Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Adrien Silva

7 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Football is all about "horse trading", as long as all parties end up being happy with their new destination and contracts then who cares about the ego thing of being a makeweight. 

I think in our case, we could also do with some 'Donkey trading'...………..

• Haha 1

I can understand his point of view here, (if indeed this is what he's thinking and not just BS).

He's a quality player with a proven track record who made a mistake coming to the Premier league, it doesn't mean he should be treated as a joke.

For us though, he's just a better version of Yuki Abe - technically good and easy on the eye - one for the purists, but ultimately has little significant effect on a game which doesn't cut it in the PL. He should go back to a slower league where possession is king and he will thrive again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Plus he's a thirty something international professional footballer that for some mystifying reason can't complete a ten yard pass without the ball dying on him like he's a toddler kicking a brick. 

Maybe a tad harsh buddy?

lol

I'm with Finnegan there. His passing has been atrocious when he's played for us. 

The scouting team had a stinker looking at his adaptability to English football. Wrong side of 25. With a career of playing in Portugal and Israel. 26 caps for the national team isn't great at 30. 

13 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I mean, all hyperbole aside, it is mind boggling. 

The amount of his passes, as a playmaker, that just fail to carry is utterly bizarre. 

I get your point, and I think he should probably move on but his passing accuarcy is the third best at the club, better than Tielemans.  Granted he's played fewer minutes but he is a technically sound player.  Just wrong player, worng time and bad luck more than aything I reckon.  X

Edited by RumbleFox

I read about this treated unfairly bullshit with regards to Silva and a very similar situation with Musa after his transfer, about how badly LCFC treated him. I do hope this doesn't cause us potential problems in getting Y.T. I can see this going on till the very last day... uuhh

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

I get your point, and I think he should probably move on but his passing accuarcy is the third best at the club, better than Tielemans.  Granted he's played fewer minutes but he is a technically sound player.  Just wrong player, worng time and bad luck more than aything I reckon.  X

Tielemans plays challenging passes, long passes, through balls, he's always looking to go forwards. Silva plays water carrier passes, he travels a few yards with the ball and looks to play short one-twos. 

Once or twice per game he's played for us he'll attempt a longer pass and just completely misjudge the weight and it'll just die short. It's the most bizarre thing I've seen in a while. It happens once or twice ever you think he just miscued it but it's consistent. 

What's weird is that I think he's actually quite technically proficient, he's got good ball control, he can dribble pretty well, he can normally strike a ball alright. But then he'll just absolutely tap a pass. 

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Tielemans plays challenging passes, long passes, through balls, he's always looking to go forwards. Silva plays water carrier passes, he travels a few yards with the ball and looks to play short one-twos. 

Once or twice per game he's played for us he'll attempt a longer pass and just completely misjudge the weight and it'll just die short. It's the most bizarre thing I've seen in a while. It happens once or twice ever you think he just miscued it but it's consistent. 

What's weird is that I think he's actually quite technically proficient, he's got good ball control, he can dribble pretty well, he can normally strike a ball alright. But then he'll just absolutely tap a pass. 

Hi

I am not arguing with any of what you are saying, I think we should move him on and Tielemans is a far better player.  I am just saying it's unfair to say he is a terrible passer when objectively he is not.  I am all for constructive criticisms of players and you are a great poster but someitmes players get unfiarly labelled with something and it becomes a stick to beat them with (Gray being mardy, etc).  He may be slow, he may be uninspiring, he may not be up to PL standard but a bad passer he is not.  X

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Hi

I am not arguing with any of what you are saying, I think we should move him on and Tielemans is a far better player.  I am just saying it's unfair to say he is a terrible passer when objectively he is not.  I am all for constructive criticisms of players and you are a great poster but someitmes players get unfiarly labelled with something and it becomes a stick to beat them with (Gray being mardy, etc).  He may be slow, he may be uninspiring, he may not be up to PL standard but a bad passer he is not.  X

Hmm. I'm not suggesting he's a bad passer, I never used those words, but I do think you should stop and consider the statistics you're using for a moment. 

Three of the top five most accurate passers in the Premier League in 18/19 were centre backs. Stones, Laporte and Rudiger. 

Four of the top ten were three Man City defenders (Kyle Walker being the third) and their water carrier / shuttler, Ilkay Gundogan. 

Kevin De Bruyne's pass accuracy was more than 10% lower than Stones, he was the 19th most accurate passer of a football in the Manchester City team. 

David Silva was only the tenth most accurate passer in Manchester Citys team, his accuracy was about 5% less than Stones. However, he weighed in with 8 assists to Stones 0 and played 2.2 key passes a game to Stones 0.2.

Is John Stones the best passer on their team and in the Premier League or is it John Stones job to be a constant option to Man City's players, to receive balls from the wingers and midfielders when they can't beat their man and then to recycle it to Ilkay Gundogan with a short, simple ball? 

Is Ilkay Gundogan the best passing midfielder in the Man City side or is it his job to carry it to De Bruyne, Silva and Silva or go distribute to Sterling, Sane and Mahrez with simple balls for them to provide assists? 

Adrien Silva isn't an awful passer of the ball (although he does hit a few bizarrely lazy and badly timed passes) but nor is he anywhere near the best in our squad. Maddison and Tielemans are considerably better passers of the ball but the stats paint a picture that need to be interpreted through context and not taken at face value. 

Oh and the sample size for Adrien Silva at Leicester is 1 game. If you look at his stats for Monaco vs Tielemans for Leicester, Silva managed 83.2%* accuracy compared to Tielemans 85%. Silva managed 0.4 key passes a game and no assists. Tielemans registered 1.2 key passes a game and 4 assists making him our joint third most productive player in about a third of the starts of those above him. 

(*considering Adrien Silva typically plays the Gundogan role and Tielemans more the David Silva one, that's actually not inspiring. Anecdotally, having watched him play for both Leicester and Monaco I'd describe him as a technically capable passer who is all too often careless and complacent with his passes which is consistent with a shuttler ranking about 83% PA. Papy Mendy registered 88.8%.)

Edit: I'd like to dedicate this post to Wookie and Large Al. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, David Guiza said:

Yeah that makes us a really inviting club to join for prospective players. They'll be queing around the clock tower. 

Only players with bad intentions have anything to fear if we set that precedent. 

10 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

Only players with bad intentions have anything to fear if we set that precedent. 

Or ones who fail to make the grade, pick up an injury, fall out of favour etc. Has Silva really had bad intentions during his time here? Is it his fault we couldn't handle his transfer correctly and set his career back 6 months? If we threw him onto the garbage heap on the back of that I think it would set an uncomfortable precendent. 

In modern football you can throw enough money at most players to turn their heads away from virtually anything, but the treatment of their fellow proffesionals would certainly still come into play. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

We can’t just ‘keep’ players on 80k a week who barley make the bench. We’ll end up like Leeds

Then we'll be in a maize we can never get out of.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Finnegan said:

What about those brain fart passes straight out of play? Not long passes, a.little 10 yards sideways pass straight to the fourth official

Every player does one or two of those/a season....but one per game?!

To Puel's great credit, he (rightly)/rated a barely mobile Matty James ahead of him. If that don't sum up what a dreadful player Silva is, then nothing will

• Like 1

Feel sorry for silva, his career has gone down the pan since signing, and not through any fault of his own, club have let him down.

If the noises are true coming out of his camp, it’s a poor show from both clubs, not discussing it with him, I can’t believe his agent hasn’t been in the thick of the trade from the start though.