Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

9 minutes ago, ian_marshall said:

Feel for all involved in the Gomes incident, awful injury. However, I hope the PL and FA now take note of what's occurred and tighten up on these deliberate fouls which occur in the transitional phase of play and have been encouraged by the likes of Pep and Klopp. I'm afraid to say that a bad injury was always eventually going to happen to someone and the authorities need to clamp down sooner rather than a later as not only are such challenges potentially dangerous but they also go against the spirit of the game by ruining the spectacle of watching teams turnover play quickly. 

Totally agree. So called "professional fouls" or taking one for the team. Never a fan of it, if you are beat let it be and see if the keeper  or another player can make a save/stop and be a hero. 

If you make said foul, red card plus a few extra games. This applies to us, not like we dont make these stupid fouls. I just feel it takes away from the game and can lead to stupid injuries etc.

2 minutes ago, Mickey O'Neil said:

Just seen highlights of Villa v Liverpool game. 

Mane is a fvcking disgrace. The sad thing is, he doesn't have to dive, he's a great footballer. 

Richarlason is equally disgusting but only half the player of Mane. 

Pretty spot on with that assessment.

Edited by Jattdogg

5 minutes ago, adam said:

First time I've seen that watford penalty. Another shocker. What the **** is going on 

I felt it was a foul but the Watford player made a meal of it half a second after realising he’d been caught. 

It's moments like that where you wish players would just bloody play on. 

1 hour ago, ian_marshall said:

Feel for all involved in the Gomes incident, awful injury. However, I hope the PL and FA now take note of what's occurred and tighten up on these deliberate fouls which occur in the transitional phase of play and have been encouraged by the likes of Pep and Klopp. I'm afraid to say that a bad injury was always eventually going to happen to someone and the authorities need to clamp down sooner rather than a later as not only are such challenges potentially dangerous but they also go against the spirit of the game by ruining the spectacle of watching teams turnover play quickly. 

So say Hamza’s fouling Salah, or say Evans earlier today??  Let’s not point the finger at other clubs and managers when we do it just as much... fouls are based on merit of the situation.. there’s no way anyone would have know Gomes would have got his studs stuck in the turf. Physical contacts part and part of the game, sadly the odd serious injury will happen..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

i think this has to be in the top 5 worst refereeing performance in any game, of any sport, i’ve ever seen 

Absolutely shambolic stuff. In a season of pathetic officiating (convinced it gets worse every year) this game probably ranked right at number one that I've seen.

An unbelievable level of ineptness.

VAR had a mare this weekend, but VAR isn't the problem, it's how it's being used. It still seems to be wildly inconsistent and in regards to the Alli handball the video ref making up his own rules saying it was not given because of the contact with the other player.

Happened with the son sending off too but beleive we can forgive mistakes by the on field ref who likely got caught up in the moment but that's where VAR, should be used to confirm it's only a yellow. 

We really can learn alot from rugby who's use of the tmo really does benefit the game. As keown said last night, hearing the discussion between the ref and video ref and understanding how and why decisions were made will be a huge step forward and I have no idea why this wasn't already done. 

This may seem harsh but I have little sympathy for son, sure he didn't mean to cause injury but spurs are such a dirty team and everytime I see them they seem to be flying into tackles but somehow getting away with it. They seem to have this streak in them as a team. 

As for clamping down on these sort of tackles, I can't see that happening and actually think it's diving that needs much harsher retrospective action. Son mane and Richardson all throwing themselves to the floor yesterday and making the job of the ref alot harder. As we saw against Liverpool, throwing yourself to the floor can still get the desired outcome so until we remember football is a contact sport and really clamp down on throwing yourself to the floor after the smallest touch, they are gonna keep doing it and keep getting away with it.

• Like 3

I’d love there to be 5/6 well trained individuals, who do the VAR for all games.

All we want is consistency, and refs who are confident in overturning an on field decision.

We then need an ‘umpires call’ where there is not enough evidence, where we stick with the original decision.

All of this needs to be made clear to people in the stands and watching on TV. Let us hear the conversations between referees and VAR.

8 hours ago, StanSP said:

None of our goals in October selected for MOTD2's goal of the month comp!

Thought Perez's 2nd and Maddison's free-kick against Southampton might have been good enough.

Perez's third I thought was a guarantee. Pretty much the same as the Silva one that's on there except he puts in some fantastic chest control before the volley. 

Edited by ARTY_FOX

9 hours ago, StanSP said:

None of our goals in October selected for MOTD2's goal of the month comp!

Thought Perez's 2nd and Maddison's free-kick against Southampton might have been good enough.

Couldn't understand how Longstaff, Traoré or even Martial made it to the final selection.

Longstaff's shot was from outside the box, alright. But Traoré? Raul Jimenez did all the work! lol

5 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Couldn't understand how Longstaff, Traoré or even Martial made it to the final selection.

Longstaff's shot was from outside the box, alright. But Traoré? Raul Jimenez did all the work! lol

The build to the Traore goal was beautiful. Raul Jimenez with some amazing footwork. I would have it in as a contender.

I agree with the Longstaff goal though. Decent but not great.

Edited by Koke

7 hours ago, Shram said:

So say Hamza’s fouling Salah, or say Evans earlier today??  Let’s not point the finger at other clubs and managers when we do it just as much... fouls are based on merit of the situation.. there’s no way anyone would have know Gomes would have got his studs stuck in the turf. Physical contacts part and part of the game, sadly the odd serious injury will happen..

I think you've misunderstood my post. I'm not for one second suggesting that we don't do it ourselves but it doesn't make it right, and sooner or later it will lead to a serious injury as we've seen with Gomes. 

The point I was making is that player's who play/have played under the likes of Pep and Klopp openly talk about being instructed by the coach to commit a foul as quickly as possible to prevent momentum building when an opponent turns over play. I'm not saying we don't don't do this, but it has certainly been popularised amongst PL teams by the above coaches and when you watch their teams play I'd argue they do this more than most. 

Yes, the sport is a contact sport but these types of fouls (and subsequent contact) are unnecessary and will pose an injury risk vs. no foul. Take the incident yesterday - Son only makes contact because he's trying to stop the momentum. Gomes is far from the goal and Aurier is covering, there is absolutely no need to make contact other than to commit a professional foul. Without the initial contact Gomes plays the full 90 minutes and walks off the pitch regardless of whether the injury was a freak incident or not.

Such fouls disrupt the natural flow of game which ruins the spectacle for the watching fan. You hear player's say that one of the reasons why they do it is because often the ref will award a free kick only and won't issue a card simply because the foul is so far up the pitch whereas if it was closer to goal they'd probably get a card. More can be done to discourage this behaviour which would ultimately make it a more exciting and better game to watch. 

Edited by ian_marshall

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

55 minutes ago, Koke said:

The build to the Traore goal was beautiful. Raul Jimenez with some amazing footwork. I would have it in as a contender.

I agree with the Longstaff goal though. Decent but not great.

Nah I think all of those are warranted. Something good about all of them. 

As mentioned Jimenez was quality for Traore's goal. Newcastle scored from a Man Utd corner. They countered rapidly and several other teams would get praise for it if they did it. Martial's was good mainly because of the good assist. Don't mind those goals being included because sometimes it's not all about the goal but the build up or assist too. 

My annoyance is that they only chose 7 goals. In the past I'm sure they've had 8 or 9? So keep the above goals in as no need to replace them. Just add at least one in from ours?! 

35 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Sky: we can't show this replay because it's too gruesome. 

Everyone at my work today: did you see the picture of the bone sticking out of gomes's foot yet?! 

:unsure:

On a second look its Son's tackle which did it.

Whilst it looked innocuous he was trying to give one back for the elbow. Obviously didnt mean that though.

10 hours ago, Mickey O'Neil said:

I felt it was a foul but the Watford player made a meal of it half a second after realising he’d been caught. 

It's moments like that where you wish players would just bloody play on. 

That's why it's not a penalty for me, it didnt impede him in anyway. Same as albrighton on Manè. They did it to themselves. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

On a second look its Son's tackle which did it.

Whilst it looked innocuous he was trying to give one back for the elbow. Obviously didnt mean that though.

It's really not. There's a picture that I obviously won't share that show that impact between Aurier and Gomes. 

I agree Son was trying to get back at Gomes for the elbow, he clearly accelerates when he sees Gomes get the ball, and the trip was naughty, and yes the trip got the ball rolling on the whole sequence of events, but it wasn't the contact from Son that injured Gomes. 

57 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Everyone at my work today: did you see the picture of the bone sticking out of gomes's foot yet?! 

Half the back pages are showing it too.

6 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

It's really not. There's a picture that I obviously won't share that show that impact between Aurier and Gomes. 

I agree Son was trying to get back at Gomes for the elbow, he clearly accelerates when he sees Gomes get the ball, and the trip was naughty, and yes the trip got the ball rolling on the whole sequence of events, but it wasn't the contact from Son that injured Gomes. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/Goal_India/status/1191184820681854976

Its caught there.

Edited by Abrasive fox

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

I haven't seen it, and don't think I want to. I have obviously seen a fair few injuries over the years, but never seen players react quite like they did yesterday. 

Just now, rachhere said:

I haven't seen it, and don't think I want to. I have obviously seen a fair few injuries over the years, but never seen players react quite like they did yesterday. 

The David Busst reaction was the worst I ever saw. I think Peter Schmeichel threw up and it took 10 minutes to clear up the blood from what I've read.

• Like 1