Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

Without me flicking through pages and pages in here, someone update me as to what is actually happening with Maguire? I’ve been busy all day and I can’t be arsed to put the effort into finding out what’s going on.

3 minutes ago, buzzer_b said:

Is all this ‘Maguire left fuming’ bull crap actually bull crap or has he actually spat his dummy out about moving?

From what I know he's told BR he would like the move. But no toys are being thrown. He would like the chance but he won't force it. 

3 minutes ago, buzzer_b said:

Without me flicking through pages and pages in here, someone update me as to what is actually happening with Maguire? I’ve been busy all day and I can’t be arsed to put the effort into finding out what’s going on.

He wants to explore a move with United or Man City. 

Leicester have said he can go as long as an appropriate offer (£80-90mill) is received. 

In return we expect him to be professional should a deal not materialise. 

No transfer request as he wants that loyalty bonus 

4 minutes ago, buzzer_b said:

Nothing.

8 minutes ago, buzzer_b said:

He's having a shit tomorrow 

• Haha 2

Tbf I don't begrudge him this move. Whether we like it or not - these are massive clubs. It pretty much cements him as England's first choice CB for the next 5 years. Plus the money will be ****ing ridiculous.

The flip side is other players may start forcing moves TO us if they look and see former LCFC players go to huge clubs. Not ideal but until we get top 6 regularly you taks what you can get and having a reputation for fielding hungry young players who want to make the most of the opportunity in order to reach the top - probably not a bad one.

27 minutes ago, buzzer_b said:

Is all this ‘Maguire left fuming’ bull crap actually bull crap or has he actually spat his dummy out about moving?

He hasnt actually put in a transfer request and surely that has to be his way forward if he wants to leave. So as I understand it.

1. No transfer request from Maguire

2. No increased bid from Man Utd

3. No word from LCFC.

Nothing is really happening at all other than the continued load of bull coming from the press. 

33 minutes ago, buzzer_b said:

He was at the cricket and apparently enjoyed it.

38 minutes ago, buzzer_b said:

United want him. The media are desperate for him to join United. But so far they haven't matched our asking price. He apparently wants to leave but it could just be the media suggesting this to suit their own agenda. Has he gone yet? No. Will he go? Probably 

31 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Tbf I don't begrudge him this move. Whether we like it or not - these are massive clubs. It pretty much cements him as England's first choice CB for the next 5 years. Plus the money will be ****ing ridiculous.

The flip side is other players may start forcing moves TO us if they look and see former LCFC players go to huge clubs. Not ideal but until we get top 6 regularly you taks what you can get and having a reputation for fielding hungry young players who want to make the most of the opportunity in order to reach the top - probably not a bad one.

Like it has for Jones and Smalling? Going to Utd as a defender is not a happy place in recent years, barely any have even remotely prospered. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wokinghamfox said:

He hasnt actually put in a transfer request and surely that has to be his way forward if he wants to leave. So as I understand it.

1. No transfer request from Maguire

2. No increased bid from Man Utd

3. No word from LCFC.

Nothing is really happening at all other than the continued load of bull coming from the press. 

If Maguire does go this season I think he is making a big mistake yes man u are big club, but a big club in turmoil why would anyone want to go to them at this time, if Maguire does go I hope it doesn't go tits up for him 

4 hours ago, kingfox said:

Buying a Premier League proven CB to starting an inexperienced player like Benkovic or Soyuncu could be the difference of whether we make top six or not. If they look out of their depth then fans will be saying "We should have signed a CB in the summer". Waiting till the January window isn't ideal, it's a tougher window to sign players in and for example, Brighton might not want to sell Dunk in that window. 

Mentioning the likes of Fuchs, Johnson, Pascanu etc... as potential back up is ludicrous, that's exactly what we don't need. Same applies with Morgan tbh, yes he signed a one year deal but this is the season where he should be looked upon as 3rd/4th choice.

I'd loan Benkovic or Soyuncu out tbh, it's guaranteed that one of them won't get the game time required, while the other stays as our 3rd/4th choice centre back.

Then come next season Wes probably moves on or retires, that will leave us with Evans, Benkovic, Soyuncu and Maguire or his replacement, that's four great CB options that would see us set up perfectly for the future.

But so could Söyüncü and Benkovic coming good and using that money elsewhere rather than spunking £50m on a decent centre back in Dunk. They could both be better than what we can get?

Sorry, you've basically just echoed what I said on Morgan. If Maguire leaves, we still have 4 first choice centre backs so he would still be 3rd/4th choice. I'm talking about the others if we were beyond desperate and we'd have to be ridiculously unlucky with injuries to be missing 3 centre backs for any extended period of time. I'm not that mental to suggest one of those is 4th choice! (Although I could just about live with Amartey)

Whilst it's undeniable that we'd be better off keeping a player of Maguire's quality, we're also going to have to take risks to finish 6th and these 2 young lads could pay off massively. 

We also have to accept that we're Leicester City. We can't sign players for £20m and not use them for 2 years nor can we keep good players in th squad as 4th choice. It's bad enough when the likes of Musa, Slimani, Silva, Iheanacho flop but choosing to spend big on Söyüncü and Benkovic means we need to be using them. Problem being that they're not Brendan's players. So I agree that 1 may go out on loan but if we buy Dunk for example, then both won't get the playing time and will need to go so that just seems pointless.

If Söyüncü and Benkovic go out on loan again, with a marquee signing in their way, I don't think they'll be wanting to come back and I wouldn't blame them for that. We also need to consider what promises were made to them when we signed them.

Also, if the money is used on other areas of the squad then I think most people would accept us not getting a centre back with those 2 waiting in the wings. Let's not forget they were signed for that very reason! Most people not bothered about losing Maguire for the money mentioned, feel that way because it opens up the possibility to get that top drawer winger we need and potentially strengthen elsewhere.

Saying this all over a guy who plenty wouldn't even say is our best centre back...

Makes a big difference that there's been a clear strategy and we have a manager who we, as fans, seem to trust to make the right decision. Let's just hope it's the right one.

• Like 3

Unrelated: i have the following for sale- Framed and signed Harry maguire shirt (first season at leicester, signed in the 15 of maguire 15.inset pictures of debut season for Leicester and England World Cup campaign),  a white puma signed shirt (no name or number) and a signed nike ball. PM me if interested with genuine offer or I will sell at twice the price to a muppet who supports a Manchester side in the future.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

I know it's been said a million times before, but what really is the point in 'contracts' in football, they literally mean nothing. Purely a tool to inflate prices and pay agents. Pointless shit. 

Well they do determine the weekly draw for each of the players, which I'm sure matters quite a bit to them. Also allows clubs to structure pay in accordance to squad status. They also determine how long a player must stay at a club - you don't see very many Lewandowski like 'rundowns' though - the poisonous nature of this can not always be worth it but it's realistically an option with any player you have under contract. 

This isn't intend this to be patronising I just think it's important to recognize they do still matter for a lot.

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Like it has for Jones and Smalling? Going to Utd as a defender is not a happy place in recent years, barely any have even remotely prospered. 

Every mistake will be highlighted and discussed, it will make the back pages and there is no going under the radar. That’s exactly why players like Smalling get hammered there, yet if they played anywhere else they’d probably be fairly well rated.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, knitro said:

Well they do determine the weekly draw for each of the players, which I'm sure matters quite a bit to them. Also allows clubs to structure pay in accordance to squad status. They also determine how long a player must stay at a club - you don't see very many Lewandowski like 'rundowns' though - the poisonous nature of this can not always be worth it but it's realistically an option with any player you have under contract. 

This isn't intend this to be patronising I just think it's important to recognize they do still matter for a lot.

Also to add that around 90% of pro footballers worldwide (at a guess) need a contract for job security.

Anybody below lower third championship level (and in European leagues, anyone from.lower third top tier) leads a.fairly normal life and a three year deal earning a guaranteed £120k a year is a godsend

Edited by Paninistickers

29 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

But so could Söyüncü and Benkovic coming good and using that money elsewhere rather than spunking £50m on a decent centre back in Dunk. They could both be better than what we can get?

Sorry, you've basically just echoed what I said on Morgan. If Maguire leaves, we still have 4 first choice centre backs so he would still be 3rd/4th choice. I'm talking about the others if we were beyond desperate and we'd have to be ridiculously unlucky with injuries to be missing 3 centre backs for any extended period of time. I'm not that mental to suggest one of those is 4th choice! (Although I could just about live with Amartey)

Whilst it's undeniable that we'd be better off keeping a player of Maguire's quality, we're also going to have to take risks to finish 6th and these 2 young lads could pay off massively. 

We also have to accept that we're Leicester City. We can't sign players for £20m and not use them for 2 years nor can we keep good players in th squad as 4th choice. It's bad enough when the likes of Musa, Slimani, Silva, Iheanacho flop but choosing to spend big on Söyüncü and Benkovic means we need to be using them. Problem being that they're not Brendan's players. So I agree that 1 may go out on loan but if we buy Dunk for example, then both won't get the playing time and will need to go so that just seems pointless.

If Söyüncü and Benkovic go out on loan again, with a marquee signing in their way, I don't think they'll be wanting to come back and I wouldn't blame them for that. We also need to consider what promises were made to them when we signed them.

Also, if the money is used on other areas of the squad then I think most people would accept us not getting a centre back with those 2 waiting in the wings. Let's not forget they were signed for that very reason! Most people not bothered about losing Maguire for the money mentioned, feel that way because it opens up the possibility to get that top drawer winger we need and potentially strengthen elsewhere.

Saying this all over a guy who plenty wouldn't even say is our best centre back...

Makes a big difference that there's been a clear strategy and we have a manager who we, as fans, seem to trust to make the right decision. Let's just hope it's the right one.

I'll have to repeat myself quite a bit again here lol 

We have enough money to sign ourselves a quality winger regardless if we sell Maguire or not. Lewis Dunk is a Premier League proven defender, vastly experienced and captain material. That is the British market nowadays, whether it's Dunk, Tarkowski, Lascelles or Ake clubs will have to pay £40-50 million for them.

For me we can't take that risk, fans shouldn't even be talking about Morgan or Amartey as possible first choice centre backs this season. This is the season where Wes has to take a back seat, I'd keep Amartey because he's versatile but this season he probably won't get anywhere near the matchday squad unless injuries occur.

There's two sides to every story, what about if the risk of playing them doesn't pay off then what? As I've just said on the Dunk thread, this is a massive opportunity of getting top six, we probably won't get a better chance. Signing an experienced Premier League centre back like Dunk could be the difference maker, if we sell Maguire then Rodgers will probably think the same way.

Even if one gets a chance the other won't, simple as that. Both were signed for the future, both weren't signed to be regular starters and a year later I still don't see them as regular starters...yet. Their time will come but right now I see one as 3rd/4th choice, the other should go out on loan for regular playing time, for me Soyuncu should be that guy.

I just think signing someone like Dunk would give us a better chance this season, and would set us up perfectly for the long term.

Edited by kingfox
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

I know it's been said a million times before, but what really is the point in 'contracts' in football, they literally mean nothing. Purely a tool to inflate prices and pay agents. Pointless shit. 

Should just sign everyone on a one year rolling contract and be done with it lol

• Like 1