Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

Like many have said he’s only going to get better. 

Vardy had 5 goals and 8 assists in his first season in the prem and I’d put money on Barnes topping that. 

He’s got so much potential and seems a decent lad who’ll be working hard in training on his finishing. Let’s enjoy him cause if does start consistently scoring and taking chances then he won’t be here much longer. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed watching him knock the ball through James' legs. But he's a lot quicker than I realised, the lad has a real turn of pace on him. 

I think he has got much quicker in this last 6 months, whether he has been coached in to running at full throttle at teams rather than dribble the ball with closer control I'm not sure but in recent weeks there's been several blistering runs from him where at first glance I thought it was Vardy.

• Like 1

Just now, Ric Flair said:

I think he has got much quicker in this last 6 months, whether he has been coached in to running at full throttle at teams rather than dribble the ball with closer control I'm not sure but in recent weeks there's been several blistering runs from him where at first glance I thought it was Vardy.

He seems a lot more explosive over short distances, and has been using it a lot more lately. Some brilliant pieces of play over the last few games, but needs to continue improving over the season.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Collibosher70 said:

Embrace him...he's a real talent.

And he'll only get better

So true. I don’t understand some of the negativity most of our younger player get. They will improve, Rogers has faith in them and given them confidence to go out and express themselves. Yes, they will make the odd mistake, we all do. Some of our lot seem to think our kids should be impacting games like Messi & Ronaldo ! We’re having a great season so far, the kids are part of it. 

45 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

But we have also seen regularly that he can't finish in the Prem (people say the league is weak this year and rightly so but the gulf in quality between Prem and Championship remains enormous). It's been the fate of many a player who has come up having scored well in the championship only to struggle badly at the higher level.

I know it's a Foxestalk mantra that young players are inherently great and only ever improve but I just don't see it happening regarding his finishing, and if it doesn't fairly soon, particularly when we create so many chances, he's gonna have to be replaced by someone who can.

I have absolutely no doubt that Barnes can go on and have a comfortable career in the PL, he is a decent young footballer. But it's far more likely that itl be at the level of someone like Jeff Schlupp than a real top class player from what he currently shows.

Can't you see that he has improved over the last year and is still improving?  How can you possibly know what his ceiling will be?  You write his potential off as a middling PL player at best as if we are some kind of Premier League juggernaut because we are having a good season.  It's breathtaking arrogance.  The very best - the Salahs, the Manes, Sterlings etc won't come to Leicester you know.  Our best chance is to make our own.

Your posts suggest that you don't know talent when you see it, you don't understand that youth needs to develop and doesn't come ready made.  Harvey Barnes is the most exciting academy graduate since Heskey imo.  He has met every challenge at every level that he has faced and will continue to improve.  

Who knows where his ceiling will be?  Not you, obviously.  Jeff flippin Schlupp I ask you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

He really isn't. And me saying he's a middling PL player isn't really made as an insult. It doesn't mean he's crap. More that he's capable at this level but fluctuations in form prevent him from being top draw.  

I know it wasn't an insult, but he's our most exciting player. Currently our most prolific player too. And we set in 3rd place. Clearly he's better than your average PL player. Yes he's inconsistent but that's because he's young and learning. Not because he's a player who's apparently already hit his ceiling and is now destined to stop improving! This is his first full season in the league and he's our leading assister and probably 3rd highest scorer. How is that, at 22, the sign of an average player?!

11 minutes ago, murphy said:

Can't you see that he has improved over the last year and is still improving?  How can you possibly know what his ceiling will be?  You write his potential off as a middling PL player at best as if we are some kind of Premier League juggernaut because we are having a good season.  It's breathtaking arrogance.  The very best - the Salahs, the Manes, Sterlings etc won't come to Leicester you know.  Our best chance is to make our own.

Your posts suggest that you don't know talent when you see it, you don't understand that youth needs to develop and doesn't come ready made.  Harvey Barnes is the most exciting academy graduate since Heskey imo.  He has met every challenge at every level that he has faced and will continue to improve.  

Who knows where his ceiling will be?  Not you, obviously.  Jeff flippin Schlupp I ask you!

😄 Christ where to begin with this. Again the idea that by middling PL player I mean crap. The whole league is made up of middling players for God's sake. Competent but not outstanding. That's not a bad thing. Bit arrogant to assume otherwise... Much like your dismissal of Jeff flippin Schlupp who after Heskey has been one of the very few players to have a prem career that we've produced. 

I don't see how me thinking that Barnes won't make it as a truly top level player which I'm happy to be wrong about by the way makes me think we're a juggernaut??? Dearie me are you a relative of his?

24 minutes ago, sdb said:

I know it wasn't an insult, but he's our most exciting player. Currently our most prolific player too. And we set in 3rd place. Clearly he's better than your average PL player. Yes he's inconsistent but that's because he's young and learning. Not because he's a player who's apparently already hit his ceiling and is now destined to stop improving! This is his first full season in the league and he's our leading assister and probably 3rd highest scorer. How is that, at 22, the sign of an average player?!

Yes currently he's doing well but as I've already said your average player has regular fluctuations in form and he was looking hopeless a couple of weeks back. Well as I said in another post hopefully I'll be proved wrong. And I do stress that I dont mean bad when I mean average but it's surely far more likely that even with further improvement that hel end up as a more standard level pl player than a Mane or Sancho.

For the life of me I do not understand why some seem to enjoy being negative about a player, especially a youth academy player, and a especially a kid who walked the same streets as we did. Do you think there's a better player, a player who you think should play instead? Good: sing his praises. But having it in for an young improving player with four goals and the highest assists in our team?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, les-tah said:

Do we think Barnes would be more or less effective on the right? - Genuine question

Far far less, tried a few times in December and he couldn’t have looked more uncomfortable. Weirdly that’s when most of the unfair critism came. 

• Like 1

On 18 September 2019 at 08:51, Babylon said:

It's a clear fault with his game, been saying it since last season. He cannot link up play properly because of it... doesn't help playing with Chilwell who is turning into a headless chicken, but he clearly doesn't know when to make a run, when to go outside, when to go inside. He's young, there is plenty of time to learn it, but you feel he'd be better off out there with someone with experience to tell him when and where to go at times. 

Disagree that Chilwell is s headless chicken. He does have too many lapses in concentration and gives the crowd a reason to have a go. 

Top op managers are after Chilwell, they know he will have an excellent career, hopefully with us. 

Back on topic, Barnes is a real talent, still learning the game. Like others on here, I just wish he was a natural finisher. Will probably end up with loads more assists than goals, unless some scoring coach can help him improve.

Both players would benefit from better support from our fans, particularly on social media. The players must read some of the rubbish written about them, can't be motivating when it's not justified, like they don't care, they don't try etc. 

• Like 1

I think he’s really improving and benefitting from BR & team’s coaching.

One element he’s definitely added in the last month or 2 is changing the way he beats his defender by adding knocking it past them and using raw pace to get past. He used to really try close control and skill to get past - mixing it up makes him way harder to defend against - Do I get really tight as the ball gets to him so he can’t dribble past me? Or give him a few yards as he might flick it past and take on the foot race.

Get behind him, he’ll be a world beater!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CUJimmy said:

I know it’s old fashioned but to me there is something special about seeing a youngster playing for the team they supported as a kid having come up through the academy.  We are never going back to the days when the entire team was like that but a strong core has got to help with cohesion and engagement with the fans.

When I was teaching the best schools have a group of ‘lifers’ who were in the DNA of the school and the community mixed with a regular turnover of new staff with fresh ideas.  I think the same applies in a football club.

After both goals were scored there was massive camaraderie between the players which is great to see.

Totally agree about seeing players like Hamza, Barnes and Chilwell in the team too. As a fan I will always have a soft spot for home grown players.

1 hour ago, Gubbins said:

😄 Christ where to begin with this. Again the idea that by middling PL player I mean crap. The whole league is made up of middling players for God's sake. Competent but not outstanding. That's not a bad thing. Bit arrogant to assume otherwise... Much like your dismissal of Jeff flippin Schlupp who after Heskey has been one of the very few players to have a prem career that we've produced. 

I don't see how me thinking that Barnes won't make it as a truly top level player which I'm happy to be wrong about by the way makes me think we're a juggernaut??? Dearie me are you a relative of his?

Take Wilf Zaha as an example of a player in a similar position who most pundits and fans would have as better than a middling PL player. 
Never had more than 15 goal involvements in a season. Only once hit 10 goals in a season.

Harvey in his first full season in the Premier League has 4 goals and 6 assists, this in a team that isn’t built around him and he has been in and out of all season. Would anyone be surprised to see him get another 2 goals and 3 assists in the last 13 games? and match Zaha’s best ever season. 
I know I wouldn’t, with a bit more confidence in front of goal, and that will come. I could easily see him getting 10 goals and 10 assists in a season. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Take Wilf Zaha as an example of a player in a similar position who most pundits and fans would have as better than a middling PL player. 
Never had more than 15 goal involvements in a season. Only once hit 10 goals in a season.

Harvey in his first full season in the Premier League has 4 goals and 6 assists, this in a team that isn’t built around him and he has been in and out of all season. Would anyone be surprised to see him get another 2 goals and 3 assists in the last 13 games? and match Zaha’s best ever season. 
I know I wouldn’t, with a bit more confidence in front of goal, and that will come. I could easily see him getting 10 goals and 10 assists in a season. 

tbf comparing him to zaha is literally comparing him to a middling premier league player. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

I take your points (although it's gonna take more than a bit of confidence for him to get 10 goals given what I've seen!) I suspect though that if Zaha played for us this season he'd quite easily blitz his previous personal best whilst if Barnes was playing for a turgid Palace both he and palace would be worse off. All hypothetical but I suspect a fair assumption. 

The real key to the (probably by now too many) posts I've made this morning is his rancid finishing and I genuinely don't believe hel improve a great deal at this given how many chances he consistently misses. I feel this combined with seemingly confidence based form will prevent him from being the sort of player who regularly plays in Europe be it for us or someone else although I fully expect him to spend most of his career as a prem player again either with us or someone else. I know this is a little counter to the internet way of something/someone being either utterly brilliant or utterly shite but there you go. I'll leave it at that.

2 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

I take your points (although it's gonna take more than a bit of confidence for him to get 10 goals given what I've seen!) I suspect though that if Zaha played for us this season he'd quite easily blitz his previous personal best whilst if Barnes was playing for a turgid Palace both he and palace would be worse off. All hypothetical but I suspect a fair assumption. 

The real key to the (probably by now too many) posts I've made this morning is his rancid finishing and I genuinely don't believe hel improve a great deal at this given how many chances he consistently misses. I feel this combined with seemingly confidence based form will prevent him from being the sort of player who regularly plays in Europe be it for us or someone else although I fully expect him to spend most of his career as a prem player again either with us or someone else. I know this is a little counter to the internet way of something/someone being either utterly brilliant or utterly shite but there you go. I'll leave it at that.

Perez scored 13 goals in a very defensive Newcastle side last season and in one of the most potent attacking teams in the division this season he has scored 7, so likely to end up with less. Zaha is nowhere near as good as people think he is, certainly not worth £60-80m and Barnes will score and assist more than him with just a modicum of improvement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sdb said:

People's idea of a middling PL player is baffling! Bear in mind there's 500+ of them at any one time.

Neither Zaha nor Barnes are in the middle of that!

zaha is ****ing rubbish mate. scores like 3 goals a year whilst battling relegation for continuously one of the worst attacking sides in the league. middling was kind tbh. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

zaha is ****ing rubbish mate. scores like 3 goals a year whilst battling relegation for continuously one of the worst attacking sides in the league. middling was kind tbh. 

You're confusing average with overrated. If he played for a side that wasn't full of mediocre, defensive players and god awful attackers his stats would be far better.