Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

14 minutes ago, rachhere said:

He stood out more for me than Hudson Odoi, who of course is getting England caps. What did everyone else think?

Barnes definitely stood out much more in this game, but CHO has 3 goals 5 assists in all competitions with just 7 starts and 10 sub appearances and is only 19 years old. That is impressive for a young player and Bayern Munich bid 35m for him for a reason, even if as of right now he's not living up to the hype.

Him and Sancho tore it up for England when we on the U20 world cup (I think it was that one) and because Sancho has already proven himself as an Elite player (first player in Europe to get to 10 goals + assists), the hype train is in overdrive for Hudson-Odoi.

I would say that if CHO deserved an England cap, then so does Barnes, especially on recent form. Will be interesting to see if he gets one, he's a definitely got a chance of sneaking into that European Championships squad.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

Guest An Sionnach

Don't forget the golden rule , every Leicester player who gets picked for England loses form . In my memory only Banks and Linekar have been exceptions. It seems to make no difference to Ricci, Jonny and Caglar playing for their countries. Its a curse on us.

I wouldnt worry about England yet, no point. We all know Southgate will play Henderson, Barkley and Winks in the middle when he should be squeezing in both Grealish and Maddison. As for where Barnes could play Sterling and Rashford if fit both get ahead of him. 

Edited by Tommy G
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, FOXSE said:

Barnes' goals and assists stats are now better than Daniel James at man u... And he is supposed to be unbelievable!

Dan James is bang average and shouldn't be playing for a club like that, not yet anyway, he should've gone to a Bournemouth type of side before making the next step, he's had far too big a demand on him this season given his lack of experience.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

This time next year he's going to be the absolute business. Won't be long before Sky are mocking up photos of him in other club's shirts. 

I agree, I think he will make a fair few people look quite silly soon. 

• Like 1

In a season with so many collective and individual stories of success, I personally feel that in the latter half of the season, Barnes has genuinely come out on top. I think more recently we've seen a sense of belonging - it will have taken time to build, given the stature/quality of some of the players in our starting 11, but you get the impression that he's got the self-belief required to succeed at the highest level. His power and acceleration is absolutely frightening and he seems to eat up ground quicker than any other player in the team. But the difference now is that he's become so much more incisive and shows a maturity/intelligence that only comes through experience. Without slandering him too much, this is the key attribute that Gray hasn't particularly sparked within. Naturally he'll be gutted he didn't bury that chance to win the game and you could argue that he's still got a fair way to come in terms of being clinical, but this is all part of his learning curve. According to the PL stats page, he's missed '6 big chances'. I don't give it long before he's burying those - he should feel right at home in the Champions League in no time. 

42 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

There will be a game before the end of the season where every shot goes in and he grabs at least a hat-trick.

i have been backing this at about 500/1-1000/1 every week for over a year now. so i’ll let you know the day that i forget. cos that’s when he nails it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

How many more goals and assists this season does Harvey need to force his way in to Euro 2020 reckoning? I didn't think he'd come in to consideration yet but I can easily see him getting another 5 goals and a few assists by April/May and that surely would make him one of the most dangerous wide players England currently has? If he carries on this form it's possibly come slightly too late for the Euros but hopefully it's only a matter of time he gets called up.

On 22/01/2020 at 14:19, Munshi said:

Barnes has the talent. Confidence has been low recently not helped by our fans who moan every time he touches the ball. Support him and he’ll go all the way to the top imo.

Slowly but surely..

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

How many more goals and assists this season does Harvey need to force his way in to Euro 2020 reckoning? I didn't think he'd come in to consideration yet but I can easily see him getting another 5 goals and a few assists by April/May and that surely would make him one of the most dangerous wide players England currently has? If he carries on this form it's possibly come slightly too late for the Euros but hopefully it's only a matter of time he gets called up.

Unfortunately, he will never get a look in in out wide.  He may get a call up eventually but wont start games whilst Sancho and Sterling  are still available. It would be a great experience for him to go along, but id be worried for him playing at that level (at the moment). The step up would be far too quick and England fans arent forgiving in anyway.  

IMO it would be more beneficial to let him fully develop before plunging him in the deep end

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Nah unless he suddenly became Messi hes not getting called up for the Euros, I imagine after the inevitable failure there he'll be some of the new blood brought in to freshen things up.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Seriously doubt it, unfortunately.

The starting positions are gonna be locked down by Sancho and Sterling - rightly so - and he'll be competing for the bench spot with the likes of Hudson-Odoi, Rashford, Lingard (lol), Redmond, Reiss Nelson, Sessegnon, even Demarai Gray (plus a few others). He's probably one of the better ones on that list, but we all know that that doesn't necessarily mean he's the most likely to go. Especially as we very rarely call up players for a tournament without them getting game-time first, and I can't see him getting a call-up for the next round of internationals.

• Like 1

Would be great recognition and experience for him, but think its too soon. Rashford, Sancho, Sterling, Grealish and even Redmond should probably be ahead of him currently. 

But I can see why its been mentioned, Southgate has given Hudson-Odoi games who isn't really any better than Barnes currently.