Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

30-50m Winger

Whenever I read that we're spending big on a winger, my first guess is always Leon Bailey. Linked before on numerous windows and exactly fits the age and ability profile. My wildcard guess would be Yannick Carrasco, although that's based purely off the Belgian connection with Tielemans (hopefully) being in the squad and is also very ambitious. Pipe dream.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LCCFox96 said:

Whenever I read that we're spending big on a winger, my first guess is always Leon Bailey. Linked before on numerous windows and exactly fits the age and ability profile. My wildcard guess would be Yannick Carrasco, although that's based purely off the Belgian connection with Tielemans (hopefully) being in the squad and is also very ambitious. Pipe dream.

My Grandad once told me that the only people who couldn’t dream are the dead. So dream on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's a bit like the debate over who you would sell if you had to (Maguire,Maddison or Ricardo).

Tielemans is the most vital signing to make. A striker to go alongside Vardy is the next priority. A decent winger would be ideal but its not as important as the other two. 

Even without Mahrez we beat Chelsea, Man City and drew with Liverpool all before Youri arrived. There's not many teams that could boast about that last season. Our form went up a notch not long after. If the rest of the attacking options are sound we could get by without a top class right winger in the short term.

Its hard to think of Ghezzal as anything but a flop of course but he did have a few good moments as did Gray. The signs don't look good for either player but with a pre season under their belt they might come in handy if we can keep the rest of the team intact. Review things in January if it ain't to our liking.

Edited by Blue ROI
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

It's a bit like the debate over who you would sell if you had to (Maguire,Maddison or Ricardo).

Tielemans is the most vital signing to make. A striker to go alongside Vardy is the next priority. A decent winger would be ideal but its not as important as the other two. 

Even without Mahrez we beat Chelsea, Man City and drew with Liverpool all before Youri arrived. There's not many teams that could boast about that last season. Our form went up a notch not long after. If the rest of the attacking options are sound we could get by without a top class right winger in the short term.

Its hard to think of Ghezzal as a flop of course but he did have a few good moments as did Gray. The signs don't look good for either player but with a pre season under their belt they might come in handy if we can keep the rest of the team intact. Review things in January if it ain't to our liking.

I get where you are coming from and agree with most of this, however the big teams we beat last season, we did so without playing football, arguably. We just had the same ‘soak it up’ and ‘play on the break’  - which we are not attempting to buy Youri to do as such. We’re as you I’m sure know, are attempting to transition into a team that plays like the top 6 clubs. In that same season we lost to minnows and shite trying to play actual football. The wins against the big clubs I don’t think are a barometer for any future success moving forward in terms of how BR wants us to play against all the sides.

Apologies if this post sounds patronising - I’ve just got back from a night out! 

2 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

Thanks, that one nearly sent scalding tea out of my nostrils and eye sockets ?

Mmm tea...

*Considers for a short moment putting gin down and boiling the kettle but instead reaches for tobacco tin.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Mmm tea...

*Considers for a short moment putting gin down and boiling the kettle but instead reaches for tobacco tin.

Dont do it, coming in from a night out is considerably different to having a house full of 10 year olds for a kids birthday party followed by an early start tomorrow at alton towers.

Stick with the gin chap, im off to bed.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

Kasper

Chilwell

Maguire

Evans

Riccy P

Barnes

Ndidi

Tielemans

Bailey

Maddison

Vardy

I’ll have some Vaseline mailed to Wolverhampton immediately, first class signed for.

You won’t need the vas if you’re going to watch us in Wolverhampton for first game of season 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

I get where you are coming from and agree with most of this, however the big teams we beat last season, we did so without playing football, arguably. We just had the same ‘soak it up’ and ‘play on the break’  - which we are not attempting to buy Youri to do as such. We’re as you I’m sure know, are attempting to transition into a team that plays like the top 6 clubs. In that same season we lost to minnows and shite trying to play actual football. The wins against the big clubs I don’t think are a barometer for any future success moving forward in terms of how BR wants us to play against all the sides.

Apologies if this post sounds patronising - I’ve just got back from a night out! 

I think you're right but at the same time, even with two or three more players, a gung ho approach against Man City or Liverpool next season would still only end one way imo. As the original poster said, Tielemans and a striker are a priority whereas a winger would be the icing on the cake. I don't see them spending the amount of money it would take and I don't blame them, it's a business and not a hobby. They're building slowly and sustainably. 

2 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

You know what I thought he'd moved but checked transfer market and it still had him at Gladbach. 

I also noticed that with Julian Brandt who is still showing as being at Leverkusen and I thought I was going mad. 

20 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I can't agree with this really. As soon as Tielemans is in, a winger is the most vital signing. 

A striker would be back up, a winger would start. It's the position we lack the most quality in. I'm actually not even convinced Barnes is good enough to be starting every game if we want to push top six to be honest. 

We need to go out and sign some genuine quality, it's such an important position to us, we need our own Felipe Andersen, West Ham have done a lot of shit business but that was inspired. 

If you don't score goals you not only forget top 6 you can easily become relegation fodder when confidence goes, though on paper there's a lot of teams going to be worse than us. If Vardy gets injured we don't score goals. If need be we could even play without wingers they are not essential. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

If you don't score goals you not only forget top 6 you can easily become relegation fodder when confidence goes, though on paper there's a lot of teams going to be worse than us. If Vardy gets injured we don't score goals. If need be we could even play without wingers they are not essential. 

Even with Vardy we are a good 15-20 goals short of getting near top 6, defensively we'll always be a team that concedes goals as we aren't a pragmatic team. We don't have a manager who is interested in that nor the players particularly. You are right if Vardy is injured we are in trouble, but we still need to score more goals and out wide is the obvious weakness. We simply have to improve our starting XI and in particular right wing. We also need another striker but the winger is the bigger priority.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

If Vardy gets a long term injury then our chances of the top six vanish with him whether we sign a striker or not. If BR is more than happy to rely on Iheanacho as our second striker and decides not to buy then I'm happy with that. There has been evidence Iheanacho is a player but we've not seen enough of it for a while, maybe BR will coax it out of him?

Assuming we sign Tielemans then our two wingers are the weakest spot in the team. We have a top class GK and ST and our Midfield three could barely be improved upon, the same can be said about our back four. In an ideal situation we sign a winger who automatically becomes one of the best players in the team and we let the others compete to play in the other spot. A winger that could contribute either a goal or an assist every other game would be ideal for us. 

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

I'll get laughed off for this but if Rodgers can get confidence back in to Iheanacho (and that's definitely an IF) then I genuinely think he's probably a better striker than Gray is a winger at this level. 

I'd much rather have Iheanacho as backup to Vardy than Gray starting. 

Both very much underachieving ....   if BR can sort this pair out I will be VERY impressed ...

And wow would it set this team up !!