Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

3 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

I'm surprised that they don't go back to the old system of players being able to transfer at any time. These transfer windows just inflate the prices.

Because the old system ,was also abused. one could upset the rythme of

Your opponents during the season.

The media  lied to try and unsettle players just to get a story...Even players tried to coax,opponent players away to join them,during the season,worse still in title challenges and relegation battles.

I prefer this way to the older way,at least

Weaker clubs keep their better players until a campaign is over. And they can spring over the January transfer window,without feeling threatened.If an individual player is thinking of moving on or tapped up...!! The top league players are compensated enough,to carry the burden of waitin either 5 months or until the next season.

I don't like agents and the free run they have,but there has/was alot of unscrupulous owners who pushed and kept wages down,or players out of the team.Agents allowed the players to concentrate on their job at hand,but they

Themselves became too powerful and greedy!!

What amazes me more is that successful business men in their own field,can't run a fking football club!!

It took our owners time to learn,but I believe or it seems they have learnt and grew into what appears a firm but fair

generation of unique owners .

Though now if we throw money at the transfer market,and let ourselves be put under pressure,and not use further our

Youth ethos and mix of clever buys,then

the learning curve and prudent investment will be a total waste. Keeping or selling Maguire doesn't upset that issue..We were correctly stubborn with Mahrez and expected price,ditto with Harry...In player moves you win some you lose some.We have though been silly in extending contracts for too long a period ...

Also we don't know what our club promised Ulloa,Mahrez, and now Maguire....but that might not be an owner's problem,but arrogant incompetent management..

1 hour ago, SecretPro said:

I know it's been said a million times before, but what really is the point in 'contracts' in football, they literally mean nothing. Purely a tool to inflate prices and pay agents. Pointless shit. 

Usually guarantees another year of a player at best. That’s pretty much what it’s about. 

Offer comes in > New improved contract (player accepts out of loyalty or the contract is matched) > Offer comes in... either player leaves for more wages or matching contract is offered. 

Harry signing for 5 years last year has probably bagged us many more millions than if he hadn’t. It works both ways. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SecretPro said:

I know it's been said a million times before, but what really is the point in 'contracts' in football, they literally mean nothing. Purely a tool to inflate prices and pay agents. Pointless shit. 

Asked and answered :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brucey said:

Percy says we might not bother with a replacement. Rather no replacement than Dunk for 45m tbh

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/07/15/leicester-tell-harry-maguire-can-leave-join-manchester-united/

God I really do hope this is the case. We’ve really no business spending 50m on a CB, particularly when we have decent strength in depth in this position.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

God I really do hope this is the case. We’ve really no business spending 50m on a CB, particularly when we have decent strength in depth in this position.

Agree. I'd think Rodgers would go bonkers at spending that kind of dough on a defender instead of an attacker and more goals.

I know we should be preparing for the departure of Evans and Morgan after next year though.

Amartey and possibly players in the development squad (who should be loaned out now) to provide cover the following year.

Goals over fear.

6 hours ago, LinekersApples said:

Unrelated: i have the following for sale- Framed and signed Harry maguire shirt (first season at leicester, signed in the 15 of maguire 15.inset pictures of debut season for Leicester and England World Cup campaign),  a white puma signed shirt (no name or number) and a signed nike ball. PM me if interested with genuine offer or I will sell at twice the price to a muppet who supports a Manchester side in the future.

Is the ball signed by you ??   Can never have too many balls .........

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, brucey said:

Percy says we might not bother with a replacement. Rather no replacement than Dunk for 45m tbh

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/07/15/leicester-tell-harry-maguire-can-leave-join-manchester-united/

Thanks.  Very comforting about not spunking on Dunk.

Isn’ the Maguire situation the same as Mahrez? 

City wanted Mahrez, we kept him and put him on a new improved contract, and he joined City a year later. The contract guaranteed us the fee, I suspect City were the only club he wanted to sign for, Mahrez had every reason to play well for us, in what was his last season.As far as I am aware no other club came in for him, a world class footballer.

Roll on a year, United want Maguire. Harry signs a 5 year deal, but he is going to Old Trafford. Only City are the other club muddying the water, because they know the score,

So if one of our star players signs a bumper 5 year deal in future, he will probably leave shortly after.

The player wins, the club get a realistic fee for him, the club buying him get their man. It’s known as a win,win,win......

11 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

I'm surprised that they don't go back to the old system of players being able to transfer at any time. These transfer windows just inflate the prices.

Because the old system ,was also abused. one could upset the rythme of

Your opponents during the season.

The media  lied to try and unsettle players just to get a story...Even players tried to coax,opponent players away to join them,during the season,worse still in title challenges and relegation battles.

I prefer this way to the older way,at least

Weaker clubs keep their better players until a campaign is over. And they can spring over the January transfer window,without feeling threatened.If an individual player is thinking of moving on or tapped up...!! The top league players are compensated enough,to carry the burden of waitin either 5 months or until the next season.

I don't like agents and the free run they have,but there has/was alot of unscrupulous owners who pushed and kept wages down,or players out of the team.Agents allowed the players to concentrate on their job at hand,but they

Themselves became too powerful and greedy!!

What amazes me more is that successful business men in their own field,can't run a fking football club!!

It took our owners time to learn,but I believe or it seems they have learnt and grew into what appears a firm but fair

generation of unique owners .

Though now if we throw money at the transfer market,and let ourselves be put under pressure,and not use further our

Youth ethos and mix of clever buys,then

the learning curve and prudent investment will be a total waste. Keeping or selling Maguire doesn't upset that issue..We were correctly stubborn with Mahrez and expected price,ditto with Harry...In player moves you win some you lose some.We have though been silly in extending contracts for too long a period ...

Also we don't know what our club promised Ulloa,Mahrez, and now Maguire....but that might not be an owner's problem,but arrogant incompetent management..

Man Utd seems to me wanting to drag this on to force our hand to sell at a cheaper price?Have they got to the player and his agent and that's why he said he wants to leave? Is this another tactic of Man Utd to reduce the price? In some ways I just want this saga sorted but on the other hand I like the tough stance our club is taking. We shall not be bullied. 

If they pay the money they get him.

To be honest if he wants to go, let him. I would find it mildly amusing if he goes to yanited and then has a crap few games making silly mistakes (as he does), gets booed by the yanited fans then loses his England place. 

2 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

If they pay the money they get him.

To be honest if he wants to go, let him. I would find it mildly amusing if he goes to yanited and then has a crap few games making silly mistakes (as he does), gets booed by the yanited fans then loses his England place. 

You wouldn't be bitter then? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I could understand this if the supposed proven PL player was of higher calibre or stature than Lewis Dunk. Both Benkovic and Soyuncu would walk in to Brighton's team and then we would sign them again because they are proven Premier League players? Since when is the requisite that we have to buy proven PL players to reach the top 6? That is only important if the said players are clearly difference makers. 

Dunk has been part of a Brighton team that were nearly relegated, he's played 2 full seasons in the Prem but you're making out like he is a massive coup. He really ought to be for £45m but in reality he'd be an above average player who has spent the majority if his career in the lower leagues. We have built the nucleus of our successful squad on players like that at earlier stages in their careers which is fine, that's not a criticism but it is when considering WHY we need this player to go for the top 6. I don't think he is any more certain to help us get there than two of the most promising defenders being courted last summer in Soyuncu and Benkovic. Had both of them been signed this week just as Maguire is departing then would you still think we needed to buy the force that is Lewis Dunk?

This i think is at the heart of the argument. If we had signed two exciting young foreign centrebacks vying for Maguire's place in the squad this window, there would be few grumbles. Maybe some would go on about "PL proven" but that's besides the point. People just want something new.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I could understand this if the supposed proven PL player was of higher calibre or stature than Lewis Dunk. Both Benkovic and Soyuncu would walk in to Brighton's team and then we would sign them again because they are proven Premier League players? Since when is the requisite that we have to buy proven PL players to reach the top 6? That is only important if the said players are clearly difference makers. 

Dunk has been part of a Brighton team that were nearly relegated, he's played 2 full seasons in the Prem but you're making out like he is a massive coup. He really ought to be for £45m but in reality he'd be an above average player who has spent the majority if his career in the lower leagues. We have built the nucleus of our successful squad on players like that at earlier stages in their careers which is fine, that's not a criticism but it is when considering WHY we need this player to go for the top 6. I don't think he is any more certain to help us get there than two of the most promising defenders being courted last summer in Soyuncu and Benkovic. Had both of them been signed this week just as Maguire is departing then would you still think we needed to buy the force that is Lewis Dunk?

Yeah exactly and whilst I can see why people are asking for "PL proven", I also notice that they are quick to dismiss the cases in which high-profile transfers between premier league teams have completely flopped (Sanchez surely one of the most recent worst) and those in which players have come from elsewhere to take the league by storm (Kante anyone?). "PL proven" is no guarantee that it is a risk free transfer, not even for extortionate wages and transfer fees. At the end of the day, a quality player will be a quality player and that is usually the case no matter which league they find themselves within. I haven't seen anything in Soyuncu or Benkovic which demonstrates that they can't make the step-up and if anything, I thought that the former looked pretty good at times when playing for us last season. If we have any intention of using either of them whatsoever then they will have to play at some point - every player has to play a first PL season at one point if they want to play in the PL, we weren't whinging about Barnes being recalled and thrown straight into the first 11 because he wasn't "PL proven". 

I hate the idea that we would just spunk millions on these two promising CB's for absolutely no reason whatsoever, they seem decent and there's two competing for a single place so give them a go! People act as if our defending was consistently amazing last season - it wasn't. I know we are looking to improve in all areas but I honestly feel that we will be grabbing way more goals with an ever-improving Maddison, Tielemans, Perez and a team which plays to Vardy's strengths. If it is the case that we need a CB, then surely one of the younger lads needs to be sold or loaned out and surely we can do better than the £45m touted for Dunk. I'd much rather see the money spent on a quality winger which could contribute towards 20 goals over a season and not basically use the vast majority of the Maguire fee to essentially land a slightly older downgrade. If we want to go for one of the cups then having midfielders and forwards that we can rotate will be essential in the early rounds, and obviously the deeper our bench is in this respect the more likely we will be to breeze through. 

• Like 3