Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcnsk

Mario Lemina

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

We have Perez who I feel could cover Maddison and Tielemans if we play 4-1-4-1. He's certainly offensive enough but also has a high work rate and was the top attacking player in the PL last season for tackles and interceptions. We also have Choudhury who will need game time.

I don't mind bringing in a JJ type signing to cover the first XI but prefer a more compact squad were every player has a purpose within the squad rather than blowing another £18m on a Southampton surplus player who is 26 in a few weeks. 

I wonder if Perez can play the number 8 role like Maddison?

27 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

If he could be that 'effective' wouldn't Southampton have played him more last season and be wanting to keep him? Some fans see things that they would wish to be there yet haven't in truth actually ever witnessed it in a player because it's not happened. You shouldn't sign players on the theory that 'if' they could do something they might be quite good. 

Sure but we would be asking different things from him than in the double pivot at Southampton. From what I saw Hasenhüttl likes a defensive duo in there. Romeu and Højbjerg fit that mold better.

You make a good point but every signing is really based on 'if' they can do something. 'If' a young player has the potential to develop, 'If' a superstar has still got it and will be able to adapt to a new way of doing things etc

12 hours ago, Lesta2014 said:

Weren’t we linked with him when he signed for Southampton? Maybe a lazy link or would of been tielmans back up? 

We've been linked with him since before summer 2016 as a replacement/backup for Kanté, and seemingly every window since then.

11 hours ago, Spicer said:

Sure but we would be asking different things from him than in the double pivot at Southampton. From what I saw Hasenhüttl likes a defensive duo in there. Romeu and Højbjerg fit that mold better.

You make a good point but every signing is really based on 'if' they can do something. 'If' a young player has the potential to develop, 'If' a superstar has still got it and will be able to adapt to a new way of doing things etc

Personally I think Rodgers knows exactly what he wants and that he and his team will have the knowledge base to decide, whether a player released by two clubs now, played little by either for whatever reason,  will offer value for money as a bit part player in our squad.

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I always liked this guy but I can’t see where we need him now .....

Agreed. Let's consider him again next summer (wherever he is) when we may need to tweak our Champions League squad.  

Tielemans

Maddison

Choudhury

Ndidi

Mendy

All of the above are definite first team squad members.

Which leaves the below in limbo/waiting to see if they leave.

Silva

King

James 

Unless we shift at minimum 2 of the above, I really can’t see this happening. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see us do this deal for £25m. We wanted him before he went to Saints. 

The aim this season is Europe no matter what by the sounds of things, which means we need to be competitive in both the league and the cups, so another CM wouldn't be a bad thing! 

I'd imagine Mendy would be moved on to make way for this signing too. 

• Like 2

So he seems to be similar-ish to Mendy, a box to box player who starts attacks after retrieving possession. 6ft is a decent height for that, but feel unless it's a bargain it'll be maybe a waste given our need for a winger first?

Can't imagine we'd go through with this. Probably a journalist/agent trying to use us as a smokescreen to get the other clubs to bid. 

We have Maddison, Tielemans, Ndidi, Choudhury, Mendy as central midfielders. Lemina really isn't needed. Worst case scenario is that Silva/King play if really necessary.

I'd rather spend the money elsewhere (towards an out and out winger) as opposed to central midfield now that Tielemans is sorted. It's not an area we need to strengthen any more.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

We won't be getting top six if Silva or King play.

Mendy doesn't have long left on his contract, as we haven't extended it I assume we're looking to move him on.

Agreed. While we have numbers in CM, we may well struggle if Maddison or Tielemans are unavailable.

I think we might have to shell out £5m if Silva plays again, so he may not even be considered. Based on what we've seen, I wouldn't want to rely on him, anyway.

• Like 1

Would be a good signing for us if we were looking for a squad to compete in Europe, but I don't think we need him at the moment, we've got enough midfielders.

2 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

We won't be getting top six if Silva or King play.

Mendy doesn't have long left on his contract, as we haven't extended it I assume we're looking to move him on.

I'm not even sure if King was registered with us to play last season was he? Didnt he give his number to Maddison? 

8 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

You get the impression that no-one at Man Utd has a clue what they're doing. 

Bit scary to think Saints don’t want him but Man United do. Just goes to show you how far they have fallen.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lcfcnsk said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7225001/Mario-Lemina-moves-closer-Southampton-exit-door-left-trip-Austria.html

Mario Lemina moves closer to Southampton exit after being left out of pre-season trip to Austria

Mario Lemina said at the weekend that he is open to leaving Southampton

• The midfielder was an £18m signing from Juventus two years ago 
  • But boss Ralph Hassenhuttl is happy to cash in on the Gabon international  
  • Mario Lemina is heading for the Southampton exit after being left out of their pre-season tour squad.

Midfielder Lemina was a surprise omission from Ralph Hasenhuttl's squad when they departed for Austria on Monday morning.

Southampton signed Lemina, 25, from Juventus for £18million two years ago and though he has shown flashes of his talent he has been unable to nail down a regular spot at St Mary's with his hopes of doing so hampered by injury.

Hasenhuttl is now open to cashing in on the Gabon international and with three years still left on his contract they will look to recoup the fee they paid out.

Southampton have received enquiries from Arsenal, Manchester United and Leicester for Lemina while Atalanta are also keen on bringing him back to Italy.

And Lemina admitted at the weekend he is ready to quit the club, saying: 'I still have another three years of contract. But it is true that I do not rule out the possibility of seeing something else.

'The last four months have not been easy for me, with my injury. The coach put his team together. I want to start afresh. So why not leave?

'We have very good discussions with the club. We are in agreement. If I don't feel good in this project, I can leave.

'They are giving me the opportunity to be able to go elsewhere.' 

Striker Charlie Austin was also omitted from Hasenhuttl's 26-man party for the trip to Austria.

Am I the only one who read this and thought, we're signing Charlie Austin!! lol 

So not wanted by Juventus , Marseille and now Southampton after a very patchy time there,  why is it he's suddenly worth a squad place here?  Haven't we got enough bench warmers here we can't get rid of?  Why blow 15-20m on another one, I thought people were going mental for a winger?

He's supposedly in the main a defensive midfielder, do we really want to deny a promising young player like Choudhury game time for this guy? Can somebody say what it is in his career thus far that could justify this? Or is it just the word 'Juventus' that conjures up a bit of shiny reflected glamour?

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 3

On 09/07/2019 at 11:42, GingerrrFox said:

Tielemans

Maddison

Choudhury

Ndidi

Mendy

All of the above are definite first team squad members.

Which leaves the below in limbo/waiting to see if they leave.

Silva

King

James 

Unless we shift at minimum 2 of the above, I really can’t see this happening. 

I've not seen too much of Lemina but from what I have doesn't seem as if he's pulled up too many trees at Southampton.  Surely giving Choudhury a proper run would be a better approach.  Although he seemed a bit rash at times in the Euros he looks to have everything you want in a modern day EPL midfielder and could be a very good player if polished over the next couple of years.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

I've not seen too much of Lemina but from what I have doesn't seem as if he's pulled up too many trees at Southampton.  Surely giving Choudhury a proper run would be a better approach.  Although he seemed a bit rash at times in the Euros he looks to have everything you want in a modern day EPL midfielder and could be a very good player if polished over the next couple of years.

image.jpeg.56cf148693d61d1d9f3f45fda1a7a5c1.jpeg Its the hair isn`t it? You mean the hair don`t you? (Disclaimer - I have NO hair :thumbup: )

• Haha 1