Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

5 hours ago, murphy said:

It could be that they are considered not good enough as you seem to be implying.

It could also be that they are a bit raw, perhaps not quite ready but with a lot of potential.

If the latter is the case, I would rather that we play Soy and Benko, back them and then live with the inevitable mistakes, as buying another PL ready defender will just hamper their development and also use up a big chunk of the HM money.

if we genuinely are hoping to push for a top 6 place there is no way we’d be prepared to give someone time to grow. we’ll want players that are rdy now, id imagine.

1 minute ago, L3n9a said:

How have you arrived at £60m for Maguire? What's your pricing system? Fees are not bound by just player 'value' but also club financial position, desperation of the buying club and the player in questions personality. Let's say we sell for £90m. We owe Hull nearly £20m of that bringing it down to £70m, we end up paying £40m for Dunk all of this after us being In a financial position that doesn't require us to sell

So let's take your price of £60m, we lose £15m to Hull and pay £40m for Dunk and we pretty much break even but we've lost Maguire and now have a less proven CB but we're not financially better off. 

Transfers are complex, there's more to it than "he's worth a bit less than Van Dijk" 

I would argue that we shouldn't replace Maguire externally, but that's another story. As to how I reached £60 million as a "baseline" market price for Maguire: he's a Top 5 ball playing CB in the PL, decent at defending also, just about to enter his prime. So he's minimum £45 million there (I realise that isn't exactly scientific, but I think it's a fair assessment). Then we can add another £15 million for him being British and a starting CB for the national team to make £60 million. Now, keep in mind this is just what I think his market value is. What we can sell him for is a different story, as we have no motivation to sell nor need to (actually, we might need to sell to buy, but we as fans don't know that). This means we can overcharge, up to £70+ million. Add the fact that Utd are frankly idiots at paying close to market value for players, and we can get more out of them. But yeah, van Dijk didn't come into it. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MPH said:

if we genuinely are hoping to push for a top 6 place there is no way we’d be prepared to give someone time to grow. we’ll want players that are rdy now, id imagine.

I dunno, maybe you're right, but it would seem to fly in the face of our transfer policy of buying youth.   You have to play them and develop them.

The other advantage of playing Soyuncu or Benkovic and not buying Dunk for example, is that it might leave us enough money to get a really good winger and strengthen the team.

• Like 2

Alot of talk saying we should buy Dunk.

Let's not sign Dunk at 40m and buy lascelles for probably 20m

CB is a area we can exploit easy, we do not have to spend stupid money.

I'd be happy to pay 40m for Dunk if he was 20 years old but there is litterally no re sale value and it's not the Leicester way to even consider spending that much on a huge downgrade to Maguire.

Denis Vavro from kobenhavn would be a good shout early 20s possibly about 5m absolute beast.

upamecano would be my option but as stated before going for 100m.

Vicktor Nillson from nordssland would also be a fantastic shout.

I'd even consider rob holding from arsenal get a bid in for him and test the water might cost around 10m thou

Anyone thinking we are asking an unreasonable sum - we are allowed to ask what we like when we want to keep the player.

But if you still don't think it's justified, here are 2 things to consider.

People are comparing to Van Dyck's transfer, but that was a year ago and fees have continued to escalate since then. Think how much Liverpool would ask now of any team that tried to prise Van Duck from them, and then reduce it a little since Maguire isn't as good. I think you'd arrive at something not far from 100 mill.

Think of what an obscene level of wages Man U are allegedly prepared to offer Maguire.  That surely justifies a huge price to buy him.

• Like 3

Purely as a general point, a lot of our fans often scream "MEDIA BULLLSHIT" when they hate journalists writing stories they don't like or don't fit with their views.

Cast your minds back to last season when John Percy (widely respected as an ITK and rightly so) and others of his ilk in the press were writing regular articles about the toxic atmosphere under the previous manager ... proper fan meltdown on here that it was all crap (when it wasn't)

Not saying everything in the papers about Maguire is true but don't be so blinded either because there could be elements of accuracy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, deep blue said:

Anyone thinking we are asking an unreasonable sum - we are allowed to ask what we like when we want to keep the player.

But if you still don't think it's justified, here are 2 things to consider.

People are comparing to Van Dyck's transfer, but that was a year ago and fees have continued to escalate since then. Think how much Liverpool would ask now of any team that tried to prise Van Duck from them, and then reduce it a little since Maguire isn't as good. I think you'd arrive at something not far from 100 mill.

Think of what an obscene level of wages Man U are allegedly prepared to offer Maguire.  That surely justifies a huge price to buy him.

Is that Daffy Van Duck?

Quacking player!

images.png.1358d528a0f2709752012f8c31e0d051.png

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, murphy said:

I dunno, maybe you're right, but it would seem to fly in the face of our transfer policy of buying youth.   You have to play them and develop them.

The other advantage of playing Soyuncu or Benkovic and not buying Dunk for example, is that it might leave us enough money to get a really good winger and strengthen the team.

it will be interesting thats for sure.... i want Soyuncu to be a success here, and Benkovic too. But are they rdy to lead the line? that’s the question. Maguire is a towering defender who is also a good communicator.  I think that’s why we are looking at the likes of Dunk and Tarkowski.. we need leaders on the pitch as well as young players with potential...

7 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Purely as a general point, a lot of our fans often scream "MEDIA BULLLSHIT" when they hate journalists writing stories they don't like or don't fit with their views.

Cast your minds back to last season when John Percy (widely respected as an ITK and rightly so) and others of his ilk in the press were writing regular articles about the toxic atmosphere under the previous manager ... proper fan meltdown on here that it was all crap (when it wasn't)

Not saying everything in the papers about Maguire is true but don't be so blinded either because there could be elements of accuracy.

This post stinks of media bullshit, don't listen to it!

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

Alot of talk saying we should buy Dunk.

Let's not sign Dunk at 40m and buy lascelles for probably 20m

CB is a area we can exploit easy, we do not have to spend stupid money.

I'd be happy to pay 40m for Dunk if he was 20 years old but there is litterally no re sale value and it's not the Leicester way to even consider spending that much on a huge downgrade to Maguire.

Denis Vavro from kobenhavn would be a good shout early 20s possibly about 5m absolute beast.

upamecano would be my option but as stated before going for 100m.

Vicktor Nillson from nordssland would also be a fantastic shout.

I'd even consider rob holding from arsenal get a bid in for him and test the water might cost around 10m thou

great shout but hes a lazio player

Edited by Fightforever

9 minutes ago, Lesta Legend said:

Fee agreed apparently, where's Percy when you need him

Based on a sun report which states it’s 60m plus 20m add ons 

i wonder how how you calculate hull’s wedge ?  the fee seems lower than we would accept but if there were any truth in it , would perhaps take account of Harry losing his 3m/5m loyalty bonus  (imo, the add ons should be pretty well assured or it’s too low)