Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

30-50m Winger

14 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

the big teams we beat last season, we did so without playing football, arguably. We just had the same ‘soak it up’ and ‘play on the break’  - which we are not attempting to buy Youri to do as such. We’re as you I’m sure know, are attempting to transition into a team that plays like the top 6 clubs. In that same season we lost to minnows and shite trying to play actual football. The wins against the big clubs I don’t think are a barometer for any future success moving forward in terms of how BR wants us to play against all the sides.

Rodgers was very pragmatic against our “big six” opponents.  Defensive lineups were played.  But we were happy to keep the ball.

In the season-ending trio of matches, Albrighton and Choudhury started all three, and Barnes and Gray were hardly used.  Yet we had most of the ball (66-34) v Arsenal (partly due to the extra man), and split possession (47-53) v Chelsea.  The sit, counter and waste time approach was only used v Man City (39-61) -- probably still more possession than most visitors have at the Etihad.

So -- if we did have more productive winger(s), it’s a tough guess how much BR would use them against the top sides.  Only one way to find out ...

2 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Rodgers was very pragmatic against our “big six” opponents.  Defensive lineups were played.  But we were happy to keep the ball.

In the season-ending trio of matches, Albrighton and Choudhury started all three, and Barnes and Gray were hardly used.  Yet we had most of the ball (66-34) v Arsenal (partly due to the extra man), and split possession (47-53) v Chelsea.  The sit, counter and waste time approach was only used v Man City (39-61) -- probably still more possession than most visitors have at the Etihad.

So -- if we did have more productive winger(s), it’s a tough guess how much BR would use them against the top sides.  Only one way to find out ...

Yeah I was really referring to the pre Brendan era in relation to Puel’s successes against the big sides. You are right though in your response... Didn’t BR play Madders on the wing a few times toward the end of last season?

9 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Yeah I was really referring to the pre Brendan era in relation to Puel’s successes against the big sides. You are right though in your response... Didn’t BR play Madders on the wing a few times toward the end of last season?

Can't recall which matches we experimented with that flavor -- I do recall not developing much of a taste for it !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lovejoy said:

https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/first-team/club-statement-on-ryan-fraser

General consensus from Bournemouth is that Fraser will be staying for the next season come what may, hence all talk of him leaving was scrapped after this came out. Quite unusual for a club to come out with a statement like this.

I don’t think that reads like that at all.

For me, it’s a player running down his contract who doesn’t want to sign another one and will move. That piece just says to me that the club are saying there’s been an offer on the table and we are hoping he’ll sign but at the moment he’s a Bournemouth player.

Looks like the club are trying to defend themselves from accusations from fans that they are not doing anything to try and keep him.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I don’t think that reads like that at all.

For me, it’s a player running down his contract who doesn’t want to sign another one and will move. That piece just says to me that the club are saying there’s been an offer on the table and we are hoping he’ll sign but at the moment he’s a Bournemouth player.

Looks like the club are trying to defend themselves from accusations from fans that they are not doing anything to try and keep him.

When you have a player who has one year left and worth a considerable sum of money you either want to sell or get him to sign a contract. Fraser is probably happy enough to see his contract out and move on a Bosman so maybe reluctant to move unless it's a top club.

For sure though Bournemouth would welcome a decent offer for him if he point blank refuses to sign. 

Edited by Gerard

3 minutes ago, Gerard said:

When you have a player who has one year left and worth a considerable sum of money you either want to sell or get him to sign a contract. Fraser is probably happy enough to see his contract out and move on a Bosman so maybe reluctant to move unless it's a top club.

For sure though Bournemouth would welcome a decent offer for him if he point blank refuses to sign. 

£5m and Demarai Gray, they'd snap our hands off.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MPH said:

agreed. if we don’t win every pre-season game 9-0 then it’s Rodgers out for me! ?

W/ L / D who cares. Experimentation and players being brave and taking chances. How can we learn without making mistakes. Now's the time for that.

Rodgers has the time now to really start imposing his philosophy on the club/players. Peace and Love Grasshopper. The door to a new world has begun to open.

5 hours ago, Babylon said:

● From midnight, a tweak to Premier League Financial Fair Play rules takes effect — increasing the scope for clubs to buy players. Since 2013, clubs have been limited by Short Term Cost Control (STCC) regulations that meant any 12-month increase in player wages of above £7m had to be funded by new commercial deals.

● The Premier League’s next three-year financial window begins tomorrow, with STCC removed - leaving clubs having to merely adhere to existing FFP strictures by which they must limit any losses to £105m over three years. A summer transfer splurge is now possible without having to worry about a short-term revenue uplift to cover it.

Makes spending easier now!

explains the rumours regarding us spending 9 figures this summer. The board must see we are as close as we will ever be with regards to playing squad & are going to spend big to get there.

6 hours ago, Babylon said:

● From midnight, a tweak to Premier League Financial Fair Play rules takes effect — increasing the scope for clubs to buy players. Since 2013, clubs have been limited by Short Term Cost Control (STCC) regulations that meant any 12-month increase in player wages of above £7m had to be funded by new commercial deals.

● The Premier League’s next three-year financial window begins tomorrow, with STCC removed - leaving clubs having to merely adhere to existing FFP strictures by which they must limit any losses to £105m over three years. A summer transfer splurge is now possible without having to worry about a short-term revenue uplift to cover it.

Makes spending easier now!

I'd have been more impressed if you'd have provided that info in Haiku form Babs, to satisfy the Pam Ayres gang lol

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, FantasticMrFox&Son said:

Memphis Depay might be looking for a move, would you take him if he WAS available ??

Fits criteria (young winger who likes to cut inside and isn't afraid to shoot etc) but I'm sure I read Liverpool and Wolves are looking into signing him and wasnt impressed with him last season.

1 minute ago, FantasticMrFox&Son said:

Memphis Depay might be looking for a move, would you take him if he WAS available ??

Talent-wise of course. But he's got a serious arrogance and self importance issue. No way he'd come here and fit in with the squad without rocking the boat. 

2 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

Promes, Thauvin, Bailey, Pavon. All of those please, bin off Gray.

Should have gone for Promes last summer! Pavon has gone right off the boil by all accounts. I still think Brahimi would be a good shout, and Sarr seems like a good prospect. I have to admit I do like the idea of dangling Gray as a carrot for Bournemouth to swap Fraser, but I don’t think we will do

• Like 1