Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

5 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

I've watched that Kane shout over and over and I really don't see how so many people are convinced that's a pen.  He seems to plant his left leg near Lascelles after he's already started falling then just kinda tumbles on top of him.

To be fair after watching the replay from before the actual incident it does seem like Lascelles purposely falls to fell Kane. It’s a bit harsh on Spurs and I for one would be livid if it wasn’t given to us. 

Having said that, I’m ecstatic that it wasn’t given!!!!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

A few boos there at the final whistle. The natives are restless.

The boos were for the ref and Burnley. 

2 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Pen for Wolves.

Edit: after they asked VAR.

The ref gave it. VAR simply checked it as per usual. 

We were poor and off our game today. Whether that was because of the European games is a guess but it has to have an effect playing twice a week constantly. Very slow and ponderous build up play today with static players ahead of them. Really not ourselves. Nuno got his starting XI wrong too. Traore should have started. Doherty just doesn't look fit or anywhere close to his usual self. 

Dyche had no real complaints about the penalty, other than it being soft. Which is correct, it was very, very soft. I'd have been fuming if we'd dropped two points to that. VAR will never over-rule a subjective decision like that though.

Absolutely serves Burnley right for time-wasting from the 3rd minute when their player tip-toed over to take a corner. The ref Pawson let them get away with it too, he was utter shit too!!! 

Burnley play a very effective direct style of football, into the channels, playing off the front men, and making every bit of possession count. Constantly punch above their weight in this division and Dyche deserves every bit of credit for that.

But...... Their off the ball tactics and antics are just plain embarrassing. Their full-back went over for a throw in and refused to pick the ball up which was three yards away from him, waiting for the ball boy to pick it up and give it to him. Goalkeeper regularly taking 20+ seconds to kick the ball out of his hands. Players dropping to the floor for treatment at every foul they got. Shuffling over for corners at 1mph, not going off the nearest point for subs. I could go on and on but it's boring. Dyche shouldn't send his players out to do that sort of shithousery from pretty much the first corner they got in the first 5-10 mins. It's plain unsporting and refs need to stamp it out. I hate it when other clubs do it and I'd be embarrassed if Wolves did that. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, stix said:

To be fair after watching the replay from before the actual incident it does seem like Lascelles purposely falls to fell Kane. It’s a bit harsh on Spurs and I for one would be livid if it wasn’t given to us. 

Having said that, I’m ecstatic that it wasn’t given!!!!!

Lascelles definitely falls over to try to fell Kane, but I don’t think he really connects at all and Kane just goes down at the slightest touch. People will argue that there is “contact” and that Kane is “within his right to go down” but I don’t think there was enough contact to justify how Kane fell.

It’s 50/50 and I could easily see why the ref could have given the penalty too. Ultimately VAR should help but you will never be able to measure how much contact can make a player topple over. We’ll be arguing about many incidents like this as it’s just down to interpretation. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

Lascelles definitely falls over to try to fell Kane, but I don’t think he really connects at all and Kane just goes down at the slightest touch. People will argue that there is “contact” and that Kane is “within his right to go down” but I don’t think there was enough contact to justify how Kane fell.

It’s 50/50 and I could easily see why the ref could have given the penalty too. Ultimately VAR should help but you will never be able to measure how much contact can make a player topple over. We’ll be arguing about many incidents like this as it’s just down to interpretation. 

If the ref gives that then VAR doesn’t reverse it. As it is, the VAR ref doesn’t judge it a clear and obvious error not to give it. That’s what people miss on this. VAR isnt re refereeing decisions - it is there to correct clear mistakes - that Kane decision is a bit like ‘umpires call’ ..... most of us consider its a pen but there is some doubt - hence VAR isn’t going to over rule the ref. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Bear said:

We were poor and off our game today. Whether that was because of the European games is a guess but it has to have an effect playing twice a week constantly. Very slow and ponderous build up with static players ahead of them. Really not ourselves. Nuno got his starting XI wrong too. Traore should have started. 

Dyche had no real complaints about the penalty, other than it being soft. Which is correct, it was very, very soft. I'd have been fuming if we'd dropped two points to that. VAR will never over-rule a subjective decision like that though.

Absutely serves Burnley right for time-wasting from the 3rd minute when their player tip-toed over to take a corner. The ref Pawson let them get away with it too, he was utter shit too!!! 

Burnley play a very effective direct style of football, into the channels, playing off the front men, and making every bit of possession count. Constantly ouch above their weight in this division and Dyche deserves every bit of credit for that.

But...... Their off the ball tactics and antics are just plain embarrassing. Their full-back went over for a throw in and refused to pick the ball up which was three yards away from him, waiting for the ball boy to pick it up and give it to him. Goalkeeper regularly taking 20+ seconds to kick the ball out of his hands. Players dropping to the floor for treatment at every foul they got. Shuffling over for corners at 1mph, not going off the nearest point for subs. I could go on and on but it's boring. Dyche shouldn't send his players out to do that sort of shithousery from pretty much the first corner they got in the first 5-10 mins. It's plain unsporting and refs need to stamp it out. I hate it when other clubs do it and I'd be embarrassed if Wolves did that. 

Excuses excuses 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, The Bear said:

This could literally have been a post on here about Wolves after the first game of the season.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, The Bear said:

We were poor and off our game today. Whether that was because of the European games is a guess but it has to have an effect playing twice a week constantly. Very slow and ponderous build up play today with static players ahead of them. Really not ourselves. Nuno got his starting XI wrong too. Traore should have started. Doherty just doesn't look fit or anywhere close to his usual self. 

Absolutely serves Burnley right for time-wasting from the 3rd minute when their player tip-toed over to take a corner. The ref Pawson let them get away with it too, he was utter shit too!!! 

Burnley play a very effective direct style of football, into the channels, playing off the front men, and making every bit of possession count. Constantly punch above their weight in this division and Dyche deserves every bit of credit for that.

I'm not saying this as a wind up, but I love teams doing it. It's part of the game. Even when City are on the receiving end of it, I have a wry smile.

But I love being in front and bossing the game. Because, that's what it is - a firm.of bossing.

Hiwever, I actually think Burnley can play at times. The direct game is only part of their schtick.

The season is only 3 weeks old, but I am feeling quite optimistic about it! Wolvesare showing what I expected of them - that they don't have a deep enough squad to handle European and Premier League football yet, and are dropping points in the league as a result opening the door for us. Chelsea and Man United have star players, but have clear weaknesses as a team and their positions are there to be taken. I genuinely cannot believe Man U sold Lukaku and let Herrera leave and did not bring in another creative player. Everton losing Gueye was huge and their replacement already injured. Watford reminiscent of us during the Peter Taylor era after losing a big cup match and surprisingly on the slide.

We have yet to play champagne football but have been steady and we've already dodged one potentially big bullet with Soyuncu proving to be more than capable of stepping into the team. The match at the weekend was promising because for once we were the team that played within themselves but nicked the game through their superior quality rather than the other way round. Also compared to possibly any other team in the league I feel like we have the most potential to improve over the course of the season because so many of the players are young and learning their trade.

It can all go to pot very quickly in the Premier League and I'm sure the forum will be in uproar after our first bad result, but it's looking OK so far. :scarf:

Out of the rest of the league the two teams that have surprised me the most have been Arsenal and Brighton. Arsenal are a traditionally big team, but their recruitment I think has been very good and though they don't play with the same swagger as the Wenger era, they seem much more effective, even in their loss to Liverpool. They have a very good shot at top 4. And Brighton have played some nice stuff whenever I've seen them on Match of the Day and you wouldn't think they were the same team that looked so awful last time round.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

The season is only 3 weeks old, but I am feeling quite optimistic about it! Wolvesare showing what I expected of them - that they don't have a deep enough squad to handle European and Premier League football yet, and are dropping points in the league as a result opening the door for us. Chelsea and Man United have star players, but have clear weaknesses as a team and their positions are there to be taken. I genuinely cannot believe Man U sold Lukaku and let Herrera leave and did not bring in another creative player. Everton losing Gueye was huge and their replacement already injured. Watford reminiscent of us during the Peter Taylor era after losing a big cup match and surprisingly on the slide.

We have yet to play champagne football but have been steady and we've already dodged one potentially big bullet with Soyuncu proving to be more than capable of stepping into the team. The match at the weekend was promising because for once we were the team that played within themselves but nicked the game through their superior quality rather than the other way round. Also compared to possibly any other team in the league I feel like we have the most potential to improve over the course of the season because so many of the players are young and learning their trade.

It can all go to pot very quickly in the Premier League and I'm sure the forum will be in uproar after our first bad result, but it's looking OK so far. :scarf:

Out of the rest of the league the two teams that have surprised me the most have been Arsenal and Brighton. Arsenal are a traditionally big team, but their recruitment I think has been very good and though they don't play with the same swagger as the Wenger era, they seem much more effective, even in their loss to Liverpool. They have a very good shot at top 4. And Brighton have played some nice stuff whenever I've seen them on Match of the Day and you wouldn't think they were the same team that looked so awful last time round.

I agree with most but I would be mindful of Chelsea and United. United to me can go either way. If OGS figures out an attacking plan and uses his squad properly United will still be in that top 6 fight but I can also see them finish mid table if they are not careful. Chelsea look like they will finish 5th or 6th because despite their weaknesses they still have quality and their young players aren't that bad. They also will be a lot stronger when Kante and Rudiger both return from injury. 

5 minutes ago, TheHitman™ said:

I agree with most but I would be mindful of Chelsea and United. United to me can go either way. If OGS figures out an attacking plan and uses his squad properly United will still be in that top 6 fight but I can also see them finish mid table if they are not careful. Chelsea look like they will finish 5th or 6th because despite their weaknesses they still have quality and their young players aren't that bad. They also will be a lot stronger when Kante and Rudiger both return from injury. 

Utd's midfield is not good enough and Arsenal's defence isn't either. Chelsea I think might well strike a balance and still get top 4 but I just can't see Arsenal and Utd keeping their obvious weaknesses under wraps. 

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Utd's midfield is not good enough and Arsenal's defence isn't either. Chelsea I think might well strike a balance and still get top 4 but I just can't see Arsenal and Utd keeping their obvious weaknesses under wraps. 

Arsenal to me will finish in the top 4. Their defense is not great but they have enough in attack and midfield to keep them up there and are better than many of the teams in the league. Their loss to Liverpool really showcases Liverpool's ability more than Arsenal's weaknesses. 

United's midfield without Pogba is weaker than most bottom half teams. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheHitman™ said:

Yep on paper they should do better than us. Both literally took some of our best players from us over the years!

But they look much more vulnerable than before, and promisingly have already shown weaknesses and inconsistency. We don't have to be brilliant every week, just being good for most of it can get us a high finish.

Think the Arsenal v Tottenham north London derby will be a classic.

Something like a 4-3/5-4 win for either side or a high-scoring draw, with probably a couple of sending-offs.

Edited by Wymeswold fox
  • Like 1