Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

I don't think Barnes's base level is ever going to be particularly high, he just isn't good enough technically. He's the type who'll always need a run of games to play himself into form, and be at 100% fitness/sharpness to impact games.

I also think he's a casualty of our lower intensity style of play. He has never been someone who takes the full back off the dribble through nifty footwork, and has always impacted games more where the opposition shape collapses and he can get fed the ball in space and eat up the ground, or use his pace in behind the full back.

I expect he'll improve considerably as the season goes on.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, buzzer_b said:

Another one of our dangerous players that’s well out of form. To me he looks unfit and in need of a rest. 

Agree with the out of form. But we're in October and he needs a rest already? 

Just giving him an excuse. 

He's gone from being effective in and out of games to being anonymous all game

Just now, peterborofox said:

Agree with the out of form. But we're in October and he needs a rest already? 

Just giving him an excuse. 

He's gone from being effective in and out of games to being anonymous all game

He doesn’t look fit imo that’s why I think he needs to be dropped. It wasn’t an excuse. He’s been shit for a while.

37 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Awful display today again. Maybe we should try Lookman on that side and Perez / Albrighton on the other because he’s been poor since the Napoli game. 

Do you not think though today had confirmed you can’t play with 2 strikers (Vardy, Iheanacho) and 2 wingers, just get over run in midfield. Something has to give. 

All players are to some extent confidence players but Barnes is particularly susceptible. 

When he gets into a run of form, he's unstoppable. But then he has a run of games where he's poor. 

I think playing him in the Europa to help him regain his confidence with Lookman in the domestic fixtures might work, as we can't afford to carry him at the moment. 

Set up a goal, so even out of form he’s more productive than Maddison or Perez.

He’s been poor but he’s at his best when he can get into the box to attack cut backs and score. Currently we’re so laboured we’re going to create very few good chances for him.

Barnes is much more like a wide forward and given Vardy is a relatively uninvolved striker, we need to balance the side so we have creators to serve them.

2 minutes ago, brockmyster said:

He's needs to remember he has 2 legs and can run at people, looks like a rabbit in the headlights when he gets the ball and doesn't have a 50ft radius of space

He must ran at the full back once a game and then think job done. I don't think I've ever seen a winger with so much pace not run at anybody.

1 hour ago, escape2victory said:

Do you not think though today had confirmed you can’t play with 2 strikers (Vardy, Iheanacho) and 2 wingers, just get over run in midfield. Something has to give. 

On paper that's what the result would suggest.

The thing is though is that was a 442 without Evans or Ndidi, our two best defensive players. On top of that too many players had poor games; Tielemans, Barnes, Bertrand. Lookman was OK without being special. Nacho was dropping deeper at times and was our best creative player as well as scoring. So maybe it's unfair to blame the system but more the players?

Maybe the trick is to turn Nacho into an actual number 10 rather than as a striker and ask him to go deeper for the ball? He's so unfortunate in that he's easily the second best player in our team, but the best is Vardy with 6 goals who despite our shocking start is still the Premier League's joint top scorer. But Nacho has been so good that really the coversation should be who we leave out of the team for him, not the other way around. This thread is about Barnes, and he has had many poor performances this season, whereas Nacho has been good every-time he has come on the pitch. He's started 2 games and got 2 goals and an assist! And it's not like he didn't do anything else, he was our best player today.

We went 442 against Spurs last day of last season and this season played it today. Both times we got overrun in midfield, though today we got a point at least. Tough to say...

• Like 1

With his build he should be so much better playing with his back to goal but I don’t think he can at all.

Constantly tries quick passes around the corner when it’s not on and currently loses possession a lot. He needs to work on how to use his body when receiving the ball and use his bloody frame. You’ll struggle to keep the ball in their final third when you have Barnes and Vardy up top for you and it goes completely against BR’s game plan of keeping possession but what’s the point when as soon as it goes forward we can’t keep it up there.

The left side today was an absolute liability when it’s usually the right side where we struggle.

Lookman has shown he is so much better technically and we need more options like that if we want to threaten teams in a possession based team.

• Like 1

Rodgers and the coaching staff need to help him a lot, Barnes has a lot raw ability but he needs refining. 

They need to help him make small adjustments like with his body shape and technique in possession.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I think Barnes has a lot to do with the slump, this 4231 doesn't work anymore, I think a 3 ATB with the wingbacks would be the way to go but it leaves Barnes completely out the team

I think the manager is in charge and he’s to blame… people need to wake up. We are in a relegation battle… we are totally dog Shyte…

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

Set up a goal, so even out of form he’s more productive than Maddison or Perez.

He’s been poor but he’s at his best when he can get into the box to attack cut backs and score. Currently we’re so laboured we’re going to create very few good chances for him.

Barnes is much more like a wide forward and given Vardy is a relatively uninvolved striker, we need to balance the side so we have creators to serve them.

Perez, yes.

Maddison still set up a goal here and there despite being in poor form.

5 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Rodgers and the coaching staff need to help him a lot, Barnes has a lot raw ability but he needs refining. 

They need to help him make small adjustments like with his body shape and technique in possession.

Definitely, It's like he's been told to not take players on in case he loses the Ball. He's also still getting back to sharpness after being out for so long.

25 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I think Barnes has a lot to do with the slump, this 4231 doesn't work anymore, I think a 3 ATB with the wingbacks would be the way to go but it leaves Barnes completely out the team

2 up front was working fine. Iheanacho and Vardy were both contributing (Kelechi scoring more tbf to him) but Rodgers was forced into this when Barnes got injured.

Barnes (and Maddison) both come back from injury and are both striaght into the side with Kelechi, our top scorer ffs, dropped.

I wasn't surprised to see both strikers score today considering they were together again.

If Barnes was actually doing something then I'd concede but for me we've got to stick with two up front.

Edited by Fox92