Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

2 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

Being a pragmatist, maybe we can if every summer we replace them with a Ricardo and Maddison? A bit like managing a woodland. But not if they are replaced with a Nacho and a Ghezzal. It’s a risky strategy. Maybe that’s the lot of teams outside the mega bank-rolled elite ?? ?‍♂️

Agreed !!

48 minutes ago, sdb said:

I'd hull get 15% then we're getting £68 mill, which is probably about right in this market. Hope we hold out for 90, then we really will have done well. 

Still be happy if he just stayed too!

Hull would only get their 15% of the profit so we would get £70.4m from selling him for £80m

We can’t compare vvd at his current ability and now price tag to Harry.

but I think harry is at a very similar level to vvd at Southampton before he joined Liverpool at £75m, now with inflation £90m seems about right.

23 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Or YT will look at it and think to himself that maybe he is better served by going to a club where they don’t sell their best players if he wants to win trophies ........

Or he might think that we could be a very good stepping stone for his career. 

If we get a reputation for trying to stop anyone leaving then that may put off players joining too. It's a balancing act.

Edited by desertfox2
Minor
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, desertfox2 said:

Or he might think that we could be a very good stepping stone for his career. 

But he has proved himself to be at a level not to need another stepping stone. Our selling point to him is we are going to break in to the top 6 and look for European qualification. Otherwise he can join a top 6 club now. 

Just now, floz said:

But he has proved himself to be at a level not to need another stepping stone. Our selling point to him is we are going to break in to the top 6 and look for European qualification. Otherwise he can join a top 6 club now. 

Has he though? It doesn't seem like any of the top 6 are beating a path to his door to sign him as their number 1 priority. Lucky for us. 

I think this is all about timing. I think whilst pretty much all of us would agree he has been a superb signing for us, I cant help thinking his reputation outside of the club is still vastly inflated by the world cup.

Given another season he may get found out a little more and his value drops,  that said Pep could help him move on to the next level.

If the fee is 80m and we reinvest wisely, I say thanks big man, good luck and save your worst games for us!

There's 2 sides to this;

You have people worrying that seeing a top player being sold is negative for the club and may be seen as us regressing.

However, that can also show that if a player comes here; they'll grow with the team and if an offer suiting our valuation comes in, then you are able to move on. 

Look at Utd, basically every player that has gone there has regressed. Pogba was one of the most sort after players and has looked half the player he was. Same can be said for Sanchez and a few others. 

Edited by UniFox21

33 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

You can’t rely on making good calls on incoming players and we need quality depth in the squad so we can compete for top six and put out decent line ups around cup ties ..... 

No. Agreed. But having significant income that can be invested into an infrastructure that allows us to develop our own talent,  alongside the vagaries of transfer incomings, seems a reasonable strategy. I’m LCFC. I’d give up part of my life expectancy to have played for us. But I fully accept that 99% of players on our books will not feel that way. They will aspire to a bigger club. At this point in our evolution, said players knowing they come here and can move on after impressing is no bad thing, maybe? If Maguire leaves and that bankrolls Tielemans and ANOther, I’m okay with that. If Tielemans leaves next summer for a similar potential profit to Harry, I’m

okay with that, too. I’d love us not to have to prostitute ourselves thus, but that’s not where we’re at. IMO ?‍♂️

I can’t believe that some of you don’t appreciate the quality in possession we need our CB to be to play Brendan’s preferred style 

They must be brave with their play and supremely comfortable when receiving the ball and whilst they have the ball 

maguire is superb in this regard and will not be replaceable for the amount of money we are able to spend nor the quality of proven player we are currently able to attract. 

Assuming YT signed, I was really looking forward to the season .....without Harry, I wont be as much ......

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

We are not at the pointt of being ready to be a big club yet, we still have 2 or 3 more steps to take in my opinion. (Consistent 7+ in the league, may Europa, may cup)

And selling Maguire is going to help that....?

I'd love to keep Maguire forever but I can be pragmatic. If selling Maguire meant we could buy YT, a cheaper defender and strengthen elsewhere id be fairly ok with it. There's probably only about 5 clubs on earth that could keep a player if Pep and Man City are interested and we'd be mental to think we could stop a player making that move. Of course I'd like us to be able to keep all of our best players but we're not at that level yet. X 

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I can’t believe that some of you don’t appreciate the quality in possession we need our CB to be to play Brendan’s preferred style 

They must be brave with their play and supremely comfortable when receiving the ball and whilst they have the ball 

maguire is superb in this regard and will not be replaceable for the amount of money we are able to spend nor the quality of proven player we are currently able to attract. 

Assuming YT signed, I was really looking forward to the season .....without Harry, I wont be as much ......

Relax.....In BR we trust. We have cover this and use this the cash ‘wisely’...,,...hopefully.

15 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Relax.....In BR we trust. We have cover this and use this the cash ‘wisely’...,,...hopefully.

Currently we don’t have any cover that is anywhere near as good as Maguire. 

Seems inevitable that he’ll leave, we know it’s been in the pipeline for a while as we signed big potential replacements in Soyuncu and Benkovic and now both have had time to settle into the British game, could be time for them to step up. Very good player is Harry but £80m is stupid money that will benefit our transfer business in the long run. 

• Like 1