Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

Cant help but feel anxious about selling him. I get the reasons the club may want to do it, but if we want to push on in the league we cant afford to downgrade in any positions.  If we genuinely think that Dunk (or whoever the target maybe) is at the same level then sure go for it but I cant shake the feeling that we could be ruing this decision at the end of the season.

Ive said it before, but we really are on the cusp of something special and things dont really need to be shaken up at the moment. The only reason id want to sell would be if the YT deal hinged on it 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ALC Fox said:

With Benkovic injured, Soyuncu untried for a sustained period, Wes another year older and Arsenal now after Dunk, if things really do against us, selling Maguire could be disastrous.

If he does go, which is looking likelier by the day, I just hope Soyuncu can step up and/or we can get a top class replacement in. I'd like to see one of the academy boys make some match-day squads as well, like Johnson, Pascanu, Knight, Moore or Hughes.

tbf Arsenal were after Dunk either last summer or the one before, so their interest isnt anything new.

also as said Amartey can play as CB too, while hes hardly played it for us, he usually plays there for Ghana, so we have plenty of options there, 

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Morgan had probably his best season last year for us for 2-3 seasons. It's just been a huge intention of our fan base to see him replaced as we had other younger defenders waiting in the wings. I'm not so sure he has declined like some have claimed, out of the 3 main CB's last season it was Maguire who performed worse than expected. I certainly wouldn't want to rely on him to be first choice for 30+ games with Evans next year but he is the perfect 3/4th choice defender and gets the job done.

Soyuncu has to be given the chance, he was highly coveted by quite a lot of big clubs and we managed to get him. I think there's the ingredients to be a superb player, also a cult hero. He is every bit as good on the ball as the rest of our defenders so it fits in with Rodgers style seamlessly.

Maybe we could pick up an out of favour CB on loan like Chambers, Bailly, Rojo or take a punt on Mawson, Gibson etc that they'll overcome their injuries as they were every bit as promising as Maguire a few years ago.

100% agree regarding Morgan. Last season other than the Wolves away game, I think he was outstanding to be honest.

With regards to the list of names you’ve suggested Bailly would certainly be my choice I think BR could turn him into a great player & he still has age on his side. I would take £55-60m plus Bailly for Maguire.

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I don't think Soyuncu ever got enough of a chance last year. He's a bit rusty but he's clearly quite good as well. As stated he's quicker for sure and he's demonstrated he's got ability on the ball.

BR was very impressed with him in the game he played too. I think it was against Huddersfield if I remember correctly.

24 minutes ago, ian_marshall said:

I think people misunderstand the term "ball playing" centre half, and base their views solely on what they've seen Maguire do in a Leicester shirt.

The reality is that if Maguire does go we don't need a centre half capable of dribbling the ball halfway down the pitch, what we need is a defender who is comfortable in possession and won't treat the ball like a 'hot potato' launching it down the field to nobody the second they come under a bit of pressure.

Someone who is solid at the back and has the capability of bringing the ball out of the back line and offloading to a midfielder will suffice. In fact I think Maguire is guilty of overplaying at times. For all of his marauding runs I can't really think of too many instances where it's led to anything of note. That's not to knock Maguire, as I've said in the past he's a wonderful footballer but I've certainly seen better defender's so I'm not sure how much of a negative impact (if any) his departure would have on the team. Saying that he's a great fit for Man City and will look world class in their side given how little defending he'll actually have to do, so if he is to leave for them I really do hope we get a fee which will represent good business when we reflect upon the transfer in a year's time. 

Before Maddison and YT, there were games when he was not only our best defender on the pitch, but our best midfielder as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

BR was very impressed with him in the game he played too. I think it was against Huddersfield if I remember correctly.

Farquaad not tall enough and dominant in the air enough though for a PL quality CB. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fox85 said:

I can see what he means to a small intent.

But Ndidi is well underrated take him out our team and we would be ****ed 

I remember when the longer Dean Ashton was injured the better he became. He was eventually regarded as the missing piece in the England jigsaw puzzle!

17 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Farquaad not tall enough and dominant in the air enough though for a PL quality CB. 

He has quite a powerful jump in him if needed so I wouldn't worry too much.

Plus pacmanu and the 6 foot 4 benkovic is always an option 

Edited by Fightforever

3 hours ago, Bert said:

Amartey is better on the ball than N’Didi, although under Rodgers Wilf has improved greatly 

I think he has improved since Tielemans came in rather than Rogers.

Alongside Mendy, the onus was on him to be more ambitious in his passing which is not his game.  With Tielemans alsongside he can sit back and concentrate on what he does best, stealing the ball and giving it to Youri to make things happen.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, murphy said:

I think he has improved since Tielemans came in rather than Rogers.

Alongside Mendy, the onus was on him to be more ambitious in his passing which is not his game.  With Tielemans alsongside he can sit back and concentrate on what he does best, stealing the ball and giving it to Youri to make things happen.

That’s a great point to be fair. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FrankieADZ said:

tbf Arsenal were after Dunk either last summer or the one before, so their interest isnt anything new.

also as said Amartey can play as CB too, while hes hardly played it for us, he usually plays there for Ghana, so we have plenty of options there, 

If we’re playing Amartey at CB for any significant amount of time, we’re in dire straights with respect to where we want to be as a club. 

He’s a versatile player to have on the bench but if we’re counting him as a back-up CB then someone, somewhere has majorly fuched up. 

21 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

If we’re playing Amartey at CB for any significant amount of time, we’re in dire straights with respect to where we want to be as a club. 

He’s a versatile player to have on the bench but if we’re counting him as a back-up CB then someone, somewhere has majorly fuched up. 

He plays centre back for Ghana so he can't be that bad there 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Poznan34 said:

He plays centre back for Ghana so he can't be that bad there 

I doubt Ghana have a great pool to choose from. More importantly, they aren’t playing against top class strikers week in week out. 

The Ghana squad would get relegated in the Premier League. 

Oh and Jeffrey Schlupp has 18 Caps. (We all

love Jeff but come on).