Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

10 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

genuinely couldn't give the slightest of shits about that. the difference between finishing ahead of man city or behind man city will be a few million quid that we will probably waste. 

the difference between finishing ahead of wolves or behind wolves (or spurs, or united etc) will define our whole season's achievements and possibly the future of this club when you think of players and possibly the manager leaving if we don't get a top 4 finish. 

Agreed, all I care about at the minute is a top four finish. If and when that is cemented then I don't mind looking ahead of us but it's only the cherry on the top stuff whereas top four is the cake. Unbelievable how many people who are coming up with such guff that it only matters what we do and cheering Wolves on to beat top four certainties Man City. 

I'd much rather finishing 4th with 62pts than 5th with 72pts. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Common sense and simple maths? How many cans have you had over the festive period?? We’re nine points clear.... what evidence have you seen of us throwing that away. I can’t actually believe that this debate is going on.... so if we go by your logic and so called common sense, you are suggesting that we’re going to go on a raging losing spree and throw away nine points? Something we haven’t done all season? We’ve had a wobble against the two best teams on the division, had City not have lost a man it could have been different but that’s that. Outside of Man City and Liverpool were the best team in the league when on form. We will finish in the top four and probably none points clear of Wolves. Stop searching for any negative you can....

We had a 14pt lead a fortnight a go and now you're saying we can't let a 9pt lead slip.

Chelsea had the same points as us about a month a go and now there CL spot is under serious pressure.

it's naive in the extreme to think we're home and hosed and Wolves aren't capable of overtaking us. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Wolves winning is a fantastic result for us.

First off they’re a decent side, who are currently nine points behind us, if you’re worried about wolves catching us then you’re willing to accept we will throw away a nine point lead..... if that was to happen we wouldn’t deserve a place in the top four.

It’s a physiological boost for us, can you imagine how those players would feel going into tomorrow having lost to both City and Liverpool and slipping down to third? As it goes we haven’t, and we’re still a point clear, our team talk tomorrow is done, dust yourselves down go out there and restore the gap between us and them.

It is a great result, and cheers to our neighbours for doing us a favour, now stop being a bunch of ostriches, pull your heads out of the sand and cheer us on tomorrow to batter West Ham.

COME ON YOU BLUE BASTARDS! 

Irrelevant to me if we finish 2nd or 4th but dropping down to 5th would be a disaster. A couple of weeks ago we were 14 points clear of 5th....now it's 9....by the end of the season if Wolves are above us by 2 points.....is this still a good result?

• Like 2

When Psg have dominated the league its interesting to note how close the rest of the league has become recently. Partly because its hard for the traiditional big clubs to stay sharp because they have no chance of winning the league.

Liverpool have knocked the stuffing out of the league, like a tumbling pack of cards.

30 minutes ago, oxtonfox said:

Wolves could beat Liverpool; six points off the teams we get mullered by. They’ve taken six points of City and they have a chance with Liverpool in my view. Especially as Liverpool have all but won the league now. Wolves problem is with the weaker teams.

Apart from beating Man City twice, Wolves' only other wins have been against Norwich, Bournemouth, West Ham, Villa and Watford ie 5 of the bottom 6.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rigga said:

Man City will finish 2nd...we need them on our side and help beat teams in 5/6th position etc.. Chelsea looked comfy 4 games ago... now look at them

Manchester City are not invincible of course they are a good team but they are on par with us right now. The title race is firmly over for both us and them.

The league is poor this year and in general has been for a few years now.

It's a good thing though, it means it's more competitive and more 'upsets' are happening - Are they really upsets anymore? You half expect them and as I say it's simply more competitive.

The gap between the lower table/mid table teams and the 'top' teams is getting closer - whether that be the 'lesser' teams getting stronger and the 'top' teams falling apart - I think it's abit of both but i've said ever since we won the league the league is going through a transitional period where the 'top' teams are losing their way abit, which i'm loving and long may it continue.

I don't care how good people say Liverpool have been - Many of their games i've watched they've been average but they find ways to win (Don't get me wrong, a sign of a good team, we've been saying it about ourselves so to deny that when talking about Liverpool is pure denial, but I'm not going to let that blind me or not have the opinion alot of the time they've been average).

Whilst I think they'd be top even if the league were stronger, as it was when we won the league, it was because the league was poor, i'm not denying that,no-one else stepped up though and we still had to do what we did, no-one can take that away from us, but I maintain similar about why Liverpool are 'running away with it' and their points gap looks so dominant, likewise in reality it's the reason we're 2nd aswell, Even Man City are not the standards they expect or have set themselves.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Matt said:

It's a good thing though, it means it's more competitive and more 'upsets' are happening - Are they really upsets anymore? You half expect them and as I say it's simply more competitive.

The gap between the lower table/mid table teams and the 'top' teams is getting closer - whether that be the 'lesser' teams getting stronger and the 'top' teams falling apart - I think it's abit of both but i've said ever since we won the league the league is going through a transitional period where the 'top' teams are losing their way abit.

I don't care how good people say Liverpool have been - Many of their games i've watched they've been average but they find ways to win (Don't get me wrong, a sign of a good team, we've been saying it about ourselves so to deny that when talking about Liverpool is pure denial, but I'm not going to let that blind me or not have the opinion alot of the time they've been average).

Whilst I think they'd be top even if the league were stronger, as it was when we won the league, I'm not denying that, we won it because the league was poor, no-one else stepped up though and we still had to do what we did, no-one can take that away from us, but I maintain similar about why Liverpool are 'running away with it' and their points gap looks so dominant, likewise in reality it's the reason we're 2nd aswell, Even Man City are not the standards they expect or have set themselves.

Liverpool won the Champions League last season, they are a good team cannot knock them same as Manchester City as well, the fact we are wedged in between those teams is a testament to the progress we have made since Rodgers has come in. I think the league is still competitive as it has been maybe the quality has dropped a bit over the years. But it’s still imo the most competitive and best quality league in Europe.

17 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Really think Wolves might finish in the top 4.

I stand by this.

We trump them big time on beating 'the rest' (but they've gotten better at this you've got to say) but their approach against the top teams is the best of basically anybody in the league, and ours is not far off the worst. They worry me a bit.

Saying that, I'd absolutely be in favour of them coming 4th and us 3rd. Two non 'big 6' teams making the top 4 would be fantastic.

• Like 3

We really need to sort our woes out last 3 games we’ve been really under Par many say our bubbles burst or we’ve been found out, whatever the problem is Brendan needs to sort it out asafp as if we drop more points we risk losing our top 3-4 status after such an amazing season if we finish below Wolves who seem to have picked up their pace it’ll be a disaster after we’ve done so well it’ll be a shame to miss out on a CL spot !

But I’m sure we’ll be getting back to winning ways against West Ham Man City face a Sheffield team who on their day can cause a few problems to their opposition, we’ve got a pretty decent run in now where I believe we can get maximum points out of West Ham Newcastle Southampton Burnley West Ham again and I’m sure we can get something out of Chelsea too ?

Let’s hope the lads get back to winning again sort out  their performances keep up with the top Spots !

So many people on here missing the point.......I've never concerned myself with Man City or Liverpool's results to see if they've won or lost I always look at Spurs/Wolves/Man U and Sheff Utd and pray they've dropped points....always have and always will......I've never quite believed that we are as great as people have made out.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tickler28 said:

So many people on here missing the point.......I've never concerned myself with Man City or Liverpool's results to see if they've won or lost I always look at Spurs/Wolves/Man U and Sheff Utd and pray they've dropped points....always have and always will......I've never quite believed that we are as great as people have made out.

Well believe it tbh we are a great team, far better than the likes of Chelsea/ Spurs / Wolves / Arsenal and Manchester United we have shown that this season thus far

8 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I stand by this.

We trump them big time on beating 'the rest' (but they've gotten better at this you've got to say) but their approach against the top teams is the best of basically anybody in the league, and ours is not far off the worst. They worry me a bit.

Saying that, I'd absolutely be in favour of them coming 4th and us 3rd. Two non 'big 6' teams making the top 4 would be fantastic.

It is strange how under Puel, hell even Shakespeare it was the opposite way round, dropping points left right and centre against Burnley and hull but then going on and beating Man City and Chelsea 

15 minutes ago, Matt said:

The gap between the lower table/mid table teams and the 'top' teams is getting closer - whether that be the 'lesser' teams getting stronger and the 'top' teams falling apart - I think it's abit of both but i've said ever since we won the league the league is going through a transitional period where the 'top' teams are losing their way abit, which i'm loving and long may it continue.

Whilst I think they'd be top even if the league were stronger, as it was when we won the league, it was because the league was poor, i'm not denying that,no-one else stepped up though and we still had to do what we did, no-one can take that away from us, but I maintain similar about why Liverpool are 'running away with it' and their points gap looks so dominant, likewise in reality it's the reason we're 2nd aswell, Even Man City are not the standards they expect or have set themselves.

There is no way they will not win the league, they are not just the best team, but everything is going their way, penalty decisions, poor refereeing, some of the tackles they did and got away with were criminal and if they had a penalty why did we not get one? When the luck is with you you have to take advantage of it, to a certain degree you make your own luck. We have not been at our best for the last three games, lets hope we snap out of it on Saturday.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Well believe it tbh we are a great team, far better than the likes of Chelsea/ Spurs / Wolves / Arsenal and Manchester United we have shown that this season thus far

Disagree with the Chelsea and Wolves comment - i'd say on their days they are just as good and have surprised just as much as we have.

Pre season we slipped under the radar - I think as a club and fanbase we were quietly confident and fancied our chances of top 6 and many of us predicted that Man Utd and Arsenal would falter, it was the usual predictions of Everton and West Hame finally breaking the top 6 or even 4.

Likewise I expected Chelsea to struggle - Transfer ban, young team, young and arguably inexperienced manager but they've surprised me and I think many other people how good they've been - They're hit abit of a struggling patch currently and I think now they've been given the green light to splashing the cash again it could derail them abit - take the young players eyes of the ball, fear for their spots, Lampard having a new dimension he's never had to deal with before of managing the egos and big names.

Again, with Wolves, the defy peoples expectations, going well, playing exciting football and they were expected to struggle with in the introduction of Europa League to their game, yet here they are fighting up there, trying to go one better for a CL spot.

People have still got this hold up about Wolves but fair play to them an exciting team with aspirations of upsetting the big boys, I don't think people see the parallels with ourselves.

Spurs - I'm undecided on which way it'll go for them, not too much damage has been done, their position is in the balance though, all their hard word over recent years could quickly become undone or if they're careful they can get through this rough patch.

Arsenal and Man Utd are done, certainly for a few years.

Edited by Matt

21 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I stand by this.

Wolves have won 2 drawn 2 lost 2 against big 6 teams.

We've won 2 drawn 1 lost 4. But we've played Liverpool twice and they've not played them once. And they played against 10 men for virtually the whole game v Man City tonight. So whilst you might think they're a lot better v the big 6 their results are v similar to ours, assuming they lose at Liverpool on Sunday. If they win there, fair play to them.

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 1

Think Man City will spend big in jan on another couple of defenders as they are not getting anywhere with what they have at the min and I’d expect Chelsea to strengthen now as well so we need to make one or 2 very good signings to keep us pushing on. Hopefully our bad run is over if you can call losing to the best 2 teams in the league a bad run. Hopefully the further a few teams get in the European comps they lose a bit of focus on the league, I would love top 4 so every point dropped from teams directly below is us the better and hopefully we start again tomorrow with a win no matter how scrappy it is just to be back to winning ways. Not a fan of Liverpool but as they pretty much have the league hoping they beat wolves just to keep the gap a bit wider. Also hoping for a norwhich win against spurs but not really confident with that.