Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

Why are people giving the title to Liverpool so early in the season already? Theres still 26 (TWENTY SIX) games to play. That's 26 games (and 78 points) to win, draw or lose. Many things can happen to them. Injuries, Champions League distractions, player /manager meltdowns, or the usual second part of the season slip. This season is far from over.

• Like 1

Just now, Chester Dontlie said:

Why are people giving the title to Liverpool so early in the season already? Theres still 26 (TWENTY SIX) games to play. That's 26 games (and 78 points) to win, draw or lose. Many things can happen to them. Injuries, Champions League distractions, player /manager meltdowns, or the usual second part of the season slip. This season is far from over.

It is far from over, you're right, and a lot can happen. But I would say the fact they've lost like one game over nearly two season in the league puts them in a very strong position. They drew too many last year and let Man City back in, and maybe they will this year, but Man City don't look strong enough to take advantage. Maybe ourselves or Chelsea will step up, we'll have to see, but right now they are firm favourites.

44 minutes ago, les-tah said:

Im not exaggerating here but a 5 month injury to both Salah and Mane at the same time could hand us the title :o

An injury or two to any of the top 6 in key positions can cause a team to slide. Man City picked up injuries in the 2 positions they aren't stacked in and they're finding it tough. 

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Liverpool unfortunately have Palace, Brighton, Everton, Bournemouth and Watford before they play us, can see their lead being over 10pts by then.

1 minute ago, Chester Dontlie said:

Thought I'd quote together. They've still got to go to Qatar shortly before playing us. I do wonder what kind of squad Klopp will take to Qatar and which will play against Villa in the CWC. 

The reason I've given it to Liverpool now, sadly, is that just look so good. 9 point gap by November is nothing to be sniffed at. They are such a well oiled machine that I can't see them surrendering such a big lead this time around. They're used to the pressure now given the experience the players are gaining - last season would have considerably helped. Whether it's ourselves, Chelsea or Man City that go on a great run as well, imagining where Liverpool will drop so many points is hard to see right now. 

And I hate it as I'd rather they never win a league in my lifetime lol

It'd just be so unbearable given how some of their fans can be. But think you have to give credit where it's due. They've got an incredible balance to their squad and Klopp, as irritatingly dislikeable as he has become, has built a great team there. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Thought I'd quote together. They've still got to go to Qatar shortly before playing us. I do wonder what kind of squad Klopp will take to Qatar and which will play against Villa in the CWC. 

The reason I've given it to Liverpool now, sadly, is that just look so good. 9 point gap by November is nothing to be sniffed at. They are such a well oiled machine that I can't see them surrendering such a big lead this time around. They're used to the pressure now given the experience the players are gaining - last season would have considerably helped. Whether it's ourselves, Chelsea or Man City that go on a great run as well, imagining where Liverpool will drop so many points is hard to see right now. 

And I hate it as I'd rather they never win a league in my lifetime lol

It'd just be so unbearable given how some of their fans can be. But think you have to give credit where it's due. They've got an incredible balance to their squad and Klopp, as irritatingly dislikeable as he has become, has built a great team there. 

8 points :thumbup:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Koke said:

They're a bit too one dimensional for me. Not enough creativity which results in poor results against terrible teams. They cease possession and cease control of the midfield to teams who dont deserve it. 

I know Wolves fans dont wanna hear this but if they want to go up another level then Nuno has to be moved on. He's done amazing for the club but his tactics sometimes are too negative. 

Yeah, they are a really difficult team to play against if you worry about how to stop what they're good at. I think defensively they are good but i'd be a bit bored of the lack of flexibility in their system, but it's doing a job and they are a force. Let's not forget although they are bankrolled by wealthy owners it's not easy to quickly and repeatedly put together squads when you reach the Prem. Every new signing is a lottery in to whether they'll fit in when you're trying to fast track the progression. I think they were fairly shrewd not to go and blow £100m+ this summer and bring in 6 new players to cope with Europe. It might have helped them juggle all the games but it also could have diluted the strong efficiency and game plan that this squad of theirs executes. Another top 7 finish this season and a decent go in the Europa and it's a remarkable achievement.

• Like 2

Guest BlueBrett

Refereeing decisions even out over the course of a season right? Sure I heard that somewhere.

If that's the case we have nothing to worry about because they surely owe at least 8 points to the gods of balance.

1 hour ago, Chester Dontlie said:

they are miles ahead in the grand scheme of things. they have also already played all their "tough games" and have about 10 games in a row where they will win without even trying. it's over and done with. 

They should've drew with us but for a slightly dodgy VAR decision, which would have brought their lead down to 5 points. They drew with a poor United side, almost dropped points against Villa, and needed a penalty to beat a poor Spurs side at home, as well as close matches against Sheffield United and Chelsea. They're impressive, but not infallible.

They're a very very good side and they're definitely deserving of their place at the top of the table, but they've had a lot of fortunate decisions go their way and they've not really blown anyone out the water yet. With the density of their fixture list there is every chance that they struggle to maintain the level of dominance they've had so far throughout the next 26 games.

Do I think they'll win the league? Yes. It's a huge gap at this stage of the season and they're a good enough side to see it out, even if they do have a blip. Do I think it's a given? Not at all. I can see them dropping points against Palace next up, in fact, and there are 3 teams who are all capable of putting on a good run of form and closing that gap at any opportunity. Given that the expectations on us and Chelsea will be Zilch for this season (and the gap to 5th means little pressure from behind), whereas Liverpool will be under immense pressure come the run in, anything could happen.

• Like 1

I'm amazed that anyone can be daft enough to say with certainty 'it's done because they'll win their next 10 games' or some such. I just think people like making noise and trying to control context. 

It just doesn't work like that, Klopp knows it, BR knows it, and wheels can quickly fall off. They MIGHT win their next 10, but I'd not put money on it. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, 420Hashish said:

I should've reworded that better.

Do you think OGS will be there on the final day of the season?lol

May be - now they have beaten the mighty Brighton.

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'm amazed that anyone can be daft enough to say with certainty 'it's done because they'll win their next 10 games' or some such. I just think people like making noise and trying to control context. 

It just doesn't work like that, Klopp knows it, BR knows it, and wheels can quickly fall off. They MIGHT win their next 10, but I'd not put money on it. 

They are not Celtic. And this is not the Scottish Premier League. Not going for the 10 in a row.

Sometimes people are a bit nutty and forget just how competitive this league is, Top to bottom. Every week.

Edited by SO1

6 minutes ago, SO1 said:

They are not Celtic. And this is not the Scottish Premier League. Not going for the 10 in a row.

Sometimes people are a bit nutty and forget just how competitive this league is, Top to bottom. Every week.

liverpool have dropped two points since march, whilst also winning the european cup and the super cup. 

they have won 20 out of their last 21 league games and drew the other 0-0. they have lost 1 of their last 50 premier league games. they have dropped 2 points at home in over a year.

i'm not sure if people are just not aware of these results which is why i'm repeating them, or if people just can't quite grasp how good they are? they literally won 17 league games in a row this year but it's "nutty" to say i could see them winning 10 in a row? they are so, so good and i get nobody wants to admit it, i'd also rather none of this was happening but it is, so there's no point pretending they aren't better than everyone else. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

Dec could be massive for all clubs in the top 3 or 4. We play 2 of those, what if we win them both, also Liverpool have to travel to Japan and back, not ideal.

Who knows liverpool could be a dozen or so points clear, they could also be only 3-5 points ahead of us, plenty of twists to come yet. Liverpool dont look as good as last season.

1 hour ago, ScouseFox said:

liverpool have dropped two points since march, whilst also winning the european cup and the super cup. 

they have won 20 out of their last 21 league games and drew the other 0-0. they have lost 1 of their last 50 premier league games. they have dropped 2 points at home in over a year.

i'm not sure if people are just not aware of these results which is why i'm repeating them, or if people just can't quite grasp how good they are? they literally won 17 league games in a row this year but it's "nutty" to say i could see them winning 10 in a row? they are so, so good and i get nobody wants to admit it, i'd also rather none of this was happening but it is, so there's no point pretending they aren't better than everyone else. 

I don't disagree with you that they are kicking ass right NOW. Nothing is guaranteed to last forever. I've seen some crazy things happen in this league :whistle:.

Not ready to concede the league just yet.

Sorry:) but I think it's a bit nutty to concede with most of the season left to play.

Edited by SO1

4 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Didn't quite realise just how badly West Ham are doing at the moment, just had a good chuckle at their expense.

They're in a bit of a rut, but the tightness of the table from fifth to seventeenth is definitely making them appear to be doing far worse than they are.

11 minutes ago, Koke said:

True. Emery just doesn't have the defenders for it.

Lacazette is practically playing left wing marking Ricardo. At the Vardy goal Lacazette is near his own penalty box. 

I've never in my life seen an Arsenal side play like that against us.

I love this video. Its a good example of what sideways and backwards passes are doing. "Not every side pass is a negative pass" or words to that affect is what Rodgers said when he joined us. Sometimes we as fans moan because we can't see/understand why theyre doing what they're doing. One of the things that's changed under Rodgers is that we move the ball with intensity so that when we create these gaps we can capitalise on them. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Xen said:

They should've drew with us but for a slightly dodgy VAR decision, which would have brought their lead down to 5 points. They drew with a poor United side, almost dropped points against Villa, and needed a penalty to beat a poor Spurs side at home, as well as close matches against Sheffield United and Chelsea. They're impressive, but not infallible.

They're a very very good side and they're definitely deserving of their place at the top of the table, but they've had a lot of fortunate decisions go their way and they've not really blown anyone out the water yet. With the density of their fixture list there is every chance that they struggle to maintain the level of dominance they've had so far throughout the next 26 games.

Do I think they'll win the league? Yes. It's a huge gap at this stage of the season and they're a good enough side to see it out, even if they do have a blip. Do I think it's a given? Not at all. I can see them dropping points against Palace next up, in fact, and there are 3 teams who are all capable of putting on a good run of form and closing that gap at any opportunity. Given that the expectations on us and Chelsea will be Zilch for this season (and the gap to 5th means little pressure from behind), whereas Liverpool will be under immense pressure come the run in, anything could happen.

MU raised their game against them as usual. Liverpool seem better at handling the pressure than last season and got wins they'd never have last season, Villa being a prime example. Maybe the CL win gave them the confidence they didn't have last year?

The real problem is the number of games they have to play outside the league and they have no real alternative for Salah and Mané should they get injured. IMO, if the gap tightens and Klopp is forced to choose between the PL and the rest, he'll go all out for the former. I'm already suspecting that it became second on the list, if I consider their results in the group phase.

6 hours ago, mozartfox said:

May be - now they have beaten the mighty Brighton.

They are actually playing a lot better right now and will make the top 6 at least in my opinion. Pour scorn on their win over Brighton if you like but let's see how we get on against them next time out.

2 hours ago, Koke said:

True. Emery just doesn't have the defenders for it.

Lacazette is practically playing left wing marking Ricardo. At the Vardy goal Lacazette is near his own penalty box. 

I've never in my life seen an Arsenal side play like that against us.

2 hours ago, Billy Big Balls said:

I love this video. Its a good example of what sideways and backwards passes are doing. "Not every side pass is a negative pass" or words to that affect is what Rodgers said when he joined us. Sometimes we as fans moan because we can't see/understand why theyre doing what they're doing. One of the things that's changed under Rodgers is that we move the ball with intensity so that when we create these gaps we can capitalise on them. 

The other thing I love is that we made it look SO simple.

• Like 1