Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

14 hours ago, richardsfoxes said:

I don't understand people on this forum, why do you want to get rid of players that we have developed, improved and have been successful here. To many people have this football manager mentality where your happy to sell players that are improving all the time, have you literally learned nothing over the past 3-4 seasons, if we get 75M for Maguire yes you can get 2-3 players but none of them are guaranteed to be successful here. Look at the money we have squandered looking for "better" players, Slimani, Ihenacho, Musa, Kramaric (to a degree), Silva and Ghezzal 130-140m there with wages and agent fees. I love it when i see people saying how we can be replace them easily, if it was so easy one of the best teams in the world wouldn't be trying to poach our players at huge prices.....

If we just keep the players we've got and don't take risks, we're just treading mid table water. We're still miles behind the worst Man U team in a long long time, and they will just throw a couple of hundred million at the problem. 

It's not about wanting to get rid of Maguire, it's about wanting what's right for the team as a whole. You can't take the idea of selling an asset to improve the team off the table, that's just quite frankly moronic. IF those in charge look at what we have, what we need and what we've got to spend, and think they can get more out of the team by trading one player, then it has to be taken seriously. 

I happen to think if selling Maguire enables us to buy Tielemans, then that has to do done, because Tielemans will gain us more points than we'll lose by trading out Maguire. They are the sort of conversations they'll have behind the scenes. 

Lets say we keep everyone... then what? Unless we are getting owner investment we're even more relying on picking up great bargains to improve the team. Yet you don't trust the scouting side, so we have to assume you think they'll buy shit, which means little improvement anyway. 

You also have to be realistic and know that these players will want to go to better and bigger teams. So rather than digging your heels in constantly, it could be considered wise to lose the players bit by bit. Rather than having a mass exodus on our hands a few years down the line when they are all refusing new contracts and forcing the issue, meaning we potentially end up losing  a bunch of players all at the same time. 

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

If we just keep the players we've got and don't take risks, we're just treading mid table water. We're still miles behind the worst Man U team in a long long time, and they will just throw a couple of hundred million at the problem. 

It's not about wanting to get rid of Maguire, it's about wanting what's right for the team as a whole. You can't take the idea of selling an asset to improve the team off the table, that's just quite frankly moronic. IF those in charge look at what we have, what we need and what we've got to spend, and think they can get more out of the team by trading one player, then it has to be taken seriously. 

I happen to think if selling Maguire enables us to buy Tielemans, then that has to do done, because Tielemans will gain us more points than we'll lose by trading out Maguire. They are the sort of conversations they'll have behind the scenes. 

Lets say we keep everyone... then what? Unless we are getting owner investment we're even more relying on picking up great bargains to improving the team. Yet so don't trust the scouting side, so we have to assume you think they'll buy shit, which means little improvement anyway. 

You also have to be realistic and know that these players will want to go to better and bigger teams. So rather than digging your heels in constantly, it could be considered wise to lose the players bit by bit. Rather than having a mass exodus on our hands a few years down the line when they are all refusing new contracts and forcing the issue, meaning we potentially end up losing  a bunch of players all at the same time. 

Really worried now. Agreeing with Babylon and he's talking absolute sense. Worlds gone mad.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, FoxFossil said:

Really worried now. Agreeing with Babylon and he's talking absolute sense. Worlds gone mad.

I can only presume you've confused me with another Babylon, I always talk absolute sense. It's about all I have to offer. :D

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FoxFossil said:

I think he talks absolute crap. shit stirring ;) and engineering fear and worry. I hate you Babylon.

Edited by Simoken
  • Haha 2

Guest SO1

If I read these pages long enough I get the sensation that I'm spinning in circles. :)

Edited by SO1

5 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Maybe you guys should wait to see what has transpired by mid August ...... babs thinks we won’t spend 100m unless we sell a big asset. I think we can. It’s whether we are prepared to do so, given the potential that is clearly there ....... many realised in summer 2016 that we had an opportunity that wouldn’t come around again (to invest in the squad in the right areas to try and maintain top six status) with CL football on offer - well we messed that up good and proper with our recruitment and ngolo’s unfortunate departure .....

. let’s not mess this summer up !  The assets will still be there come next summer if the over investment this summer needs to be corrected ...... the important thing is to get the right people in if you spend the 100m. Selling a big player who you know is a strong performer at the top level is a risk re his replacement ..... we already have benko and Calgar and no one on here is sure that they will flourish in the PL as regulars ????

Based on what exactly? I'm not claiming to know more than you, but it doesn't seem like there's much evidence to suggest that.

56 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Based on what exactly? I'm not claiming to know more than you, but it doesn't seem like there's much evidence to suggest that.

Based on the fact that we actually can.  the question is whether we are prepared to either take the club into debt (for a short period until we realise some assets if we need to) or if Top is prepared to make an investment. i suspect the debt angle is most likely. 

15 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

He probably knows we'll allow a maximum of one to leave per window and he wants it to be him.

The bastard. 

He did refer to Leicester as "there" not "here", just saying. 

• Thanks 1

Nothing will happen regarding transfers until after The Nations Cup, hopefully Harry (and Ben) will see sense and stay with us for next season at least, got a good feeling about LCFC over the next couple of years.... :scarf:

2 hours ago, SO1 said:

If I read these pages long enough I get the sensation that I'm spinning in circles. :)

Read FT long enough, and you actually lose that sensation of spinning in circles.

Because you've just got used to doing it.

14 hours ago, MPH said:

I don’t want to ‘ get rid’ of maguire, but if it came down to keeping him or finding the money for tielemans, id choose tielemans. Not because i don’t like maguire, we just have more options for CB... the void tielemans filled was a big one and we don’t have many players like him who are within our reach..

There's an art to selling players at the right time, if you were to sell Maguire, get Tielemens and have £20-30m left over then that's a no-brainer and terrific business imo.  Out of the big sellable assets you have Maguire would be by far the easiest to replace, if you would even have to given the number of good CB's already on the books.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 1

On 29/05/2019 at 14:41, Swan Lesta said:

There were two exerts which I've pulled out from that article below which I do admit concern me slightly - the way he mentions Leicester in relation to Maddison's potential for improvement (maybe in his narrative he is suggesting that as he has been through this and now needs better players around him to continue that journey) and the way he refers to Leicester as 'there' as opposed to 'with us.... and then the Man City Players, Winners of Trophies statement - I'm sure he's up for leaving to go to a bigger club (and maybe in his head thats what he's decided) I'm just not sure that we'll sell him for anything less than Van Dyke money and Top will probably value him at £80 million plus.

He's also dead to me now for referring to Manchester City as 'City' :P

HM on Maddison:

'He's had a great first year,' he said. 'He's taken to it really well and is a talented boy. I think Leicester is a great club for him. He can keep improving there. There may be some bids but I'm sure Leicester will want to keep hold of him.'

HM on England:

'It's been a long time since we've had a trophy,' Maguire said. 'We want to be winners. We have a lot of winners in our team, especially with the (Manchester) City boys who've just turned up.'

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't he also said he's looking forward to working with Brendan and it's an exciting time for the squad...or something along those lines?...or was that just a hopeful dream of mine ...? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, srex9 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't he also said he's looking forward to working with Brendan and it's an exciting time for the squad...or something along those lines?...or was that just a hopeful dream of mine ...? 

Giving he has already said he wants Maddison to stay, I think he wants to give us another season under Brendon ... what happens if Maddison goes and we don’t sign tielemans might change matters... but right now he seems happy 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, srex9 said:

Wasnt a dream. Rumours started by paranoid fans. It’s dead easy, Create an account on Twitter and say you’re chillwells new agent and your first bit of business is to do a deal with Man City for 90 million quid, then post the link on here then claim it’s probably it’s a fake  account, 3 pages on and chillwells defineatly signing for Man City and it’s a great bit of business.

• Haha 2

On 30/05/2019 at 22:30, LinekersLugs said:

Maguire telling Maddison to stay put would suggest Maguire isn’t planning on leaving himself , otherwise why come out so strong ? 

He really say that? where? but also why would maddison be needed to be told to stay he has just walked through the door.

On 30/05/2019 at 22:50, richardsfoxes said:

I don't understand people on this forum, why do you want to get rid of players that we have developed, improved and have been successful here. To many people have this football manager mentality where your happy to sell players that are improving all the time, have you literally learned nothing over the past 3-4 seasons, if we get 75M for Maguire yes you can get 2-3 players but none of them are guaranteed to be successful here. Look at the money we have squandered looking for "better" players, Slimani, Ihenacho, Musa, Kramaric (to a degree), Silva and Ghezzal 130-140m there with wages and agent fees. I love it when i see people saying how we can be replace them easily, if it was so easy one of the best teams in the world wouldn't be trying to poach our players at huge prices.....

In an ideal world we keep him.  If king power change their approach and have suddenly decided they can fund a new striker and tielemans out of their pockets I agree we keep him.

However most likely we will need to sell to buy.

1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

In an ideal world we keep him.  If king power change their approach and have suddenly decided they can fund a new striker and tielemans out of their pockets I agree we keep him.

However most likely we will need to sell to buy.

based on the last couple summers ?  I don’t believe the owners were confident enough in puel to allow an overspend last summer and the same was true of shakey. I think they have 100% confidence in Brendan to take any incoming talent and make the most of it. 

As far as Harry is concerned, plenty have an opinion that he didn’t perform so well last season ........ I’m not necessarily in that camp but would make the point that how many England players who went to Russia last summer and played a lot had a great campaign ?   There weren’t many ........

• Like 1

Definitely keep. His form might have dropped off a bit in the second half of the season but there's very few defenders who can bring the ball out like Harry does and start attacks the way he does - I'm amazed some think he's so easy to replace. There's a reason that United and City are looking at him, genuine footballing centre halves are few and far between. He's a massive asset.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Definitely keep. His form might have dropped off a bit in the second half of the season but there's very few defenders who can bring the ball out like Harry does and start attacks the way he does - I'm amazed some think he's so easy to replace. There's a reason that United and City are looking at him, genuine footballing centre halves are few and far between. He's a massive asset.

So you don’t want/rate Tielemans then?  :ph34r:

20 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

I’ll put it out there, Benkovic will be a better player than Maguire he is more composed and refined already. 

I rate Caglar also and At some point we need to start playing these or risk losing them which will hurt us in the future.

Maguire is 26/27 so in his prime and whilst certain CB go on longer Ferdinand, Evans off the top of my head look at the difference in build I can’t see Maguire still cutting it at 32+.

42 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

based on the last couple summers ?  I don’t believe the owners were confident enough in puel to allow an overspend last summer and the same was true of shakey. I think they have 100% confidence in Brendan to take any incoming talent and make the most of it. 

As far as Harry is concerned, plenty have an opinion that he didn’t perform so well last season ........ I’m not necessarily in that camp but would make the point that how many England players who went to Russia last summer and played a lot had a great campaign ?   There weren’t many ........

With Congleton and Brendan's record?