Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

1 hour ago, Heymister2015 said:

Soyuncu deserves a chance if this goes through.

Between Evans, Benkovic, Soyuncu and Morgan we should have this covered, quite frankly. Don’t get me wrong, I’d rather we keep Maguire, but if we are going to lose a player from any position for silly money, centre back is the one place we have good cover, with potential to push on and get as good as Maguire IF they are given the chance and regular starts (and Benkovic can keep fit)

Surely this eventuality is why we dropped the coin for Soyuncu and Benkovic?  Benkovic’s injury problems are one thing, but I really want to see those two get a chance rather than spend half the haul on another CB.  Evans will probably be one starter anyway, so you really only need one of the two kids to be ready.

Rather than 40 million or more on someone like Dunk, I’d just sign a vet in the “better than Wes” bracket for insurance.

• Like 2

Maguire will be hard to replace but it's not a position we need to replace imo. Morgan, Evans, Soyuncu and Benkovic should be enough depth for next season. £80m should be enough then to get Tielemans in and hopefully a quality winger, which imo would improve the team if the right quality is bought with a zero net spend.

this is just me venting out loud, how the hell are we ever going to challenge for a top 4 spot if we sell our best players after just 1-2 years. i know the money talks, but if we could only keep what we have and maybe spent 150,000.00 million and bring in 3-4 players we could maybe end up i a top 4 spot, just pisses me of that we find the good ones and then along comes the same shit clubs and takes them away. o.k iam done.    

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bpfox said:

this is just me venting out loud, how the hell are we ever going to challenge for a top 4 spot if we sell our best players after just 1-2 years. i know the money talks, but if we could only keep what we have and maybe spent 150,000.00 million and bring in 3-4 players we could maybe end up i a top 4 spot, just pisses me of that we find the good ones and then along comes the same shit clubs and takes them away. o.k iam done.    

The sad reality is the last 3 years it’s been necessary and quite unavoidable. All 3 big players pushed for a move and we needed the money. In Kante’s case he had a release clause and had to go way, way below value. Mahrez had been desperate for a move for at least 2 years so we had an obligation to him; however we sold him at just the right time and made an unbelievable profit on him. Drinkwater had suffered with injuries and looking back now, that was phenomenal business. 

This summer though, I just don’t think we’ll sell anyone. It just doesn’t feel like we will. If we did though, we’d make a monstrous profit which would be spent on upgrading the squad. I think we’re able to do some great business regardless, personally. 

1 hour ago, bpfox said:

150,000.00 million is 150 billion pounds.  Just about a month's worth of the Gross Domestic Product of the entire UK.

Yeah I think that might get us to top 4   :crylaugh: Would make Ed Woodward's spending look sensible though ... and leave FFP a smoking ruin

Edited by KingsX

1 hour ago, bpfox said:

Notwithstanding other financial commitments, I don't think our owners want to blow  £150m of their personal money into the team. I don't blame them, I wouldn't either, it's a business, not a hobby like it is to us on here. Albeit with the best intentions, when they have spent reasonably big it hasn't always been a success ie Slimani, Silva and Iheanacho. Yet in Marhez and Vardy it's a different story. They've already said they want the team to be self sufficient and if they sell Maguire that would be part of it, buy small sell big for the betterment of the team as a whole. There's a happy medium to be had between spending big like Man United on seemingly a not very good team as a whole, and releasing too many players for profit like Southampton. They may also have ambitions to bring certain credible players in but, that doesn't always mean they can get them through their team refusing to sell or the player not wanting to come here or go elsewhere. Failure to buy doesn't always mean lack of ambition to buy but we're never going to be privy to such negotiations.

3 hours ago, bpfox said:

This is true but if the money is big enough even the top clubs will sell. I see this as more like Liverpool selling Philippe Coutinho. He was one of their top players, but they got north of 100 million and were able to buy Van Dijk and Allison, which won them a champions league.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bert said:

And selling Maguire is going to help that....?

Possibly. It would presumably give us the capability to have more flexibility to fill multiple positions within the squad/team. Would rather he stayed, but at what cost?

You’d like to think we have a look at Benkovic and assess his injury status before deciding if this has any rationale.

HM is the mould of player we want. We’re taking a step backwards if we let him go.  

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Well it is. 

We can’t keep judging his value in the context of ‘the most expensive defender in history’ the clubs are so awash with money nowadays that all comparisons are off. Prices are now driven purely buy how much a club needs to sell (in our case not at all) and how much another club needs to buy that is the only criteria you can judge it on. With that in mind 80mill is about right. We want to keep him, Man City need to replace Kompany.

personally if Man City are offering 80mil for HM, we should take it, he isnt worth that in the months of Sunday imo

dont get me wrong it will be sad to see him go but we have benkovic and Soyuncu who can step up too,

think Soyuncu deserve a shot tbh, the more he plays the better he will get

• Like 3

Its like valuing a bit of jewellery with our Arry. Lots of guff being written about Maguire, latest in the Metro of all places has "United reportedly value Maguire at £40m". Then there were reports yesterday the Citeh were coming in with a £75mn offer. At the end of the day, he is English which is worth a premium, he is a regular International player which is worth a premium in shirt sales and he'd probably cost £70mn to replace like for like and there is the Hull City cut on any transfer fee to consider.

Now Citeh are reportedly keen on Maguire as a Kompany boot filler, with the amount of game time Kompany has had in recent seasons he could well end up shining a seat alongside Mahrez.

54 minutes ago, LinekersLugs said:

£80m , wow he is not worth half that , some on here forget the many howlers , Brendan will use that cash well 

Howlers? Considering the way he plays, I would expect a few of these ...... I can’t remember them though .....

6 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

personally if Man City are offering 80mil for HM, we should take it, he isnt worth that in the months of Sunday imo

dont get me wrong it will be sad to see him go but we have benkovic and Soyuncu who can step up too,

think Soyuncu deserve a shot tbh, the more he plays the better he will get

There is no strong evidence that Calgar can do this (although the manager will see plenty of him in training so can judge) ..... he certainly didn’t impress in the U23 early on but can forgive him that as adapting ...... benko seems to be a decent option but my concern is his fitness. Considering  Evans is a tad injury prone, so I guess Wes will get quite a few games next season ........

6 hours ago, shailen said:

Maguire will be hard to replace but it's not a position we need to replace imo. Morgan, Evans, Soyuncu and Benkovic should be enough depth for next season. £80m should be enough then to get Tielemans in and hopefully a quality winger, which imo would improve the team if the right quality is bought with a zero net spend.

Disagree.  Evans and Benko are injury risks, Benko and Caglar are untested in the PL, and Wes is basically unplayable against any side with pace in attack.  I'd absolutely give Soyuncu and Benkovic first crack, but I'd 100% sign another proven CB for depth.  Just not a 40 million one.

• Like 4

Dont think that it's a choice between youri and Maguire. Think we can afford youri without selling Maguire.

It's appears to be a choice between Maguire and upgrading the 4 other potential players that we could do with to improve the squad. Nothing suggests that we have enough money to afford youri, get a goalscoring winger, a reserve striker, a reserve for maddison/youri and a reserve full back. think it just depends on whether people would be happy with just youri and wheeling and dealing for another position. Think if it's 80m and a new world record fee for a cb, we have to take it and invest it in the other positions to supplement getting youri. 

• Like 2