Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

On 08/10/2019 at 10:03, Aus Fox said:

If that starting X1 for United against Newcastle was Villa, we’d all be saying they’re going down. 

If they are still in a mess in February who would you want in your corner in a relegation dog fight?

Lingaard or Grealish

Mings or Tuanzebe

Rashford or Wesley

Pogba or Mcginn

De gea or Heaton

I used Villa players as an example as I had them as my team to finish bottom at the start of the season. 

If it did come to a dog fight do United have the characters that would be up for a  fight?

That's interesting point, compare those on paper them United players should be the ones you'd choose. However so far this season them players aren't performing compared to the Villa players. For me United probably won't go down, however you can't rule them out becoming the next Leeds or Newcastle... two massive clubs once playing champions league football falling from grace. 

21 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Mourihno linked with Everton, be a good fit I think. Jose has gone through a rough spell over the last few years and probably needs a good job at a club with less expectations but still ambitious. Where I think Mourhino in the past has done best, like what he done FC Porto, Chelsea (first time round) and Inter. He really could build a good force at Everton, but will he manage up north again. He didn't half moan to help about having to travelling up to Manchester week in, week out. 

Everton are a bit like a smaller version of man utd. In terms of their spending.

Spent a fortune but then you look around and think.....Iwobi?? Walcott?? Keane?? Tosun?? Kean?? 

Are these really the players to push you up into that top 4 challenging position?

I dont know about Marco Silva. Seems a very streaky manager..... can get the team firing on all cylinders for a while and then for no explanation theyll be awful for 6 or 7 games.

9 minutes ago, Donk said:

Everton are a bit like a smaller version of man utd. In terms of their spending.

Spent a fortune but then you look around and think.....Iwobi?? Walcott?? Keane?? Tosun?? Kean?? 

Are these really the players to push you up into that top 4 challenging position?

I dont know about Marco Silva. Seems a very streaky manager..... can get the team firing on all cylinders for a while and then for no explanation theyll be awful for 6 or 7 games.

I be interesting to know whose in charge of the signings at Everton? is it actually Silva? Yeah Silva is interesting... the guy comes very quiet and boring. From what I've seen of him in the premier league can't say he's done anything inspiring... other than being relegated with Hull City. They certainly haven't got that much forward since they decided they didn't wanna go with Big Sam. 

Marcelo Biesla would be another name to throw into the ring he'd certainly fire at bit of passion into that Everton dressing room. Bielsa is a coach that needs to be working in the top flight. I tell you what imagine derby day in Liverpool. Bielsa and Klopp on the touchline... now that would be spicy. 

Edited by Leicesterpool

On 08/10/2019 at 10:03, Aus Fox said:

If that starting X1 for United against Newcastle was Villa, we’d all be saying they’re going down. 

If they are still in a mess in February who would you want in your corner in a relegation dog fight?

Lingaard or Grealish

Mings or Tuanzebe

Rashford or Wesley

Pogba or Mcginn

De gea or Heaton

I used Villa players as an example as I had them as my team to finish bottom at the start of the season. 

If it did come to a dog fight do United have the characters that would be up for a  fight?

To be honest, you list the players there and for me every single one of the Man Utd players is either better than the Villa player, or will be better when the two reach their peak.

Yet Man Utd are still poor.

I think too many players get a free lunch. Theyre hiding behind Ole, the Glazers, Mourinho's sacking and other things as an easy excuse for being terrible.

Theyre of course not the Man Utd of old but theyve still got lots of talent in their squad. They somehow manage to take top pros like Sanchez and Fred and make them look like Northampton Town players.

Somewhere along the line theyve blended the wrong characters together or not paid attention to them and maybe the shirt is too heavy for them. No idea with Man Utd where you can fix the issues

9 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I learn something new every day here lol

Most of my knowledge of learned philosophers comes from the Python song.

Quite right, spent most of my formative years following the teaching of Heidegger :ph34r:

12 hours ago, murphy said:

There is a link between football and philosophy.  Wasn't Albert Camus a pro goalkeeper?  And the pope (JPII). 

I could be wrong.

And then there's Socrates of course... 

(edit - Curses.  Beaten to it)

It's true that Camus played in goal for his University, but certainly not for Algeria as the common urban myth often has it. He also liked going to Highbury when he was in England.

Pope John Paul was also a goalie...must be something about the position that gives you the time to contemplate life's uncertainties. On this subject, Kaspar strikes me as a bit of a deep thinker. But I could be wrong...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stoopid said:

It's true that Camus played in goal for his University, but certainly not for Algeria as the common urban myth often has it. He also liked going to Highbury when he was in England.

Pope John Paul was also a goalie...must be something about the position that gives you the time to contemplate life's uncertainties. On this subject, Kaspar strikes me as a bit of a deep thinker. But I could be wrong...

Pope John Paul I heard was great at dealing with crosses, but had very little experience commanding the box!

On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:03, Aus Fox said:

Lingaard or Grealish

Mings or Tuanzebe

Rashford or Wesley

Pogba or Mcginn

De gea or Heaton

Interesting point. At the minute they all look like a bunch of spoilt kids who cant be ar*ed when things aren't going their way.  If this carries on, with them all thinking that they are actually better than they are, they could suddenly find themselves in big trouble. It is obvious to all that it is not a happy camp, but I suspect that the players probably think that they can just turn it on anytime they like (cos they are Man utd) and it will all turn out in the end. But, come the back end of January, if they are still in the same position they might suddenly find that it is not so easy to turn things round with only 8-10 games to go. I bet none of them have ever been in a relegation dog fight and simply do not have the character to dig in and do what it takes to claw their way out of trouble.

That said I do not think they will get relegated, but seriously do think they are going to be a mid table club for the next few seasons. They will not be able to simply buy their way out of it as who is going to go there when they have no European football and obviously have personality issues going on. They are going to have to change their way of doing things, have a massive clear out and start again by building a team rather than simply splashing wad loads of cash on individuals. For that though they need to have a vison and plan of how they want to play and at the minute they certainly don't have either.