Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

Kudos to Wolves. They are a solid and strong team and showed how to fight the big boys. Obviously helps when Ederson doesn't get away with his brainfarts, but still pretty sure Wolves would have put up a decent show compared to our complete surrender. Traore is a beast. Wow. 

How are Traore allowed to shoulder barge into the back of a player and knock him off the ball and then set up the 2-2 goal though? I know @The Bear likes to moan about VAR and decisions going against them, but they got away with one there.

• Like 1

Just now, st albans fox said:

That’s obvious ....I was just pointing out that your weren’t right .......

well obviously there is technically a difference between second, third or fourth. but to the fan and the players there pretty much isn't. there's a reason there's a race for the title and a race for the top 4. there's no race for second. or third. cos they are irrelevant. what you get is a big fat pay cheque and a big fat qualification for champions league football. 

• Like 1

Just now, peach0000 said:

How anyone is being critical of us is beyond me. Half way point in the season and we are 2nd in the league above Man City. I feel like we could be 15 points clear at the top, lose a game and people would find something to complain about. 

Exactly. And it's always the same old names doing it

1 minute ago, Jonezy said:

Kudos to Wolves. They are a solid and strong team and showed how to fight the big boys. Obviously helps when Ederson doesn't get away with his brainfarts, but still pretty sure Wolves would have put up a decent show compared to our complete surrender. Traore is a beast. Wow. 

How are Traore allowed to shoulder barge into the back of a player and knock him off the ball and then set up the 2-2 goal though? I know @The Bear likes to moan about VAR and decisions going against them, but they got away with one there.

Watching it again, mendy chooses to take on traore by seeing the ball out and tries to cut across him with his body ... mendy chooses to take the physical contact and in those terms it’s a coming together and no foul ......

Fair play to Wolves that was a great result for them and puts more pressure on us in terms of the top 4. They are better than Chelsea though and it could be both of us make it. More disappointing than them closing the gap is the way they have no inhibitions about playing Man City or Liverpool etc. Yes, it was against a 10 man team, but, I hate to say it, they had far more grit, desire and tactical nous than us at the moment. Brendan needs to up our game. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Wolves winning is a fantastic result for us.

First off they’re a decent side, who are currently nine points behind us, if you’re worried about wolves catching us then you’re willing to accept we will throw away a nine point lead..... if that was to happen we wouldn’t deserve a place in the top four.

It’s a physiological boost for us, can you imagine how those players would feel going into tomorrow having lost to both City and Liverpool and slipping down to third? As it goes we haven’t, and we’re still a point clear, our team talk tomorrow is done, dust yourselves down go out there and restore the gap between us and them.

It is a great result, and cheers to our neighbours for doing us a favour, now stop being a bunch of ostriches, pull your heads out of the sand and cheer us on tomorrow to batter West Ham.

COME ON YOU BLUE BASTARDS! 

Trust me, you couldn't be more wrong.

Chelsea had the same amount of points as us a few weeks a go when there was about a 12pt gap between 4th and 5th and now there place is under threat. In less than a week we could find ourselves 3-5pts ahead of 5th place and then we're in a proper battle for CL football having been 14pts clear of 5th a couple of weeks a go. 

Anyone who thinks Man City are bigger rivals to our CL spot than Wolves don't have a grasp on the situation. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Common sense and simple maths? How many cans have you had over the festive period?? We’re nine points clear.... what evidence have you seen of us throwing that away. I can’t actually believe that this debate is going on.... so if we go by your logic and so called common sense, you are suggesting that we’re going to go on a raging losing spree and throw away nine points? Something we haven’t done all season? We’ve had a wobble against the two best teams on the division, had City not have lost a man it could have been different but that’s that. Outside of Man City and Liverpool were the best team in the league when on form. We will finish in the top four and probably none points clear of Wolves. Stop searching for any negative you can....

firstly i'm not sure what you're on about when you keep saying we haven't dropped 9 points all season? we've dropped 7 points in the last two weeks? 

and i'll say it again and probably for the last time. i don't think we will end up finishing behind wolves. i really hope we don't. but, call me crazy, i think we are less likely to finish behind wolves if wolves drop points as well. 

• Like 2

Wait - people are glad Wolves won???

its not about having faith. I don’t care how we do it. I don’t care if 16 other teams forfeit the rest of the year. All that matters is finishing top 4. Surely everybody thinks Man City is a lock for top 4, right? So they are not a competitor for a top 4 place. Wolves are. The 10 vs 9 point thing is kind of a red herring. It’s more about who we have the lead over vs a point difference. It’s 3 point difference bc a direct competitor for top 4 picked up 3 points from a losing position - or two from late winner if you want to concede draw

obv it is what it is. But this isn’t like some kind of debate. The result today was the worst one for us. Period. 

Edited by Bats8711
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rigga said:

Fans happier that the gap from us to 5th has gone from 10 pts to 9pts ..... Jeez... Some nutters about 

I think we should revisit this after 23rd January. IF we are still talking about Wolves in 5th, and the gap to them is less than 9 points then the argument will be justified.

Im going to stick my neck out and say one of Spurs or Man Utd will be above the come that date.

7 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Leave it man, he just really..really doesn't see it 😂

so confusing what's going on in this thread. 

people would rather us be 9 points ahead of 5th than 10 points ahead of 5th. i'm going to bed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Maybe these nutters have more faith in our team

I'm more of a, if we blow it we do not deserve it type because we have shown we have the quality, do we have the mentality, the back bone rather than Spursy:nono:  tomorrow we will see but I'm expecting a win now I'm finally over that shitshow yesterday.

10 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

i don't even know what point you are trying to argue. 

if wolves lost tonight we would be 10 points ahead of 5th. if they won we would be 9 points ahead of 5th. which one of those is better for our chances of finishing in the top 4? 

Plus we've got a  far better goal difference which worth a point 

1 minute ago, john ridley said:

Plus we've got a  far better goal difference which worth a point 

yes but honestly, please just read what i am writing. we could be 2 points ahead of 5th, we could be 40 points ahead of 5th. 

but wolves winning tonight closed the gap by a point. so that is NOT a good thing. 

Just now, ithuriel said:

I'm more of a, if we blow it we do not deserve it type because we have shown we have the quality, do we have the mentality, the back bone rather than Spursy:nono:  tomorrow we will see but I'm expecting a win now I'm finally over that shitshow yesterday.

I'm the same. If we blow it then so be it. Spending the season fearing teams like Spurs and Wolves seems ridiculous to me

• Like 1

Just now, Rigga said:

Nice to be helped by others should we slip like Chelsea have done recently... We are not guaranteed top 4 at all..

Not saying we're guaranteed but we're there on merit. Don't see any reason to be predicting a major collapse or for the likes of Wolves to go on a mad winning run

If our players and coaching staff are as downcast and worried about Wolves winning this game as some of our fans are on here, that would trouble me big time.

It’s the halfway stage of the season, we are second in the table - above the ‘mighty’ Man City - with a nine-point gap to a team in fifth place whose next game is at Anfield.

Belief and positive thinking will be half the battle if we are to get a top four place. Given our current position - and irrespective of our last two results - there is no reason for doubt and anxiety (and worrying about other teams’ results) to start creeping in.

We are still very much the masters of our own destiny.