Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

30-50m Winger

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I can't agree with this really. As soon as Tielemans is in, a winger is the most vital signing. 

A striker would be back up, a winger would start. It's the position we lack the most quality in. I'm actually not even convinced Barnes is good enough to be starting every game if we want to push top six to be honest. 

We need to go out and sign some genuine quality, it's such an important position to us, we need our own Felipe Andersen, West Ham have done a lot of shit business but that was inspired. 

I'm not suggesting we have great wingers but a striker would still be more of a concern. Vardy might not be too far away from a suspension or injury. You only have to go back Liverpool and West Ham (first half) at home last year as to how weakened we are without him.

At least in the midfield area we an compensate somewhat for the limitations of Gray and Ghezzal as long as Maddison, Tielemans (hopefully!) and N'didi are on top form. Even Barnes has put in respectable if not quite Mahrez level displays.

In the long term it would be essential to bring in another winger but it's unlikely we'll get all 3 positions nailed down in 6 weeks time. I would be a lot more concerned above all else if there is no Plan B without Vardy.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Even with Vardy we are a good 15-20 goals short of getting near top 6, defensively we'll always be a team that concedes goals as we aren't a pragmatic team. We don't have a manager who is interested in that nor the players particularly. You are right if Vardy is injured we are in trouble, but we still need to score more goals and out wide is the obvious weakness. We simply have to improve our starting XI and in particular right wing. We also need another striker but the winger is the bigger priority.

I agree with this point in general but think having Tielemans permanently over the course of a full season will massively help this. His assist numbers speak for them self and I can see him going for 7-10 goals across the full season which, Maddison aside, is far superior to anything the other midfielders or wingers will offer. I agree 100% another wide man is a massive priority for us.

1 hour ago, Blue ROI said:

I'm not suggesting we have great wingers but a striker would still be more of a concern. Vardy might not be too far away from a suspension or injury. You only have to go back Liverpool and West Ham (first half) at home last year as to how weakened we are without him.

At least in the midfield area we an compensate somewhat for the limitations of Gray and Ghezzal as long as Maddison, Tielemans (hopefully!) and N'didi are on top form. Even Barnes has put in respectable if not quite Mahrez level displays.

In the long term it would be essential to bring in another winger but it's unlikely we'll get all 3 positions nailed down in 6 weeks time. I would be a lot more concerned above all else if there is no Plan B without Vardy.

Where are the extra 20 goals going to come from then? Enlighten me.

Just now, Gerard said:

70 PL goals is what we need in the team, only Arsenal outside the top two managed more than that last season with 73 goals. 

20 from Vardy

20 from the wingers

15 from Maddison and Tielemans

An average of three each from the holding midfielder and the defence.

The only place this doesn't look achievable is from our current wingers. 

Ideally I'd like us to test Bournemouth's resolve with Ryan Fraser as he only has a year left on his contract by offering a swap deal involving Demarai Gray. Gray had a good tournament recently and Eddie Howe is a long term admirer, it's possible there is a deal there to be done.

I'd still look for another top quality winger if we can identify someone who ticks most of the boxes. I'd love to see us start with Fraser and AN Other with Barnes and Albrighton pushing them. 

But but but we need another striker to not play instead, that will get us to the promise land.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

But but but we need another striker to not play instead, that will get us to the promise land.

I see a lot of people advocating Che Adams or some other expensive signing. Assuming we sign Tielemans we're pretty much set as a 4-1-4-1 team with the four behind Vardy will be expected to be more offensive and provide plenty of goals and assists. We could spend £40m on a striker to warm the bench because whoever we sign won't be getting in ahead of Vardy. 

I've said on here more times than I care to remember that if BR is happy for Iheanacho to be Vardy's back up then so am I. He's seen enough to form an opinion on whether there is a player worth persevering with there. 

Harvey Barnes may become that player who gives us 10 goals and 10 assists over a season but our aspirations should be to have two attacking wide players that between them contribute on average a goal or an assist per game between them a season. If you compare our side to Liverpool or Man City we're not a million miles away man for man but the position that we're light years away is that their wide players post ridiculous numbers and ours don't. We need our own Salah, Sterling, Mane, Sane, Mahrez, etc to threaten a top four place. 

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 4

Personally I don't give a $$$$ where the goals come from. Its the mentality of the team that needs to change.

Just give me attacking players with technical ability and hunger. Rodgers will sort it out. Preseason please.:)

22 minutes ago, Billy Big Balls said:

If a Gray Fraser swap deal was possible I'd be well up for that. If we could line up:

Schmeichel 

Pereira Evans Maguire Chilwell 

Tielemans Ndidi Maddison

New winger vardy fraser 

I genuinely think that team could finish 4th. 

Barnes would slot in

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I see a lot of people advocating Che Adams or some other expensive signing. Assuming we sign Tielemans we're pretty much set as a 4-1-4-1 team with the four behind Vardy will be expected to be more offensive and provide plenty of goals and assists. We could spend £40m on a striker to warm the bench because whoever we sign won't be getting in ahead of Vardy. 

I've said on here more times than I care to remember that if BR is happy for Iheanacho to be Vardy's back up then so am I. He's seen enough to form an opinion on whether there is a player worth persevering with there. 

Harvey Barnes may become that player who gives us 10 goals and 10 assists over a season but our aspirations should be to have two attacking wide players that between them contribute on average a goal or an assist per game between them a season. If you compare our side to Liverpool or Man City we're not a million miles away man for man but the position that we're light years away is that their wide players post ridiculous numbers and ours don't. We need our own Salah, Sterling, Mane, Sane, Mahrez, etc to threaten a top four place. 

Liverpool. Its because they're not just wide players but contribute all across the front three. Any one of those players have the basically the same technical ability as the other. Interchangeable. They all play as a unit similar to the midfield and the defense. We need to buy players based on their technical ability and mentality not what position they've played before.

Edited by SO1

31 minutes ago, Babylon said:

● From midnight, a tweak to Premier League Financial Fair Play rules takes effect — increasing the scope for clubs to buy players. Since 2013, clubs have been limited by Short Term Cost Control (STCC) regulations that meant any 12-month increase in player wages of above £7m had to be funded by new commercial deals.

● The Premier League’s next three-year financial window begins tomorrow, with STCC removed - leaving clubs having to merely adhere to existing FFP strictures by which they must limit any losses to £105m over three years. A summer transfer splurge is now possible without having to worry about a short-term revenue uplift to cover it.

Makes spending easier now!

Huh. Great spot @Babylon this would go a long way to explaining why most sides in the PL haven't made big moves for players yet. Waiting for this deadline to pass perhaps?

What does this actually mean for us then?

Edited by CloudFox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CloudFox said:

Huh. Great spot @Babylon this would go a long way to put explaining why most sides in the PL haven't made big moves for players yet. Waiting for this deadline to pass perhaps?

Messsi!

3 minutes ago, bfox said:

Barnes would slot in

I'm not sure barnes is ready to be relyed on every week in a team wanting top 6. I rate him massively and think his has a very high ceiling but I don't think he's ready. I think we should rotate between 3 options (barnes and 2 new wingers) and have Albrighton as a different option. Barnes to be at least on the bench every week and getting 20/30 minutes every game and being the first option in with injuries or rotation. 

2 minutes ago, Billy Big Balls said:

I'm not sure barnes is ready to be relyed on every week in a team wanting top 6. I rate him massively and think his has a very high ceiling but I don't think he's ready. I think we should rotate between 3 options (barnes and 2 new wingers) and have Albrighton as a different option. Barnes to be at least on the bench every week and getting 20/30 minutes every game and being the first option in with injuries or rotation. 

He was very unlucky to have only scored once since he came back, he was electric and linked up nicely with Madders and Chilly. He's clearly a confidence player and not sure dropping him to the bench would do him any good at the minute. I'd give him the nod for the first few games to see how gets on. I'd have a winger to potentially replace Gray or challenge him. With Albrighton as cover. 

1 hour ago, CloudFox said:

Huh. Great spot @Babylon this would go a long way to explaining why most sides in the PL haven't made big moves for players yet. Waiting for this deadline to pass perhaps?

That we’ll spend like we’ve never spent before. It’ll be a 100+ million window as we want 3 more players after Justin and Youri. 

2 hours ago, SO1 said:

Personally I don't give a $$$$ where the goals come from. Its the mentality of the team that needs to change.

Just give me attacking players with technical ability and hunger. Rodgers will sort it out. Preseason please.:)

agreed. if we don’t win every pre-season game 9-0 then it’s Rodgers out for me! ?

Edited by MPH

Just now, MPH said:

agreed. if we don’t win every pre-season game 9-0 then it’s Rodgers out for me! ?

If we play good attacking football with some final third positivity I’ll be happy.

I do do wonder though signings dependent if we could really move some mountains this season.

Fantastic time to be a Leicester fan!

Fraser is undoubtedly good but his strength as a winger is his creativity.  Assuming we buy Tielemans, we will already have 4 serious chance creators in the 1st 11 (Maddison Tielemans Barnes Ricardo) but only 1 player who can consistently finish his chances (Vardy). I'd like more of a goalscorer in the mould of Richarlison to come in. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Fraser is undoubtedly good but his strength as a winger is his creativity.  Assuming we buy Tielemans, we will already have 4 serious chance creators in the 1st 11 (Maddison Tielemans Barnes Ricardo) but only 1 player who can consistently finish his chances (Vardy). I'd like more of a goalscorer in the mould of Richarlison to come in. 

I agree 100% but I think he's got more to his game than just creativity. He's lightning fast and is a very decent finisher. In our 433 he'd be higher up the pitch while attacking than he is in Bournemouth's 442 so he would naturally get into more goalscoring positions. Imagine his pace getting in behind with Madders or Tielemans playing him through. That gives me shivers! 

1 minute ago, Billy Big Balls said:

I agree 100% but I think he's got more to his game than just creativity. He's lightning fast and is a very decent finisher. In our 433 he'd be higher up the pitch while attacking than he is in Bournemouth's 442 so he would naturally get into more goalscoring positions. Imagine his pace getting in behind with Madders or Tielemans playing him through. That gives me shivers! 

That's true enough. He'd certainly be "reasonably" priced considered it's his last year of contract.