Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Townsend

Townsend seems to me like one of those signings that's well worth pursuing if he's out of contract on a free. Paying what will likely be a big transfer fee would be so underwhelming. 

Surely for the money there is way better for us out there. 

Edited by desertfox2
Other
  • Like 2

Looks like Brendan is going for a safety first approach, signing proven players with little risk. Hard to get excited about this as fans can already see the glass ceiling with the players ability. The strategy can work in the short term but we will be fleeced for price and I think we all feel that we are still one top class player away from what we want to achieve. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

Watched quite a bit of the AFCON and Chukwueze looked frightening, he'd be a great signing and someone Rodgers would work wonders with in terms of developing.

Some tasty looking options there, Sarr, Oyarzabal, Carrasco (apparently his club only want £25m for him), Lozano and Bailey.

Any of Ziyech, Bergwijn, Neres or Under would be quite a coup but can see them being very hard to obtain.

Same. We should look at that right winger playing for Algeria, scored that 95th min freekick other night. He looks great

Just remember what ranieri got out of players such as huth/Simpson/Morgan/ etc during the title winning season. I see Rogers being able to do similar with people like Perez and Townsend should he sign! We don’t need individual superstars, we need people who fit into what the team is about! Just look at Manchester United, pogba and lingard etc are very arrogant/all for themselves. I’d rather we sign a tried and tested good pro who would still have point to prove than an egotistical muppet like pogba. 

Edited by Lesta2014

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

We were linked with him last summer before we got Ghezzal, I didn’t think he was ready to make the step up to English football then though, but now he looks decent. Villa have been linked with him a fair bit so don’t be shocked if he ends up there. 

Yeah maybe would be a bit of a gamble based on one tournament as haven't seen anything of him apart from that.  Not sure how much the Turkish outfit would want for him.

5 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Depends how much impact he has on transfers, haven’t heard much in the news about his influence so far, but could just be going under the radar. 

Congerton and Rodgers will be open (from what I've heard they're quite inclusive) to the scouts views, and that would include Mladen. Townsend is 28,  they'd be little resale value after the contract . Doesn't fit our current age model, there's plenty of talent in Europe under 26 at a similar price range with more upside.

Edited by RoyFox

9 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Depends how much impact he has on transfers, haven’t heard much in the news about his influence so far, but could just be going under the radar. 

Also, why not? Has he publicly criticised Townsend before? Plus, stats men would probably like Townsend, for all the ground he covers being a grafter etc. 

Townsend in the analytics community is ridiculed for his shot locations, he's as bad as Gray for shooting from 35 yards out, however that could be coached out

Edited by RoyFox

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Ric Flair's £30-35m Wingers List

1) Brais Mendez (£22m release clause

2) Samuel Chukwueze

3) Ismaila Sarr

4) Hakim Ziyech (rumoured 35m euro release clause)

5) Suso (36m euro release clause)

6) Robert Skov

7) Andreas Skov Olsen

8) Mikel Oyarzabal

9) Florian Thauvin

10) Maxwell Cornet

11) Steven Bergwijn

12) Yannick Carrasco

13) Bertrand Traore

14) Bruma

15) Malcom

Then there's slightly less attainable players that would cost around the £35-50m which I personally think would be worth pushing the boat out for once we sell Maguire. Some may not fancy the gig, but it's Brendan we are talking about in charge, players won't stand a chance of not wanting it.

16) Hirving Lozano

17) Ante Rebic

18) Leon Bailey

19) David Neres

20) Cengiz Under

Would somebody please check on @SheppyFox ? Ric you heartless bastard, you know this kind of thing can be deadly.

• Haha 2

We’ve shown too much ambition with Tielemans & Perez to regress to signing players of Townsends quality. I am a fan of Townsend but honestly we’re kicking on from where we were, he’s stuck where we were quality wise.

• Like 1

I agree that he would not change the dynamic or add quality above what we already have but if he was up for grabs for less than £20M might be worth a punt as a solid squad member  if we can move Ghezzal and Gray on. otherwise we may as well stick with what we have and put the money to better use.

• Like 2

A swap deal with Gray I’d probably take, otherwise doesn’t seem much point.

As others have said, unless we’re going to go all out and invest heavily in a high quality winger who’s going to be a guaranteed starter and take us to the next level, then no point spending anything on another workman-like winger that we already possess.

Edited by Ben.

5 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Same. We should look at that right winger playing for Algeria, scored that 95th min freekick other night. He looks great

I liked the look of the player they replaced Mahrez with in the earlier games, Adam Ounas. I've been told by my son he's a CAM, but did well on the wing too.