Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

If he goes I hope we have the alternative ready to sign immediately. This is all a bit last minute for my liking. 

Maguire deserves his chance, if he chooses to go, then fair enough. He has done more than enough here to warrant a hero's goodbye.

But I do resent him slightly if he downs tools tonight, he's been part of our entire preseason, if he felt that we were blocking the transfer he should have made his intentions clearer much earlier in the window. 

Has no-one considered that raising the asking price is the one thing that will really piss off the player??

If we believe the “realistic” part of what has been written, at the start of the window Harry told Leicester his intentions, and the club told him he could leave if we got a bid of x amount. (Possibly £80m, but who knows for sure).

From what we can see, he’s gone about things the right way, spoken to the club in private, got on with training, played in whichever team he’s selected for in pre-season, not done any interviews, not publicly put out a statement, not put in an actual transfer request.

If Leicester start moving the goalposts, and reject a bid that meets what they told Harry they would accept, he’s (quite legitimately) gonna get pissed off. He may then feel it is time to put in a request, speak out to the media etc, as he may now believe the club is going back on it’s word??

I’m all for squeezing Man Utd for every penny we can, but not at the risk of Harry making moves that will jeopardise what we’ve already been offered. One word from Harry in public and Man Utd might turn around and say “right, things have changed, £60m or we totally walk away”, and then what are we left with? Less than we wanted, or a very unhappy player that has publically asked to leave?.

If Man U actually offer £80m, I think for our own sake we NEED to accept it, before we lose the upper hand!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

But he is the king of the knock-downs at the back post, if my memory is not deceiving me. I do think he should score/assist more, but defences know what's coming with him, and just throw anything they can land at him.

I'd say he, like Huth before him, was one of the most fouled players at set plays. Perfect for VAR really.

£78+10 would do it for me, in terms of value this is peak Harry.

Yeah in fairness it could also just be a system thing as well

2 minutes ago, Foxhateram said:

If he goes I hope we have the alternative ready to sign immediately. This is all a bit last minute for my liking. 

Maguire deserves his chance, if he chooses to go, then fair enough. He has done more than enough here to warrant a hero's goodbye.

But I do resent him slightly if he downs tools tonight, he's been part of our entire preseason, if he felt that we were blocking the transfer he should have made his intentions clearer much earlier in the window. 

Hmmm not sure that's fair. It sounds like he's always been honest about being interested in the move, but understanding that the price needs to be paid. It was said he's still going to be turning up for training on Saturday, so it's just this match that he's sitting out of - and we can understand that with the potential for injuries and the implications for everyone concerned. 

Still have a slight gut feeling it won't happen, as they won't agree to a fee and payment structure we are happy with. But then I have said that all along about Brexit too, so maybe I just live life in denial!

3 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Hmmm not sure that's fair. It sounds like he's always been honest about being interested in the move, but understanding that the price needs to be paid. It was said he's still going to be turning up for training on Saturday, so it's just this match that he's sitting out of - and we can understand that with the potential for injuries and the implications for everyone concerned. 

Still have a slight gut feeling it won't happen, as they won't agree to a fee and payment structure we are happy with. But then I have said that all along about Brexit too, so maybe I just live life in denial!

Fancy this bit in bold is down to just how desparate/stubborn Utd are going to become.

Oh, and I don`t resent him at all. He is Sheff Utd fan, not a Leicester fan. :dunno:

Edited by Dahnsouff

4 minutes ago, City1884 said:

Has no-one considered that raising the asking price is the one thing that will really piss off the player??

If we believe the “realistic” part of what has been written, at the start of the window Harry told Leicester his intentions, and the club told him he could leave if we got a bid of x amount. (Possibly £80m, but who knows for sure).

From what we can see, he’s gone about things the right way, spoken to the club in private, got on with training, played in whichever team he’s selected for in pre-season, not done any interviews, not publicly put out a statement, not put in an actual transfer request.

If Leicester start moving the goalposts, and reject a bid that meets what they told Harry they would accept, he’s (quite legitimately) gonna get pissed off. He may then feel it is time to put in a request, speak out to the media etc, as he may now believe the club is going back on it’s word??

I’m all for squeezing Man Utd for every penny we can, but not at the risk of Harry making moves that will jeopardise what we’ve already been offered. One word from Harry in public and Man Utd might turn around and say “right, things have changed, £60m or we totally walk away”, and then what are we left with? Less than we wanted, or a very unhappy player that has publically asked to leave?.

If Man U actually offer £80m, I think for our own sake we NEED to accept it, before we lose the upper hand!

I think you have answered your own question there mate.

The only thing we should all take for gospel is that BR has spoken publically twice about how Leicester's stance hasn't changed.

6 minutes ago, City1884 said:

I very much doubt we have, he'd have every right to be pissed but I don't think the club are that stupid. 

The timing of this is all getting a bit scary.  As someone said earlier, I’d rather he’d gone for 70 million 3 weeks ago than 90 million now.  Will we actually have a definite deal with another player, or is BR seriously thinking soyuncu can do the job?  Because if so, that would be a disaster - he’s a liability.  Wes is old and injury prone.  We absolutely need a Harry replacement. 

12 minutes ago, City1884 said:

If that happened, the club would just say, "Well, cheerio then." The club still does not want to sell Maguire, and that won't change no matter whether or not he expresses his desire to leave.

1 minute ago, z-layrex said:

What has Harry done that deserves a hero's goodbye? This club plucked him from relegation and championship football to the point he's now next in line for England captain. If he goes he's had. Couple good seasons for us and pissed off to the most hated club in England on the eve of us doing something special again.

Two-way street for me.

Harry has benefited from being at Leicester, from the point of view with regards to his, development as a player, his career as an England international and clearly from a financial point of view.

On the flip side, Leicester have benefited from Harry being quite unlike other defenders we had/have, his general composure and stability and just generally being quite good. He is far from perfect, but he is very good and it would be disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

Would guess that should a bid be accepted, and he leaves, it would be with our good wishes.

No more, no less.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

I think you have answered your own question there mate.

The only thing we should all take for gospel is that BR has spoken publically twice about how Leicester's stance hasn't changed.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not taking anything for gospel, but I am starting to get nervous and twitchy that reports are now starting to appear about wanting £90m (which is more than anything previously reported) , Harry not playing tonight because of his frame of mind, and him getting “more and more frustrated”.

I really hope we don’t play ourselves into a bad position.

1 minute ago, City1884 said:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not taking anything for gospel, but I am starting to get nervous and twitchy that reports are now starting to appear about wanting £90m (which is more than anything previously reported) , Harry not playing tonight because of his frame of mind, and him getting “more and more frustrated”.

I really hope we don’t play ourselves into a bad position.

I see the problem here.....:)

5 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

If that happened, the club would just say, "Well, cheerio then." The club still does not want to sell Maguire, and that won't change no matter whether or not he expresses his desire to leave.

What I’m saying though, is if that happens because we’ve tried to push for more money than we’ve told Harry is acceptable at the start, we could then be stuck with a very unhappy player.

10 minutes ago, Qwerty said:

The timing of this is all getting a bit scary.  As someone said earlier, I’d rather he’d gone for 70 million 3 weeks ago than 90 million now.  Will we actually have a definite deal with another player, or is BR seriously thinking soyuncu can do the job?  Because if so, that would be a disaster - he’s a liability.  Wes is old and injury prone.  We absolutely need a Harry replacement. 

lol.

Edited by That_Dude
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, City1884 said:

But we haven't. The only credible sources (confirmed by the most recent JP article) state that the highest bid Manchester United have placed has been £70m + add ons.

• Like 1

All this unhappy player talk, obviously if we move the goalposts he isn’t going to be impressed but on the flip side I don’t think it’s in his nature to throw his toys out the pram, be stroppy, go on strike, etc and furthermore if he was to do any of that he can say goodbye to playing for England in the Euros next summer.

I’m not really advocating moving the goalposts but the simple matter should be that we set a deadline either last weekend or yesterday, a week before the transfer window closes - and that should have meant a deal to have been concluded by then, not start negotiating then.

Failure (as it seems) to have set a deadline is on the clubs head - yet another learning curve, it’s just a shame we learn the hard way.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1