Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

6 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Actually looking at some alternate angles for his goal I'm pretty sure he meant to finish it into the ground first like that, or it at least didn't take a deflection like it first seemed. The miss was dreadful though, agreed

He also had a dreadful miss after Chilwell (who was terrific BTW, though most around here will never admit it) served him on a silver platter in the first half.

• Like 1

He just needs to work on his finishing and we have one heck of a player. He's the only winger in the squad who will face defenders up and run at them, but too often this season he gets into wonderful positions but doesn't have that end product. 

I think if he worked with Vardy and learnt one or two things about finishing he would look like three times the player. 

Chillwell was not terrific in any way. Until his goal he was poor. His awfully placed cross ended back at him and he scored. Fair play. I'm not a hater as such but can appreciate he has been poor for the last two months at least.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, foxer said:

Chillwell was not terrific in any way. Until his goal he was poor. His awfully placed cross ended back at him and he scored. Fair play. I'm not a hater as such but can appreciate he has been poor for the last two months at least.

Unsure why I've talked about chilwell in this thread. Barnes - decent today and yes his goals of late have been scrappy but who cares. He needs the ball played to him a lot quicker than it has been recently and he'll continue to flourish.

Edited by foxer

His finishing needs work but he’s now scored 3 in 3 in the prem and confidence is rising! There will be a day he has 3 shots and everyone goes top corner! 

Main work for me is his defensive, he goes to sleep, especially tracking runners and not ball watching.

Having said that I do love seeing local lads get into the first team! It’s been a while since we’ve had a attacker who scores/creates other than andy king recently! 

He seems to have a great attitude too! 

Final point his current goals/assists has gray every contributed more overall in a season? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

His finishing needs work but he’s now scored 3 in 3 in the prem and confidence is rising! There will be a day he has 3 shots and everyone goes top corner! 

Main work for me is his defensive, he goes to sleep, especially tracking runners and not ball watching.

Having said that I do love seeing local lads get into the first team! It’s been a while since we’ve had a attacker who scores/creates other than andy king recently! 

He seems to have a great attitude too! 

Final point his current goals/assists has gray every contributed more overall in a season? 

Has gray contributed this amount in his whole time here is the question 😂

Edited by K1FOX
  • Haha 1

He's having the bit of luck in front goal that he wasn't having earlier in the season. Couple of deflections gone in his favour, Pope should have saved his goal at Burnley and a nice tap in against West ham. Think his performances over the season have deserved a bit of luck though. Works on his finishing and he's got it all. 

He did generally play well today and has been a lot better the last few games but I can't agree with the idea that we've potentially got a future great on our hands. 

I think his maximum level is really that of a middling premier League player. He's far too much of a confidence player and prior to his recent upturn the low confidence Barnes had become so poor that he was actually a real detriment to the team. 

Furthermore his finishing is absolutely terrible, two good chances squandered today. You can say 'once he sorts his finishing out' but he's been wasting good chances in front of goal consistently for over a year now with no improvement. I'm just not sure he has got it. 

If we were content to be a midtable club he'd be a perfectly decent option but the past two seasons clearly show the fans aren't satisfied with that level of relative success and I don't think Barnes is really cut out long term to be a top six level player.

21 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

He did generally play well today and has been a lot better the last few games but I can't agree with the idea that we've potentially got a future great on our hands. 

I think his maximum level is really that of a middling premier League player. He's far too much of a confidence player and prior to his recent upturn the low confidence Barnes had become so poor that he was actually a real detriment to the team. 

Furthermore his finishing is absolutely terrible, two good chances squandered today. You can say 'once he sorts his finishing out' but he's been wasting good chances in front of goal consistently for over a year now with no improvement. I'm just not sure he has got it. 

If we were content to be a midtable club he'd be a perfectly decent option but the past two seasons clearly show the fans aren't satisfied with that level of relative success and I don't think Barnes is really cut out long term to be a top six level player.

One attribute that helps make a top player stand out from an average, is being able to handle pressure and show confidence during tricky situations. 

BR has spoken to the media earlier on this season regarding Barnes showing a bit more arrogance/confidence. Time will tell whether this will happen with Barnes but he has all the attributes to be a top player and I am excited to watch him develop. 

Some players aren't natural finishers but with Barnes we have seen with some of the goals he scored in the Championship, that he can finish. He should have scored again yesterday but even the best miss chances. I personally have seen an improvement in his all round game, which includes his tracking back. He is frustrating at times but he's still relatively young and inexperienced.  

My worry is Barnes, similar to Chilwell, will face unnecessary criticism from the fans when in reality they are both good, young footballers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

One attribute that helps make a top player stand out from an average, is being able to handle pressure and show confidence during tricky situations. 

BR has spoken to the media earlier on this season regarding Barnes showing a bit more arrogance/confidence. Time will tell whether this will happen with Barnes but he has all the attributes to be a top player and I am excited to watch him develop. 

Some players aren't natural finishers but with Barnes we have seen with some of the goals he scored in the Championship, that he can finish. He should have scored again yesterday but even the best miss chances. I personally have seen an improvement in his all round game, which includes his tracking back. He is frustrating at times but he's still relatively young and inexperienced.  

My worry is Barnes, similar to Chilwell, will face unnecessary criticism from the fans when in reality they are both good, young footballers. 

That’s far too sensible to post on here! 

• Haha 1

Guest Markyblue

Barnes is going to be the real deal. Hes learning but improving as well, we are lucky to have him please get behind him hes going to be a superstar.

9 minutes ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

I seem to remember that according to the God of Football Punditry himself, Michael Owen, Jamie Vardy is not a natural goal scorer either.

Seriously though Harvey does need to improve his finishing and I am sure they will be working on that in training.

Having said that he looked very dangerous on the ball yesterday and it was a good scrap between him and James.  I would like to see him hit the bye-line more often though, from a defender’s point of view it is much easier if they know that 95% of the time he will cut inside.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Honestly thought he had Reece James on toast and he's genuinely a very good right back, will soon be in the England squad. It's okay blitzing old men like Zabaleta but today he was very impressive and deserved his goal.

He's getting bigger and stronger, just wish he had a bit of aggression in his game. Get the feeling he's far too nice.

But his trouble is he's just about the worst finisher i've ever seen. He got to be taking those chances.

If he adds a lethal finish to his game then **** me he's going to be special. His dribbling, passing, athleticism and positional awareness are all superb.

I'll add that finishing isn't uncoachable. Look at Raheem Sterling. He couldn't hit a barn door 2/3 years ago.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

But we have also seen regularly that he can't finish in the Prem (people say the league is weak this year and rightly so but the gulf in quality between Prem and Championship remains enormous). It's been the fate of many a player who has come up having scored well in the championship only to struggle badly at the higher level.

I know it's a Foxestalk mantra that young players are inherently great and only ever improve but I just don't see it happening regarding his finishing, and if it doesn't fairly soon, particularly when we create so many chances, he's gonna have to be replaced by someone who can.

I have absolutely no doubt that Barnes can go on and have a comfortable career in the PL, he is a decent young footballer. But it's far more likely that itl be at the level of someone like Jeff Schlupp than a real top class player from what he currently shows.

1 hour ago, Gubbins said:

He's already better than a middling PL player!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sdb said:

He's already better than a middling PL player!!

He really isn't. And me saying he's a middling PL player isn't really made as an insult. It doesn't mean he's crap. More that he's capable at this level but fluctuations in form prevent him from being top draw.  

14 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

But we have also seen regularly that he can't finish in the Prem (people say the league is weak this year and rightly so but the gulf in quality between Prem and Championship remains enormous). It's been the fate of many a player who has come up having scored well in the championship only to struggle badly at the higher level.

I know it's a Foxestalk mantra that young players are inherently great and only ever improve but I just don't see it happening regarding his finishing, and if it doesn't fairly soon, particularly when we create so many chances, he's gonna have to be replaced by someone who can.

I have absolutely no doubt that Barnes can go on and have a comfortable career in the PL, he is a decent young footballer. But it's far more likely that itl be at the level of someone like Jeff Schlupp than a real top class player from what he currently shows.

Slightly off topic but top two aside, the quality in Premier League has been pretty average. 

I don't think the people of FT are quick to say our young players are great however I do believe that they are afforded more time before being slated. The same can be said for all clubs. Nothing better than having a good young player coming from the youth system. 

I honestly believe his finishing is down to confidence rather than ability. Bit of an extreme but look at what good coaching has done for someone like Sterling. He couldnt hit a barn door (no pun intended). He does need to step up soon, I do agree. However he does have 3 in 3 (I think) but should have more. 

I must admit I thought Schlupp was destined for the Championship.

He’s still finding his feet at this level, sometimes he has real stinkers but he is getting there slowly but surely, should have buried that chance that Vardy gave to him on a plate but anyway that shows his inconsistency at this level. He will get there in time! We could still do with a top quality winger, but that’s for the summer