Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

12 hours ago, Koke said:

5 seasons at Spurs and each season has been an improvement on the previous, until now. It's not his fault there are several key players out of contract and thus look unmotivated. Poch deserves a chance to rectify this situation and rebuild the squad. 

Poch is a brilliant coach and I doubt Spurs will get anyone better.

Levy is the main reason Poch is struggling !! Players leaving & not enough replacements.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tetly said:

Never a racist comment just banter between two friends. Ridiculous decision 

Yes, this is the touchiest of subjects, but I actually find it disturbing and somewhat sinister that the football authorities are all too happy to sacrifice Bernardo Silva - and his public reputation - on the altar of political correctness when anyone in their right mind can see that he is not racist and neither was his tweet.

It’s the scattergun victimisation and condemnation of innocents in trivial non-events like this that hampers, rather than helps, the fight against racism and the battle for true equality. But sadly many of those charged with pursuing that worthy cause are too blinkered or bloody-minded to see it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xen said:

Follow up from my earlier post questioning the logic behind that 'fixture difficulty' table, here's what I calculated from the current standings. I've made four different versions, #1 and #3 are based on the position/points from the PL table as it stands. Versions #2 and #4 are weighted from the current home/away tables - i.e. a home match against Spurs would add 18 to your total for the 'position' ranking, whereas playing them away would only add 7 (before averaging). A rank of 1 means you have the toughest fixtures as per that metric.

image.png.ea7336efc6082f6b5c0cccb8cb723f90.png 

Interesting to note that whilst we've had the toughest fixtures when looking at the overall table, on a H/A basis we've actually been reasonably fortunate. Now, that's partly self-fulfilling with a small sample size of 6 games each as the teams we've played (and beat) naturally score less, missing out on 16% of available H or A pts. It's also a bit skewed by the fact that the current top 4 have a clear points gap on the 'away' table, and we've played none of them so far. Playing Liverpool at home for instance would add +16 to that part of the calculation, but any other team would - on average - only net you +6.5pts, which is a HUGE swing in that final list.

Essentially, the 'overall' columns are the two which are most useful.

The spread of positions/points (rather than the associated rank) is also of interest as it shows that its quite tight between quite a few teams (although looking at the league table will tell you that) so the rankings can be taken with a bit of a pinch of salt. The spread will be even more pronounced when looking at the remaining fixtures for the season for the reasons I mentioned in my last post. Speaking of remaining fixtures, I'll try and look at those (plus next 5 fixtures) separately in future - after all its the international break and there's not much better going on - and see if there are any conclusions to be drawn from that.

It takes a fair amount of complication to make me feel stupid.

congration.JPG.c599c8b4405e653fd595eacb96f71e14.JPG

• Haha 1

What with Sterling losing his brain and Bernardo Silva’s recent behavior, I have a sneaky feeling Pep is losing the plot a little this season. Make no bones about it. When he approached the officials at the end of the Liverpool game and stated ‘he wasn’t being sarcastic’, that’s utter bollox. He was angry....you could see the sneer all over his face.

Often this level of annoyance can filter down to the players unless the manager is really careful.

It also makes me wonder whether, knowing the on-field spat that Sterling had with Gomez, Guardiola had had a quiet word with Sterling before he set off for England duty. A kind of ‘just avoid him when you’re there’ type chat? If he didn’t have that conversation, that’s bad management imo.

We have such a chance this season to finish 2nd. Liverpool I think will romp it, but Man City aren’t right at the moment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

What with Sterling losing his brain and Bernardo Silva’s recent behavior, I have a sneaky feeling Pep is losing the plot a little this season. Make no bones about it. When he approached the officials at the end of the Liverpool game and stated ‘he wasn’t being sarcastic’, that’s utter bollox. He was angry....you could see the sneer all over his face.

Often this level of annoyance can filter down to the players unless the manager is really careful.

It also makes me wonder whether, knowing the on-field spat that Sterling had with Gomez, Guardiola had had a quiet word with Sterling before he set off for England duty. A kind of ‘just avoid him when you’re there’ type chat? If he didn’t have that conversation, that’s bad management imo.

We have such a chance this season to finish 2nd. Liverpool I think will romp it, but Man City aren’t right at the moment.

I agree, I am also very confident this will be his last season at Man City, not sure where he’ll go, but he’ll jump ship before things get difficult.

• Like 1

The Silva thing is a joke. John Barnes was on 5Live yesterday, saying we need to get away from the negative stereotype of dark skin and big lips. If you look like something, you look like something. Had the image been used for someone like Kyle Walker, who has much lighter skin, then there might be a point about racism, but it wasn't. 

If Silva has posted a picture of Kevin De Bruyne and Sherman from American Pie, nobody would be saying he was discriminating against gingers, he was just posting a picture because they lookalike.

6 hours ago, Col city fan said:

In hindsight that’s a good point and I totally agree but after a game like that, with the international turnaround so quick after I doubt that was Pep’s priority. In response to his behaviour, you see it time after time after time in the premier league. Normal, sane managers placed under horrendous volumes of pressure til they eventually crack and do things out of character. I’m not saying Guardiola is cracking as such but he did totally lose his cool on Sunday which is very unlike him. Must be such an intense job. It’s what I think must’ve happened to Pearson in our survival year, under so much pressure which led him to doing daft things he wouldn’t normally have done!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Xen said:

Follow up from my earlier post questioning the logic behind that 'fixture difficulty' table, here's what I calculated from the current standings. I've made four different versions, #1 and #3 are based on the position/points from the PL table as it stands. Versions #2 and #4 are weighted from the current home/away tables - i.e. a home match against Spurs would add 18 to your total for the 'position' ranking, whereas playing them away would only add 7 (before averaging). A rank of 1 means you have the toughest fixtures as per that metric.

image.png.ea7336efc6082f6b5c0cccb8cb723f90.png 

Interesting to note that whilst we've had the toughest fixtures when looking at the overall table, on a H/A basis we've actually been reasonably fortunate. Now, that's partly self-fulfilling with a small sample size of 6 games each as the teams we've played (and beat) naturally score less, missing out on 16% of available H or A pts. It's also a bit skewed by the fact that the current top 4 have a clear points gap on the 'away' table, and we've played none of them so far. Playing Liverpool at home for instance would add +16 to that part of the calculation, but any other team would - on average - only net you +6.5pts, which is a HUGE swing in that final list.

Essentially, the 'overall' columns are the two which are most useful.

The spread of positions/points (rather than the associated rank) is also of interest as it shows that its quite tight between quite a few teams (although looking at the league table will tell you that) so the rankings can be taken with a bit of a pinch of salt. The spread will be even more pronounced when looking at the remaining fixtures for the season for the reasons I mentioned in my last post. Speaking of remaining fixtures, I'll try and look at those (plus next 5 fixtures) separately in future - after all its the international break and there's not much better going on - and see if there are any conclusions to be drawn from that.

Sometimes I think I spend far too much time and too many mental/emotional resources thinking about football - then I see something like this and realise I'm a bit of a lightweight.

Not sure whether to applaud you Xen, or suggest you seek help...

On the whole though, I have to admit that's pretty impressive!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Sometimes I think I spend far too much time and too many mental/emotional resources thinking about football - then I see something like this and realise I'm a bit of a lightweight.

Not sure whether to applaud you Xen, or suggest you seek help...

On the whole though, I have to admit that's pretty impressive!

It's honestly not that bad haha! Couple of simple lookups and formulas in the right place and it all comes together quite nicely. Usually the difficult bit is getting the data together, but as this is all from the PL table it was super easy to source in a decent format. This sort of stuff is practically my day job (only that is much less interesting) and I did most of this whilst at work, anyway... :ph34r:

I've gone waaaay further down the rabbit-hole than this, before. I remember in our Championship winning season going through every fixture in the division one-by-one to create an alternative "Penalties Don't Count" table as we kept getting criticised because so many of our goals were penalties (turns out we would've won the league comfortably, even without spot-kicks :thumbup:). Never again.

xG is still BS though. :ph34r: 

• Like 3

Disgusting (but unsurprising) news:

Manchester City will not be banned from European competition when the decision on the club’s highly contentious Financial Fair Play case is announced next month.

Many in the game have been expecting City to be barred from Europe next season after a series of revelations about their finances were published by German magazine Der Spiegel last year but The Athletic understands the club will only receive a fine.

The decision by the adjudicatory chamber of UEFA’s Club Financial Control Board will almost certainly lead to calls for UEFA to admit the FFP system, which was first agreed in 2009, is finished in its current guise.

It has simply become impossible to police, but some clubs may try to appeal against the expected decision for being too lenient.

more  https://theathletic.com/1377968/2019/11/14/exclusive-manchester-city-set-to-avoid-champions-league-ban/

... or in your morning paper I imagine.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KingsX said:

Manchester City will not be banned from European competition when the decision on the club’s highly contentious Financial Fair Play case is announced next month.

Many in the game have been expecting City to be barred from Europe next season after a series of revelations about their finances were published by German magazine Der Spiegel last year but The Athletic understands the club will only receive a fine.

The decision by the adjudicatory chamber of UEFA’s Club Financial Control Board will almost certainly lead to calls for UEFA to admit the FFP system, which was first agreed in 2009, is finished in its current guise.

It has simply become impossible to police, but some clubs may try to appeal against the expected decision for being too lenient.

more  https://theathletic.com/1377968/2019/11/14/exclusive-manchester-city-set-to-avoid-champions-league-ban/

Could yo imagine if that was us or Wolves with the same dodgy dealings? We’d be banned for at least a season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KingsX said:

What's even the point of FFP anymore? The big teams break FFP and just get a fine which they can pay off easily. It's your smaller teams that get done over.

We need punishments like rugby, Saracens got properly hit for breaking the salary cap.  

• Like 1