Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I would argue that we shouldn't replace Maguire externally, but that's another story. As to how I reached £60 million as a "baseline" market price for Maguire: he's a Top 5 ball playing CB in the PL, decent at defending also, just about to enter his prime. So he's minimum £45 million there (I realise that isn't exactly scientific, but I think it's a fair assessment). Then we can add another £15 million for him being British and a starting CB for the national team to make £60 million. Now, keep in mind this is just what I think his market value is. What we can sell him for is a different story, as we have no motivation to sell nor need to (actually, we might need to sell to buy, but we as fans don't know that). This means we can overcharge, up to £70+ million. Add the fact that Utd are frankly idiots at paying close to market value for players, and we can get more out of them. But yeah, van Dijk didn't come into it. 

That's all well and good, but considering we have absolutely no financial need to sell any or our players, why would we sell our best player at market value or even slightly above? 

There is no obligation to sell a player that another team wants for a price that is market value. You sell them at a price that is worth it for us and the consensus must be that close to £100m is just classed as good business within the club which id agree with. 

Just now, L3n9a said:

That's all well and good, but considering we have absolutely no financial need to sell any or our players, why would we sell our best player at market value or even slightly above? 

There is no obligation to sell a player that another team wants for a price that is market value. You sell them at a price that is worth it for us and the consensus must be that close to £100m is just classed as good business within the club which id agree with. 

Our best player? He's not even in the top 5!

14 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

By an online journalist who only writes their gossip column and transfer rumours. No respected journalist is putting their name to it yet 

15 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Could you link me to a reliable journo cos it appears all online journos to me and no print journos 

Not just the sun.....also the independent, mirror and journos like Simon stone (independent are quoting the sun though)

however I have seen some other journos disputing that any deal has been agreed ......

Edited by st albans fox

6 minutes ago, Gerard said:

It's still being reported by a major news organisation as an unambiguous fact. I don't believe they would just make this up without knowledge. 

They generally do when it’s their websites. It’s how they work clickbait. In some cases the journalists/authors won’t even be real. And generally as a rule of thumb The Sun are know for falsehoods

If you see one of the print journalists report it, yeah they have a live rumour 

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Not just the sun.....also the independent, mirror and journos like Simon stone 

however I have seen some other journos disputing that any deal has been agreed ......

Just been on Simon Stone’s twitter and cant see a thing. 

Mirror is another clickbait journo. 

Independent is from an online transfer blog which is repeating the Sun story. 

• Like 1

None of our ITKs or respected journalists linked to us have commented on this. 

Surely if we’ve ‘accepted’ a massive fee of £80m it would have spilled out by now. 

Until someone more more respected than ‘The S*n’ reports it I won’t believe it. 

If it turns out to be true, cheers Harry, £80m is outrageous. Just goes to show though, it’s a money motivated move rather than a football one. Bit of a shame as I think there is a really exciting project beginning under BR, and also Southgate selects players that don’t just play for the top 4/6 anymore. 

8 minutes ago, L3n9a said:

Come on. It’s rarely so straight forward. I do not imagine we have been worn down, and thought, "you know what? I am sick of this, just ship him out"

its a combination of factors I would think, specifically

• He has expressed a desire to leave
  • Any bid was felt tolerable/acceptable 
  • The crap with Mahrez has taught us a lesson that holding on for too long is counter- productive

Would be hilarious after all this hoo-ha if he went to City or even better stayed lol

26 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

The media really are an absolute ****ing disgrace during the transfer windows.

And not much better for the rest of the year. THankfully this nonsense ends in four weeks.

11 minutes ago, Haywood_6 said:

If we sign Dunk what kind of message does that send out to Benkovic and Soyuncu... We're going to sign you for big money then not even give you a look in for two seasons? I don't agree with it.

Me neither.  I trust in BR to give them a chance particularly Benko.   If he does not give them a chance, then may be BR cannot walk on water?

3 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Just been on Simon Stone’s twitter and cant see a thing. 

Mirror is another clickbait journo. 

Independent is from an online transfer blog which is repeating the Sun story. 

Can’t find anything either but was sure I saw a tweet earlier ...... perhaps he received conflicting information 

4 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Totally agree with this. I know we want to break top 6 but we should give these two players 6 months to prove themselves, and only sign another CB in January in case they both turn out to be not up to scratch. And I'd be shocked if that turned out to be the case as Soyuncu has already looked quite good when he's played for us, and Benkovic impressed in Scotland. We could even just start Evans and Morgan together because to be totally honest, we often looked more slid at the back with those two as a pairing! Plus Amartey or even Fuchs could deputise if we had injuries.

I've got no problems with Maguire going. He's been a good player for us, but hardly in the Kante / Mahrez / Vardy bracket of top class players. In fact  I'd say that overall Robert Huth was a better defender for us if you compared his spell to Maguire's.

If we get that money, blow it on a true Mahrez replacement. That's what's missing from the first team.

Trust the club, Brendan has had plenty of time to assess them both. If they’re good enough they will get an opportunity whether we sign dunk or not. 

Why would we we sabotage a shot of reaching the top 6 just to give players a try that we obviously have some reservations about? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lambert09 said:

Trust the club, Brendan has had plenty of time to assess them both. If they’re good enough they will get an opportunity whether we sign dunk or not. 

Why would we we sabotage a shot of reaching the top 6 just to give players a try that we obviously have some reservations about? 

Who says we have reservations?  The Sun?  Chris Sutton?  We cannot go wasting 40M on Dunk, we have more than enough cover and certainly better than Dunk.

I’m not sure we have reservations either. As fans we do as we always do but we try and look into things that really we have no idea about. Perhaps Caglar didn’t get a huge look in last year as Evans and Maguire were first choice. Wes started at first choice and is captain. Caglar needed to get used to a new country and new league and also there was talk he needed to work on his English.

Benko was on loan and isn’t back yet. Maybe BR and the team don’t have reservations and all these links are simple journalistic speculation and nothing more.

who really knows?

Just now, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

I’m not sure we have reservations either. As fans we do as we always do but we try and look into things that really we have no idea about. Perhaps Caglar didn’t get a huge look in last year as Evans and Maguire were first choice. Wes started at first choice and is captain. Caglar needed to get used to a new country and new league and also there was talk he needed to work on his English.

Benko was on loan and isn’t back yet. Maybe BR and the team don’t have reservations and all these links are simple journalistic speculation and nothing more.

who really knows?

Top post!   I think you have this spot on.