Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Getting proven Prem players when you are an above average team in this league is a nightmare to achieve and often not worth the money. Its laughable when you consider who much we'd have to pay for a Ricardo or Maddison that were proven Premier League players. 

Lewis Dunk really isn't the second coming and the price being quoted is staggering. If there's a real need for an upgrade on Benkovic or Soyuncu to fill the void of Maguire leaving then go elsewhere. 

Maybe they have got the decimal point in the wrong place?

I think his agent is trying to ramp up the pressure without committing to a particular solution. To say I would like to leave is not the same as handing in a transfer request. Presumably a formal transfer request negates any loyalty bonus whereas if we just accept a Man Utd offer he can claim the bonus on top of any signing on fee. I think two things need to happen, first a offer that meets the clubs valuation and a formal transfer request, other than that he stays. I would be very surprised, and disappointed if club alter their stance on the fee . I know I am old fashioned and behind the times but for all his protestations of how much he owes Leicester for his current success, to play for the club for two seasons, sign a long term contract and then to leave for a club in ciaos that can't offer European football makes him a hypocrite.If it was Man City I could understand his desire a little more.I would just say stand firm Top !!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

Because the old system ,was also abused. one could upset the rythme of

Your opponents during the season.

The media  lied to try and unsettle players just to get a story...Even players tried to coax,opponent players away to join them,during the season,worse still in title challenges and relegation battles.

I prefer this way to the older way,at least

Weaker clubs keep their better players until a campaign is over. And they can spring over the January transfer window,without feeling threatened.If an individual player is thinking of moving on or tapped up...!! The top league players are compensated enough,to carry the burden of waitin either 5 months or until the next season.

I don't like agents and the free run they have,but there has/was alot of unscrupulous owners who pushed and kept wages down,or players out of the team.Agents allowed the players to concentrate on their job at hand,but they

Themselves became too powerful and greedy!!

What amazes me more is that successful business men in their own field,can't run a fking football club!!

It took our owners time to learn,but I believe or it seems they have learnt and grew into what appears a firm but fair

generation of unique owners .

Though now if we throw money at the transfer market,and let ourselves be put under pressure,and not use further our

Youth ethos and mix of clever buys,then

the learning curve and prudent investment will be a total waste. Keeping or selling Maguire doesn't upset that issue..We were correctly stubborn with Mahrez and expected price,ditto with Harry...In player moves you win some you lose some.We have though been silly in extending contracts for too long a period ...

Also we don't know what our club promised Ulloa,Mahrez, and now Maguire....but that might not be an owner's problem,but arrogant incompetent management..

I think they would have solved the problem by forcing players to honour their contract up until the end of that season. 

18 minutes ago, murphy said:

A progressive, youth-orientated coach like Claude Puel would give Benkovic or Soyuncu their heads.   Just saying.

I don't think it was just a Puel phylosophy...I believe the club realised it's the better way to go,and hired Puel to

Take it further.

That's why if Harry goes,I don't see us forking out a vast summ for a new CB..

And if we do, I would find it very disappointing. We should carry on with the Youth policy.We have Evans and then Wes for occasional cover and support who bring the squad and team that needed experience.Lets not over cook it!! 

17 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I think they would have solved the problem by forcing players to honour their contract up until the end of that season. 

Heard of Bosman..!! That openned up an

array of other discontented loopholes.

So black n white it ain't!!

I would prefer what you say,but everybody want some flexibility,and I bet

other things would crop up,from it,which you also wouldn't like...

59 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I could understand this if the supposed proven PL player was of higher calibre or stature than Lewis Dunk. Both Benkovic and Soyuncu would walk in to Brighton's team and then we would sign them again because they are proven Premier League players? Since when is the requisite that we have to buy proven PL players to reach the top 6? That is only important if the said players are clearly difference makers. 

Dunk has been part of a Brighton team that were nearly relegated, he's played 2 full seasons in the Prem but you're making out like he is a massive coup. He really ought to be for £45m but in reality he'd be an above average player who has spent the majority if his career in the lower leagues. We have built the nucleus of our successful squad on players like that at earlier stages in their careers which is fine, that's not a criticism but it is when considering WHY we need this player to go for the top 6. I don't think he is any more certain to help us get there than two of the most promising defenders being courted last summer in Soyuncu and Benkovic. Had both of them been signed this week just as Maguire is departing then would you still think we needed to buy the force that is Lewis Dunk?

What do you expect from us, to sign a first teamer from one of the big six? People are talking like Lewis Dunk is some kind of scrub who isn't good enough for us. Dunk and Duffy partnership was a big reason why Brighton stayed up last season, Lewis Dunk is their captain for christ sake, capped by England and has been linked with teams like Arsenal as well as us but we shouldn't sign him because he isn't high calibre enough, absolute bollocks. Maguire wasn't high calibre when we signed him. Other players like Tarkowski, Lascelles and Ake aren't that high calibre but they've also been linked with moves away to teams who will be in or around the top six.

All I can say is I think differently. Dunk has the experience, Soyuncu has played six Premier League games, Benkovic none. Don't get me wrong they have promise but where's the evidence that they are good enough yet? We signed them for the future, we as fans all knew that, come a year later do I see them as first team capable regulars, not yet I don't. As for the last question how can somebody answer that lol 

As I said on the Dunk thread, getting Dunk in could be crucial to our long term planning also. This season you'd see us with Dunk, Evans, Morgan and one of Soyuncu/Benkovic. Personally I'd ship Soyuncu out on loan because he isn't guaranteed first team football and needs the playing time more than Benkovic. Come next season Wes will probably leave or retire, that would then leave us with Dunk, Evans, Benkovic and Soyuncu, that looks pretty good to me.

Will be interesting to see if hes in the squad for tonights game. I can't imagine we are going to wrap him in cotton wool for a potential buyer, if our stance is as suggested in the media then he will play tonight and continue to be used the same as any other player until a concrete bid is made?

5 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Heard of Bosman..!! That openned up an

array of other discontented loopholes.

So black n white it ain't!!

I would prefer what you say,but everybody want some flexibility,and I bet

other things would crop up,from it,which you also wouldn't like...

Yes i've heard of Bosman, that's why i wrote honouring the contract till the end of the season, you are hardly holding a player against his wishes if its for a few matches.

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

No I dont expect us to sign players from the top 6 and that is why this requirement of proven Prem experience isn't as important for me. The majority of the players that have excelled with us have come from having zero Prem experience prior to joining us. Buying from direct rivals has always been tricky, but right now it's a farce. Perez we managed to do because of a release clause and given his age, goals and stats it's a decent signing. Evans last summer was a masterstroke and very much as important to us as when we nabbed Huth for a pittance. 

But £45m for Dunk, he's an above average player. I have watched him a number of times and even take the fee out of it I'm staggered he'd be considered an upgrade on Benkovic or Soyuncu. I'm not against us really going for it this season and deciding to spend £40m on one of Europe's most highly regarded young defenders as although it would be harsh on Benkovic and Soyuncu we seemingly have no time for niceties in our pursuit of challenging the top 6. Dunk is as much if a gamble and the price is a joke. 

40m + Gray - Get Ake

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, coalvillefox said:

Will be interesting to see if hes in the squad for tonights game. I can't imagine we are going to wrap him in cotton wool for a potential buyer, if our stance is as suggested in the media then he will play tonight and continue to be used the same as any other player until a concrete bid is made?

Percy already said he won't be playing tonight because like the rest of the internationals he has a week less training. Nothing to do with the transfer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Why do so few pundits, bloggers and fans realise that Maguire is almost certainly not the best defender in the World but that has nothing to do with our pricing of him - Obviously for pundits and bloggers do it for the click bait and fans, well frankly they're just jealous. It really is so obvious why we're demanding this price.

But it's a tad irritating to see all these stupid headlines.

Oh and Dunk isn't worth £45+ mill either but that's the price you pay for demanding £80m for Maguire.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hejammy said:

So I'm guessing he's not going to be playing any part in the friendly tonight?

Maguire, meanwhile, is set to miss Leicester’s friendly against Scunthorpe on Tuesday night, but only because he returned for pr­e-season last week after being given time off due to his participation in the Uefa Nations League.

Jonny Evans is also a doubt for the game at Glanford Park, while Ben Chilwell and Kasper Schmeichel will definitely be rested.

Manchester United is still a massive pull for players and people are kidding themselves if they believe otherwise. I'd put money on most of our players wanting to go to them if the opportunity arisen, even if they are a bit of a mess at the minute. There's a lot of talk about us challenging the top 6 but at the end of the day, that is all is it is, talk. Currently we are an inconsistent mid-table side that finished 14 points behind the worst Manchester United side in years. We are the same side plus Ayoze Perez and a lot of the optimism is based on hope and the assumption that players will progress.

I am hopeful we can make improvements this year and of course its going to be more difficult if we sell players but I'm not overly surprised that Maguire might want to go. He may not get another chance.