Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

10 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

Poch is a top manager who has got Spurs punching well above their weight. When he goes, which he will soon enough, the mighty Spuds will glide effortlessly into mid table. 

I like Pochettino and think he's outgrown Spurs/taken them as far as he can but when he goes, how do you know Spurs will regress to mid-table? Surely it's dependent on who they bring in as a replacement whenever it is?

It's also dependent on who they keep players-wise. It is quite concerning, for Spurs, however, that Vertonghen, Eriksen & Alderweireld are all out of contract next season. Not only is it bad that they may/are likely to all leave on free transfers therefore, but they're all very key players to how Spurs tick, especially Eriksen. 

Pochettino spoke about how 'unsettled' Spurs are right now - with key players on the brink of leaving and perhaps the CL heartbreak last season, it may be quite an achievement for them to even finish top 4 again...

tbf Abraham has played a couple of times for England...his contract looks pretty standard next to...

Loftus Cheek - £150k p/w

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/07/02/ruben-loftus-cheek-agrees-new-long-term-chelsea-contract/

Hudson Odoi - £100k p/w (much less experience than Abraham)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/23/chelsea-friendly-win-barcelona-delights-frank-lampard

31 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I like Pochettino and think he's outgrown Spurs/taken them as far as he can but when he goes, how do you know Spurs will regress to mid-table? Surely it's dependent on who they bring in as a replacement whenever it is?

It's also dependent on who they keep players-wise. It is quite concerning, for Spurs, however, that Vertonghen, Eriksen & Alderweireld are all out of contract next season. Not only is it bad that they may/are likely to all leave on free transfers therefore, but they're all very key players to how Spurs tick, especially Eriksen. 

Pochettino spoke about how 'unsettled' Spurs are right now - with key players on the brink of leaving and perhaps the CL heartbreak last season, it may be quite an achievement for them to even finish top 4 again...

Stan. I have spoken and so it will be. Get with the program. I am like Sean from Enderby. Except, I’m never wrong. Ever ever. 

They will fall like all empires fall, into smoke and desolation, the pall of their destruction cut through with the wailing of women, the cries of children and the clinking of bottles. 

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Stan. I have spoken and so it will be. Get with the program. I am like Sean from Enderby. Except, I’m never wrong. Ever ever. 

They will fall like all empires fall, into smoke and desolation, the pall of their destruction cut through with the wailing of women, the cries of children and the clinking of bottles. 

Glad you mention bottles in a post about Spurs though tbf

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Kane will want away pretty soon if Spurs don't win anything soon.

5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

If a real Madrid or Barca came calling think he'd be off  

Funny thing is I know he scored tons of goals and is the golden one as far as English media is concerned but I just don't see him at Barca or Real.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Harry Kane at Madrid or Barca **** off lol , especially Barca too, a club which Ibra failed at who is a more mobile and better footballer than Kane lol, he'll end up at United, no doubt in my mind. Especially with Red Rom gone theres a position to fill

Think it was well known that Ibra didn't get on with a few key figures at Barca and in the end he was pissed off with how they played him or how tactics didn't work around him. Messi and Guardiola were two main figures he clashed with. So yes while Ibra may have been more mobile and better at the time he was at Barca, there's reasons why his time there isn't a fair comparison. 

Having said that, I can't see Kane going to Barca now that they've signed Griezmann and probably won't be able to fork out the money Spurs will demand for him. I can see Man City going for him when Aguero departs. 

2 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Harry Kane at Madrid or Barca **** off lol , especially Barca too, a club which Ibra failed at who is a more mobile and better footballer than Kane lol, he'll end up at United, no doubt in my mind. Especially with Red Rom gone theres a position to fill

Kane is more likely a replacement for Red Rum! 

6 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

That's how I picture losing at Burnley

Still, even with Levy there I think Tottenham would be hard for a man of Rodgers' restless ambition to turn down.

I think BR's gameplan is pretty straightforward.  Make enough of an impact at Leicester to be in the conversation whenever the next Big 6 manager flames out or bails.  Could be Lampard, could be Ole (though that one may happen too quickly).  His dream scenario is probably to get an offer after the 19-20 season.

Edited by Deeg67

1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

Still, even with Levy there I think Tottenham would be hard for a man of Rodgers' restless ambition to turn down.

I think BR's gameplan is pretty straightforward.  Make enough of an impact at Leicester to be in the conversation whenever the next Big 6 manager flames out or bails.  Could be Lampard, could be Ole (though that one may happen too quickly).  His dream scenario is probably to get an offer after the 19-20 season.

That's totally cynical. But probably true. Hopefully, if he does well we'll be too good to leave.

59 minutes ago, Danizen said:

There's no way Rodgers would turn down Spurs if they came calling. 

I agree. I think BR may well be off if any big named club comes calling. 

However, in the current climate, I think the 'big 6' will go for foreign managers anyway. Lampard will be lucky to get more than one season at Chelsea and I think he was chosen because of their transfer ban. The big named managers always like money to spend and had Chelsea approached them I think they would have rejected joining, knowing the job was a poison chalice.

And Spuds could also be a poison chalice for their next manager. Levy runs the club and signs the players, not the manager. I just can't understand why Ponch stands for it. No wonder he says they have an unsettled squad! No wonder players want to leave!

And like Arsenal have found, the new stadium could end up being a huge millstone around their neck. Even Arsenal find it difficult to get the best players anymore. If Spuds don't win trophies very soon their big players will go. No good player likes to end their career with nothing and will Kane want to tell his grandchildren he played in a great stadium, or won trophies? Players, both staying and coming in, will demand more money than Levy likes to pay. It's a vicious circle and it's currently showing in their poor performances.

I know this wont matter much to a potential big ego manager who's likely to end up with another few million in his bank account even if he fails, but the way they are run should be of concern to them.

12 hours ago, StanSP said:

Trippier said there was huge unrest at the club and he was glad to be out of it 

5 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I hate to say it but I could see Rodgers going to Tottenham.

It wouldn’t be a wise move really considering how they operate, what their squad will be in 1-2 years time and the fact that Pochettino took them as far as they could go really (barring someone like Guardiola taking the reigns).

He’d do a job there but he’d be on a hiding to nothing. 

If any of the big boys come calling the only thing left will be a Rodgers-shaped hole in the wall of our offices.  No point in pretending otherwise.  The important thing is that the club should already be preparing for that contingency as best they can.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

If any of the big boys come calling the only thing left will be a Rodgers-shaped hole in the wall of our offices.  No point in pretending otherwise.  The important thing is that the club should already be preparing for that contingency as best they can.

It's a balancing act for him, if he jumps ship at the first opportunity of a top 4 side and he invariably gets the sack from there within 18 months like most of them do then he's in a worse off position bar having several million in compensation. Right now, we are the best team outside the top 6 for growth and expansion, we are building the best training ground in the country and we have a nucleus of young talent that is BR's bread and butter in improving. A few years with us and some tangible success and any future move could almost be hand picked. That being said, i'm under no illusions how much he rates himself and he wouldn't be put off by the worry of failing and being back on the scrapheap. I just hope he's here for a few seasons and delivers on what everyone thinks he's capable of doing as a manager.