!

Legendary former Leicester City manager Martin O'Neill is confirmed as our special guest on the anniversary of his side’s 2000 League Cup triumph (27 February) for the Club’s latest book event, in which the Northern Irishman will sign copies of his new autobiography.

- Martin O’Neill is to hold a book signing session at King Power Stadium on Monday 27 February (7pm to 9:30pm)
- Tickets are priced at £22 and include a copy of ‘On Days Like These’ to be signed, plus an exclusive event gift and in-store merch offers*
- Season Ticket Holders and Fox Members will benefit from a priority booking window, which runs until 5pm on Monday 13 February at LCFC.com/tickets
- Tickets will be released to general sale thereafter, subject to availability

In another exciting event for the Blue Army, fan favourite O’Neill will welcome supporters to the Foxes Fanstore on Monday 27 February - a date which holds special significance in the Club’s history - to sign copies of his new book and host an exclusive Q&A.

‘On Days Like These’ tells the story of the Kilrea-born manager’s remarkable career in the game and touches on O’Neill’s four-and-a-half seasons as Leicester City manager, which won him an honoured place in the Club’s history. These seasons saw promotion via the play-offs, four consecutive top half Premier League finishes, three League Cup finals, two of which ended with wins and two qualifications for the UEFA Cup, plus many more highlights which feature in this Macmillan-published release.

The special signing event has limited availability (150 places), with one ticket comprising of one book and entry (strictly) per person.**

As a nod to our former manager’s appearance in the Foxes Fanstore this month, attendees can also benefit from generous reductions on selected Fox Leisure-branded items from the Club’s popular retro collection, to include the 1998-2000 home shirt in which City lifted their second League Cup under O’Neill’s stewardship. These promotions will apply exclusively in-store during the event period.

2022/23 Season Ticket Holders and Fox Members should click HERE or call 0344 815 5000 (Option 1) to secure their place!

Bookers will be emailed prior to the event with full details of what to expect on the day. All attendees will be required to show booking confirmation on arrival to gain access. The Club reminds supporters who attend to ensure they wear weather-appropriate clothing for queuing. Toilet facilities will be available.

* Supporters must be able to attend the event to collect their book; no postage options are available.

**To purchase a ticket for this event, supporters are required to have an LCFC.com account and must have a complete profile to enable ticket purchases. If you do not have an account, click HERE for information on how to sign up for free.

Nice to see this thread bumped. MON is an absolute Leicester legend. For me he's our runner up GOAT just a shade behind Pearson. 

An odd man in many ways and the game did leave him behind but in his pomp he was absolutely driven and a genius motivator. For me you can draw a comparison with Sean Dyche. A bloke who is easy to dislike but has obvious charisma and who's football was a lot more nuanced than he got credit for. 

I absolutely never thought we would surpass the MON era 10 yeas ago but here we are. 😎

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Nice to see this thread bumped. MON is an absolute Leicester legend. For me he's our runner up GOAT just a shade behind Pearson. 

An odd man in many ways and the game did leave him behind but in his pomp he was absolutely driven and a genius motivator. For me you can draw a comparison with Sean Dyche. A bloke who is easy to dislike but has obvious charisma and who's football was a lot more nuanced than he got credit for. 

I absolutely never thought we would surpass the MON era 10 yeas ago but here we are. 😎

Not intending to be confrontational but by what criteria do you come to that conclusion? 

19 hours ago, l444ry said:

Not intending to be confrontational but by what criteria do you come to that conclusion? 

Age mate pure and simple I was a late teen for the Pearson years and missed out on most the MON era. Pearson was the first successful manager after a long long line of duds. I daresay age comes into it too for those who this MON is our greatest ever.

Will also say that NP's stats back it up too to some extent but yeah - subjective isn't it.

19 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I like your sentiment but have to disagree. 

He's miles and miles above Pearson (and Dyche) in terms of managerial ability. And charisma.  

I think odd is a bit harsh too. I think he's simply more intelligent than your average Joe and therefore, maybe has a weeny bit of aloofness about him. But, socially, he's actually charm personified (even if it might be a little affected)

I've never met MON and will take your word for it. Odd was definitely the wrong choice of word. He could come over as extremely strong willed and a bit stubborn at times and I could well imagine him being a slightly abrasive type to be around a la Roy Keane.  This is all a moot point anyhow football management is about winning and MON was pretty good at that :scarf:

• Like 2

On 14/12/2022 at 03:58, iancognito said:

I think I was about 15/16 when he joined and so many things were happening around that time. The whole Britpop scene, Cool Brittania, change of government after about 18 years... it was all going off. And we suddenly had this guy who was both well-spoken and a jack in the box character on the touchline AND was getting us winning games. It's probably why despite anything Ranieri achieved and all of Pearson's records and winning campaigns that MON is still my favourite manager.

I was older mate and he was just bloody fantastic for us - Very articulate, clever and charismatic and despite popular belief the side played really good football and they were a great bunch to support 

Edited by CrazyKopCorner
  • Like 1

One thing is for sure England missed out in appointing him to replace Sven in 2006... to think they actually thought McClaren would be better candidate. Struggled with the ROI but with the squad he had in that period where ROI were producing nothing and still aren't. 

Martin in charge of likes of Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Ferdinand, Ash Cole, Rooney, Crouch, Barry, Defoe. Would have so interesting. 

Edited by Leicesterpool
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

One thing is for sure England missed out in appointing him to replace Sven in 2006... to think they actually thought McClaren would be better candidate. Struggled with the ROI but with the squad he had in that period where ROI were producing nothing and still aren't. 

Martin in charge of likes of Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Ferdinand, Ash Cole, Rooney, Crouch, Barry, Defoe. Would have so interesting. 

I'd also agrue by the time he took over ROI he was way past his prime.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

Would be interesting to see how he’d get on for England in 2006. I think that was around the time it felt like the game was starting to leave him behind a bit though. I think his time for England probably would’ve been when Sven was initially appointed in 2002.

I know Villa fans have very mixed feelings about him and kind of feel he refused to embrace the changes going on in the game in the 00s at the time. Had a great first couple of seasons there to get them challenging in the top 6, but then refused to embrace prozone and the modern analysis and sports science techniques and was a bit old fashioned with regards to signing foreign players, so wasted a lot of money on inflated prices on average British and Irish players instead.

Edited by Sampson

Martin isn't really a head coach type manager, even though he was known for his trademark tracksuit on the touchline. From what I gather Martin liked to appoint his own coaching staff and leave to them to do it Monday to Friday. Perhaps pop down now and then to see how things were getting on. Martin was known to never change winning. Interesting method he did at Villa if the team were doing well they wouldn't need to train? Like during a Villa winning streak he gave the team a week off from training. Not sure if this was the same at Leicester. I think the methods Martin used then probably wouldn't work now. It sounded like Martin had more of a relaxed approached but at the same time would not take s+it. If you feel out with Martin, that's it you went through it... Gareth Barry got the blunt of it when he wanted a move to Liverpool. Martin took it as an insult and forced him to train with the reserves for the whole summer, in the end Barry had to apologise to get himself back in the starting XI.