Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

It’s pretty simple - in order to think today’s result was a good one, you need to think it’s not only possible, but LIKELY, we will finish above Man City. If you think that then fair play. But not thinking that doesn’t mean you don’t have “faith” in the team.  

I have faith that we’ll finish top 4. And that faith will turn to reality the more the teams competing with us for top 4 (wolves, spurs, man utd, Chelsea, and yes - Sheffield utd) drop points.  I don’t consider Liverpool or man city to be competing with us for top 4. And I think I’ve stopped considering arsenal as well - although of course will be rooting for their opponent whenever they play a bottom half team.  

Edited by Bats8711
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Looks like I'm in the minority then... That's a terrible result for us imo

Wolves have still got to play Liverpool twice in the next five fixtures! 

Plus they have to contend with Europa League, I think you see them run out of steam at some point, they have played more games then anyone else this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Fox said:

Manchester City are not invincible of course they are a good team but they are on par with us right now. The title race is firmly over for both us and them.

If you think Manchester city are on par with us then you really are an optimist. The game we just lost to them showed a massive gulf in every department. We are a very long way from even being close to them. 

Yeah, how anyone could see Wolves winning as anything but bad for us I can't understand.  Not only are we clearly leagues behind mind Man City on the pitch on the days MC decide to show up, it doesn't actually matter that much whether we finish 2nd or 3rd.  4th or better is all we should be worried about, which means we should be rooting for Wolves, Chelsea and Spurs to drop points at every opportunity.

I said weeks ago and I stand by it - LCFC fans should be rooting for Liverpool and MC to win every match they play as long as they aren't playing us or each other.

• Like 3

I think world football is in a bit of transition at the moment, the prem is decent quality but nobody are world beaters outside when  from time to time city and liverpool truly hit their stride. Robben has  retired Ribery nearly to, Messi and Ronaldo are still great but near the end, while Salah and De Bruyne are superb players I think its not the same depth of quality of the mid to late 2000s or even in the mid 90s outside a outstanding top two.Obviously Liverpools ability to press and out work teams is something I have not seen since the porto team in 2004 and simeone team in 2014, they suffocate you with it and  the front threes quality reaps the reward.Man city have some glorious players but any team that loses a Kompany will suffer added to Laportes injury hence why they have dropped of this year.

Oddly enougth Brighton have played some of the best football in the league that I have seen at times dominated so many games with Mooy and Propper being outstanding, the palace game was the most one sided draw I have seen anybody involved in all year, but with no end product and not enougth goals outside Maupay hence why they are oddly near the bottom of the league, Potter seems very plan a at times. It feels the  same with Norwich who have played open attacking football yet stand with 12 points, niave maybe the word for both teams managers at times.

The worst footballing teams in the league are probabaly Burnley and Newcastle and palace,  but I still feel they will all  will stay up oddly due their defensive records at home against the lower half of the table. Compare that to  Bournemouth who seem to be drifting under Howe this year and could be a surprise relegation candidate.I feel villa may still go with them,they  rely to much on Grealish , and they ship far to many goals, big spending for them has not worked.

I think Pearson will keep Watford up not that deserve it with thier ownership but they have ability in their squard, and I think  Delefelou will win them a lot of games in the second half of the season. Southampton have gone from the ridiculous to not that bad this season. They have obviously had issues between the manager and the players, but seemed to have turned it around of late outplaying arsenal and chelsea on the road, a lot depends on weather their home support can start getting behind them again. West Ham I think suffer from having a stadium with little atmosphere and a sense that the squard is aging without a direct plan for replacements, a old manager who seems  a short term option gone wrong,  Wilshere and Haller have not been brilliant buys and Yarmelenko talented as he is so injury prone, they will be going close to survival this year if results dont turn quickly.

United,arsenal are in transition with inexperienced coaches and spoilt fan bases, but still have a chance of going up the league in the second half of the season if they buy correctly in the window.Spurs have a decent squard which has had problems with contracts being up and egos kicking in, but you can already see Jose creating a uglier style their compared to poch, will see if that will be enougth to keep them in the top four we shall see. Chelsea are a good attacking team with some lovley midfielders like Kovacic, but Lampard  is very inexperienced and at times that shows tatically,feels deep down it came two or three years to early for him but they are in a decent position.

I always felt with Wolves  and Everton could threaten the top four with the money they have spent. Obviously everton have under performed and recruitment has been poor,30 million on Iwobi was a mugging for Arsenal, and 25 million for Kean looks the same but they do have a decent manager now. Wolves or Portgual B  have been hampered by the europa league but when fresh are a threat to anybody in the league Moutinho and Neves are rolls royce in terms of their passing, and if they had a world class striker theyd be banked on for the top four, but they draw to often for me and may miss out come May.

Leicester have done up till mid december brilliantly played some cracking football at times at villa and southampton for example, I do think the team has ability, old fashioned wingers, and Vardy giving every last drop and performing at a exceptional level at 32 years of age. However I am concerned a lack of experienced, lack of qualityout wide, and in big games a lack of belief will mean the top four maybe come may a bit to much to ask,we shall see. I could still see a euroupa league finish when all is said and done. The next two games will say a lot about the character of the squard and weather a top four push can be maintained.

Edited by twister
spelling
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Until an independent body of officials are solely in charge of the system, we're never going to get consistency.  

These referees just play musical chairs with the VAR booth.  

We've half heartedly adopted a system which was supposed to sort out bias towards "big clubs" but it hasn't, in fact, it's made it worse.  The only thing clear and obvious is the poor implementation of VAR.

This.

Preferably using retired refs or international officials who don’t report to the FA.

• Like 2

2 Bad ( very bad performance wise) results, every Single One of our stars,young as they are,still took 2 Good hidings.

But they Need & needed to be tested....Its been a Learning curve vor individuals,Team & B.Rodgers what he can expect from his Resources & squad.

I Dont go with, .oh Br. Rodgers should of done this or that,or fans ideas of could of should of....Fans always despotely,and Desperately believe they could do better,and Everything is so obvious!!!   And why become a Top Football manager, if I can sell,cars,houses,become a Business,IT-consultant,or Shelf filler,Maybe a Great Legend by Mcdonalds...

I had hoped,and Dreamed we could come out positive over the Festive period. We could say Thanks to Wolves,we still could go into the New year,still 2nd after 2 heavy(for different reasons) losses...But it hurt, because simply how our players reached but didnt Stretch to the challenge....they didnt even get their boots dirty,so it seemed from the terraces. Alround We fell short and off the Horse with a bump....

This young developing Team now need  from within some wise words and from the terraces support and encouragement,they Too this season found their limits.

So now get up dust ourselves down & start the Task of Setting up the next phase,the next devopement  Block of success....!!  You Really aint that bad,we all have had our ears smacked ,and realise we also aint that good....YET!!!     

Or lay down und die,and wither away the last months shown  potential away..!!!

Now the Work and questions starts...."Are You Good enough ". Players,manager,coaches..first up!!   But also the fans !!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 2

I actually laughed out loud at Everton’s lol 

We’ve been shite the last couple weeks but a bit of perspective tells you we’re an unlikely second amongst clubs that really have had it badly this year.

9 hours ago, tickler28 said:

Irrelevant to me if we finish 2nd or 4th but dropping down to 5th would be a disaster. A couple of weeks ago we were 14 points clear of 5th....now it's 9....by the end of the season if Wolves are above us by 2 points.....is this still a good result?

We have just played the 2 strongest teams in the league and dropping 6 points isn't the end of the world against these teams, we just need to get back to winning ways today. We were never going to keep winning so the gap was always going to change, when/ if the gap to 5th drops to 5 or less points we should start to worry, at the minute it's still 3 losses and 3 wins for the team in 5th for them to catch us. I can't see that happening any time soon. 

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
9 hours ago, OadbyBlue said:

It is strange how under Puel, hell even Shakespeare it was the opposite way round, dropping points left right and centre against Burnley and hull but then going on and beating Man City and Chelsea 

You set up different for reach match , defensive when necessary and more attacking when you will have more possession. Neither Puel or seemingly Rodgers now seem ready to do that.

Edited by An Sionnach

Guest seanfox778

The negativity on here is nuts. We're halfway through the season and we're 2nd, above last seasons Champions and a lot of people are certain we're going to drop out of the top 4. We've got West Ham twice, Newcastle and Burnley coming up. Seems a fantastic position to be in! 

32 minutes ago, seanfox778 said:

The negativity on here is nuts. We're halfway through the season and we're 2nd, above last seasons Champions and a lot of people are certain we're going to drop out of the top 4. We've got West Ham twice, Newcastle and Burnley coming up. Seems a fantastic position to be in! 

I don't think it's negativity as such, more people expressing their understandable disappointment at the way we've played in the last three games, especially the way we meekly capitulated against Man  City and Liverpool when our league position indicates we should have been competitive at the very least. I share that view.

Coupled with our degree of tactical ineptitude in those games and Wolves' excellent comeback against (albeit 10 man) Man City so closing the gap on us, I think the frustration and disappointment are understandable. 

• Like 1

Guest seanfox778
13 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

I don't think it's negativity as such, more people expressing their understandable disappointment at the way we've played in the last three games, especially the way we meekly capitulated against Man  City and Liverpool when our league position indicates we should have been competitive at the very least. I share that view.

Coupled with our degree of tactical ineptitude in those games and Wolves' excellent comeback against (albeit 10 man) Man City so closing the gap on us, I think the frustration and disappointment are understandable. 

Yeah, I hear that. We looked terrified in the two previous games which was a massive let down for the fans. I think I was more shocked at all the drop out of the top 4 talk, still in a healthy position for that. Hopefully 3 points today will get the team in high spirits again. 

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Some of us are born pessimists we'll never be overly disappointed but will always appreciate any success with surprising joy.

As it happens, the experts say that we're all born pessimists and that optimism is a learned skill!

As humans, we're 7 times more likely to see the negative than the positive in things apparently :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Corky said:

Teams below us are going to win matches, it is up to us to win our own. Yes it is frustrating that Wolves have taken points when it looked like they wouldn't but we have control of our own future. 

Of course but I'd rather us need 62pts to get 4th than 72pts. 

You have more chance of top four if your direct opponents are playing poorly, it's not all about us. Another example would be I'd be a lot more confident of winning the League Cup if the other SF was Colchester vs Oxford. 

17 minutes ago, Izzy said:

As it happens, the experts say that we're all born pessimists and that optimism is a learned skill!

As humans, we're 7 times more likely to see the negative than the positive in things apparently :)

Good to know I'm 'normal' :thumbup::fc:

• Haha 1