Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

1 minute ago, rachhere said:

My opinion, but also Brendan made it clear there would be a deadline which would before the end of the season and the pace Man U have been moving at so far, so it seems unlikely at this stage. 

Brendan said today nothing's changed on the club's stance. My thought on a potential deadline was either end of July (you've got 38 mins, lads), a week to go (tomorrow), or the Atalanta game.

Or maybe the deadline doesn't exist and it's to apply pressure on United to pay up or feck off. All we can do is wait it out I guess, the longer it goes on the better.

23 minutes ago, happy85 said:

CA4203CB-944C-44E1-BB2A-048A90508DE3.png

Does anyone else get the feeling Man Utd actually want this to go to the wire? For it to be huge news as well as a huge transfer.

A deadline day signing. 

One they can easily afford but their board make out they’ve really pushed the boat out to please the fans and have a big season ahead. 

It’s all a bit of a pantomime from Man Utd for me. They know they price, they know the deadline. They want it on their terms even if it’s at our price. 

Edited by Leeds Fox

8 minutes ago, rachhere said:

My opinion, but also Brendan made it clear there would be a deadline which would before the end of the season and the pace Man U have been moving at so far, so it seems unlikely at this stage. 

The deadline is before the end of the season? 

Even if we assume you meant ‘start’ of the season... that’s still the deadline for everyone! At least you can claim to be ITK with that bit of information. 

Just now, Leeds Fox said:

The deadline is before the end of the season? 

Even if we assume you meant ‘start’ of the season... that’s still the deadline for everyone! At least you can claim to be ITK with that bit of information. 

Sorry, was quickly replying in the change of ends of the tennis (go team Murray!) and didn't check back what I wrote. I meant that he said our deadline would be before the actual transfer deadline. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Does anyone else get the feeling Man Utd actually want this to go to the wire? For it to be huge news as well as a huge transfer.

A deadline day signing. 

One they can easily afford but their board make out they’ve really pushed the boat out to please the fans and have a big season ahead. 

It’s all a bit of a pantomime from Man Utd for me. They know they price, they know the deadline. They want it on their terms even if it’s at our price. 

or maybe they was hoping on Maquire handing in a transfer request

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Surely they also hinder themselves by dropping a new player in straight away and expecting him to perform? 

It doesn't work like that...yes there are

Some naturals who can pick up there treammate rythme & game-day routine.

Some just get thrown in,with blind belief,but mainly ...

Even top players are eased in and are given benchtime first,and make Cameos

Harry if he did move..being a CB,his first

Connection will be his GKeeper....and like his England debue,will slot in early..

Manutd do not now have any

Bline-player that is automatic first choice...so I see Manutd starting with Harry and De he's working immediately together....

I must add..This Pre-season ,each unit,the team, of Manutd have been looking good and showing some good quality.

Their so called shambles,is not being to Confirm top 6,but to compete for top 4..

And for this coming season ,they are

Looking good..!!

Edited by fuchsntf

31 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

A deadline day signing. 

Thought this too...

with of course the fact that they also weaken us in the process, with not enough time to respond.

1 hour ago, Foxymcoxy said:

He was definitely on the windup. You must not have been paying attention. All the more reason not to bite though.

I had a look through his posts and was surprised to see that he signed up in 2016 and one of his first posts was a video from then of himself talking about a Man Utd match against us. Seems he has his own YouTube channel. 

...think we have played this all wrong!!!!

Yes we have not folded and given in to United but  also should have re-enforced our position and should have set a deadline for the 15th of July, for accepting any bids on Maguire. In this instance we have emulated Arsenal, who under Wenger were very poor when it came to holding on to their better players.

The usual talk of player not being sold went on year on year and dragged on for the entire transfer window) and in all cases the player was sold just before the window closed (see Van Persie et al). Just holding on to a player is not winning the argument, we are depriving ourselves of the time required, we have a team to plan , with patterns of play and getting to know each others game. 

I still think he will go,...... apart from 80-90m (with little time to source a replacement) what have we achieved in the way we have handled this,United are in control of this narrative and we only have ourselves to blame.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...think we have played this all wrong!!!!

Yes we have not folded and given in to United but  also should have re-enforced our position and should have set a deadline for the 15th of July, for accepting any bids on Maguire. In this instance we have emulated Arsenal, who under Wenger were very poor when it came to holding on to their better players.

The usual talk of player not being sold went on year on year and dragged on for the entire transfer window) and in all cases the player was sold just before the window closed (see Van Persie et al). Just holding on to a player is not winning the argument, we are depriving ourselves of the time required, we have a team to plan , with patterns of play and getting to know each others game. 

I still think he will go,...... apart from 80-90m (with little time to source a replacement) what have we achieved in the way we have handled this,United are in control of this narrative and we only have ourselves to blame.

I don't know about that.  United have tried all kinds to unsettle the player and drive down the price and failed.  I'm sure we would not sell but for the fact that Harry wants the move and we have apparently told him that we won't stand in his way if the asking price is met.  In this case, we should try to get the best possible price and if it happens we will have.  Yes, the timing is not ideal, but I'm sure we could have planned for the contingency.  I'm not a fan of keeping players that want to move.

Another way of looking at this is that his transfer fee has already been spent.  We have spent £80m on three transfers so far.  Where does it come from?  My guess is that it was spent against Harry's transfer fee either in this window or the next.

I think that the majority of the football world will look at this move and think that we have come out on top.

On 30/07/2019 at 15:07, ClaphamFox said:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. A collective meltdown over Nicky Maynard. I watched the Maguire transfer thread reach more than 300 pages. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Beautiful reference, one of my all time favourite posts.

You sir, or madam, are a credit to FT. :appl:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

Brendan said today nothing's changed on the club's stance. My thought on a potential deadline was either end of July (you've got 38 mins, lads), a week to go (tomorrow), or the Atalanta game.

Or maybe the deadline doesn't exist and it's to apply pressure on United to pay up or feck off. All we can do is wait it out I guess, the longer it goes on the better.

Of course a deadline exists. We’d need time to sort a replacement out. My guess at BR’s deadline is actually today. 

6 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

A deadline day signing. 

There is a degree of this.

From a footballing perspective, Utd would want to get him in sooner rather than later.  Get him into the squad and playing and training with the rest of their team.

From a money angle though, the longer they wait, the greater the potential saving.  We say they can have him for 90m but they don't want to spend more than 80m. Utd are in a position to chance their arm here because there isn't really any competition for his signature with only Man City indicating that they would potentially match the offer.

If Utd present themselves in fashion that suggests it's a really difficult decision for them and they really don't want to fork out the asking price, then they are in a position to do it as there is no pressure to make the signing straight away.  They can spend a lot of time presenting to Leicester how they have come up with their valuation and can put some pressure on us in the hope that we cave in. If all this posturing saves them 10m then, from a business perspective, it makes perfect sense.

I'm sure that Top and the team will hold their nerve though and Utd will pay the full asking price next week. 

1 minute ago, nnfox said:

There is a degree of this.

From a footballing perspective, Utd would want to get him in sooner rather than later.  Get him into the squad and playing and training with the rest of their team.

From a money angle though, the longer they wait, the greater the potential saving.  We say they can have him for 90m but they don't want to spend more than 80m. Utd are in a position to chance their arm here because there isn't really any competition for his signature with only Man City indicating that they would potentially match the offer.

If Utd present themselves in fashion that suggests it's a really difficult decision for them and they really don't want to fork out the asking price, then they are in a position to do it as there is no pressure to make the signing straight away.  They can spend a lot of time presenting to Leicester how they have come up with their valuation and can put some pressure on us in the hope that we cave in. If all this posturing saves them 10m then, from a business perspective, it makes perfect sense.

I'm sure that Top and the team will hold their nerve though and Utd will pay the full asking price next week. 

Top said a world record fee, I believe? Sounds like 80m might about do it, if there are no stupid add-ons of course.

We don't wish to sell our player, the player himself is open to a move.  After discussions they have agreed his worth to the club. Therefore we have set a record price that needs to be matched before the player can leave.  We are not willing to go to deadline day for completion. If this is not done by close of play tuesday i think he will be staying. We have to give Harry respect for his conduct.

• Like 1