Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Lee Congerton appointed Head of Recruitment

8 minutes ago, Poznan34 said:

Ffs. Did no one at the club have the balls to say no to Rodgers? We've been doing some excellent recruitment over the past year and now it's going down the pan thanks to appointing this wally. 

Yeah, yeah you’re right. Only one thing for it, fold the club. 

:frantics:

38 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Sometimes you have to make mistakes to get better.

I've learnt to give people time especially after writing of Vardy in his first season at the club.

But he made his first mistakes at Hamburg and then again at Sunderland and then again at Celtic

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Nobody had a good word to say about Rudkin, be he seems to be turning into a pretty decent DOF.

There is a chain of people involved in transfers, from the scouts going to matches, the analytics guys and those getting the deal over the line. Sure the man at the top will carry the can but if there are issues in the chain it can make their job impossible. 

As I said, he and Rodgers wanted certain players at Celtic that the board failed to get. Why do people think Rodgers has been at loggerheads with their board for so long about transfers. Rodgers isn’t blaming him for the issues there, so perhaps people should just wait and see what happens here where they’ll both get the backing they’ve not had previously.

I actually think the club and Rudkin have learnt a lots since are return to the PL.

I acute think we have done pretty well in most to the transfer windows expect the one after the title win. I also believe that was down to not be prepared due to an amazing turn of events.

We have sold well, get top money for Drinkwater and Mahrez. We have been quick to realise mistakes and ship out poor buys.

We have brought players that have soar in value Ndidi, Maguire, Maddison, Riccardo.

We have grabbed bargains Huth, Albrighton, Evans.

Yes we have had some stinkers Slim, Musa etc, but so does everyone else.

People in here seems to the LC is flying around the world looking a players, cutting deals without the involvement of Rudkin, Rogers and a whole team, drives me mad.

• Like 1

It is what it is, cant say i'm overwhelmed or in fact surprised, but we have no choice other than to see how it goes? 

I'd imagine any summer transfers will already be in the pipe-line, so doubt we are going to see if he is upto the job, until at the earliest January.

Or are we going with any good signings were previously scouted by Marcia and any incoming shit we blame Congerton? 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Not even as Chief Scout at Chelsea for best part of 00s?

Given the times he was there, he'd have signed the likes of Essien, Cole, Deco, Shevchenko, Kalou, Ivanovic, Anelka, Matic, David Luiz, Courtois, Mata, De Bruyne...?

I think you'll find Arnesen was responsible for them.

6 minutes ago, Manini said:

Does anybody really give a **** about what those gobshites think? It’s not rhetorical i’m genuinely interested to know? 

I'm always fairly interested in the reaction of any club we sign someone from.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think you'll find Arnesen was responsible for them.

But this is the thing, nobody actually knows who spotted or recommended who. Only when someone like Walsh comes out with his stories about how he spotted Mahrez do you know. But more often than not you probably have half a dozen people involved in the process.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

Anyone able to provide some info on positive work this guy has done? 

All I can see is poor records at Sunderland and Celtic. 

And some mention of Hamburg that apparently wasn't successful either.

I think his most successful signings for Sunderland were Van Aanholt and Defoe although it doesn't take a genius to work out Defoe would be a good signing if you're need of a goalscorer. I think PVA was bought for about £2mill so that's good.

The rest, as I am aware, at Sunderland were woeful and included the likes of Buckley and Rodwell.

I don't quite understand the backlash. People would be happy to have Walsh back who signed Slimani, Musa, Kapustka, Benalouane, Inler, Zieler and so on. I know Walsh did sign some good ones but I think every scout in the business has recommended some absolute tosh in their career. If he understands the way Brendan wants to play and the type of player he likes I don't see the problem. Also with a budget of 37p at Celtic anyone is bound to make some dodgy signings. Give the bloke a chance. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mark_w said:

I'm always fairly interested in the reaction of any club we sign someone from.

This isn’t a player they can watch on the pitch though, fans have no idea what goes on behind the scenes, the politics, the processes, who picks who etc. 

We we signed some decent players lately, but if people think Mascia was the man out there solely picking up Maddison, Evans, Ricardo etc they are deluded.

• Like 2

This thread reminds me of the Claudio Ranieri appointment thread.

We are ready to throw someone under the bus before he has even made any signings (with his recruitment team). How can we possibly judge him without seeing what he can do and without seeing how he copes in a different market place. He may well have unearthed loads of players that Celtic couldnt afford, he may have found players who didnt want to go to a largely cold climate playing against a bunch of donkey teams and then there are the players who wanted higher wages. His pool of what he can afford and persuade to sign is much smaller than what he can do now being at not over the premier league and the pulling power we have, being in England and having money.

BTW, before we start making out as if every signing we have made was Messi or Ronaldo, we have wasted tens of millions and 50m of that on Slimani and Iheanacho. 

• Like 2

can you imagine if he signs some brilliant players for us and they peform brilliantly for us and push the club to even greater heights evryone will be singing 'let's all do the Congerton, let's all do the congerton'. As with other people we have recruited to this club who people were sketchy about but did very well, we should all reserve judgement. if he does well we'll sing his praises if he flops we will condemn him.

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

I think his most successful signings for Sunderland were Van Aanholt and Defoe although it doesn't take a genius to work out Defoe would be a good signing if you're need of a goalscorer. I think PVA was bought for about £2mill so that's good.

The rest, as I am aware, at Sunderland were woeful and included the likes of Buckley and Rodwell.

He signed PVA, Bertrand, Sinclair for a few hundred grand. All have gone on to change hands for good money and I’m sure there are plenty more as well. He was  more in charge of picking up young talent to bring through.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I actually think the club and Rudkin have learnt a lots since are return to the PL.

I acute think we have done pretty well in most to the transfer windows expect the one after the title win. I also believe that was down to not be prepared due to an amazing turn of events.

We have sold well, get top money for Drinkwater and Mahrez. We have been quick to realise mistakes and ship out poor buys.

We have brought players that have soar in value Ndidi, Maguire, Maddison, Riccardo.

We have grabbed bargains Huth, Albrighton, Evans.

Yes we have had some stinkers Slim, Musa etc, but so does everyone else.

People in here seems to the LC is flying around the world looking a players, cutting deals without the involvement of Rudkin, Rogers and a whole team, drives me mad.

This is true and the encouraging thing is that our shockers (and you missed a few like Iheanacho and Silva) have been in the more distant past and the good uns more recently, suggesting that we have learned from our mistakes.  There appears to be a policy change focusing on youth now which is so far paying dividends.

We haven't signed a dud since Shakespeare's time, well maybe Ghezzal, but overall recruitment has been excellent for the last year.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I judge people on what they do for LCFC, not what they do for others.

It appears BR see LC as a key part of his team, maybe he said to the club, I only come is I can bring my own people?

The problem is, Rodgers history on signing players is very sketchy. It's likely to be sketchy if he's appointing clowns like Congerton. Rodgers weakness is transfers if he can be responsible for them, if he isnt then it's the recruitment director which is this sorry case is now his bum chum Lee Congerton. Very disturbing.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1