Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Walshie is God

Soyuncu

42 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

I'm so excited to see him given a proper chance here and develop. 

We could be looking back in 6 months and saying that not signing a HM replacement was the best thing we did in this window. 

I think our top 6 aspirations have clouded some people's thinking and we forget that giving youth and our current players a chance, has really got us to being labelled one of the most exciting young teams in the Premier League. 

It may not work out, but it feels like the right thing to do now and Soyuncu and Benkovic deserve a chance to step up! 

I think if he works on his positioning a little & stops being so rash into tackles he could easily be a top 6 centre half.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Mint23 said:

If this works out well it will be one of the greatest transfer operations ever. We knew last year we were likely to lose HM this summer but rather than wait until we had the money for him and get our priced for the likes of Dunk and Tarkowski we planned ahead and bought 2 players for less that the price of one, giving them a year to settle. This could be a great format going forward too with JJ in to cover Ricardo and Praet In to cover our midfield that will attract big clubs next January/summer. 

Could be:

We contact BR at Celtic a few years ago but the timing wasn't right for a move

Puel installed on a temporary basis

Maguire renewed his contract knowing that he'd be going Utd so we'd get a higher fee

Sayunco and Benkovic were signed in readiness to replace Maguire and phase Morgan out

BR beds Benkovic in at Celtic, we bed Soyuncu in here

Puel sacked, replaced by BR to give him half a season to get to know the club

Maguire sold and we have two ready made replacements.

BR has been managing the club all along without anyone realising.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mint23 said:

If this works out well it will be one of the greatest transfer operations ever. We knew last year we were likely to lose HM this summer but rather than wait until we had the money for him and get our priced for the likes of Dunk and Tarkowski we planned ahead and bought 2 players for less that the price of one, giving them a year to settle. This could be a great format going forward too with JJ in to cover Ricardo and Praet In to cover our midfield that will attract big clubs next January/summer. 

Great post fresh ..from the Mint...!!

Nearly overwhelms my point of Topic..

Not quite though..cos I touched down first...:cool:..:celebrate:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mint23 said:

Good succession planning in theory....theory only spoiled by the fact Rudkin was making desperate phone calls to Burnley and Bournemouth all day Wednesday and, even more worrying, appeared surprised that they quoted exorbitant fees

7 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Good succession planning in theory....theory only spoiled by the fact Rudkin was making desperate phone calls to Burnley and Bournemouth all day Wednesday and, even more worrying, appeared surprised that they quoted exorbitant fees

Is there any proof of this or is it just Sun/Mail/Tabloid speculation as per usual and maybe Rudkin, The Bose and Top actually had acted like a professional business and had good succession planning?? Otherwise why did they spend £30m + last summer on centre half’s they didn’t want/trust?

21 minutes ago, Mint23 said:

Is there any proof of this or is it just Sun/Mail/Tabloid speculation as per usual and maybe Rudkin, The Bose and Top actually had acted like a professional business and had good succession planning?? Otherwise why did they spend £30m + last summer on centre half’s they didn’t want/trust?

Rodgers himself today said as much.

9 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Rodgers himself today said as much.

Think you are reading way too much into his words. 

He said they looked at couple of targets but proved to be too difficult in a tough market and he is happy with what he has, with Soyuncu and Benkovic signed last season to cover in the event of Maguire being sold. 

In my view, it's just a year later than when we thought Maguire might go and we have two young CB's a year older, one who had a great season at Celtic and the other who has trained with the squad for over a year and been involved in a handful of games and full preseason. 

Things are looking pretty good IMO and hopefully one if not both can really do well for us this season. Both rated highly in the game so chances are they could do well.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mint23 said:

Well, in essence, it's our transfer policy. 

Recruiting cheaply before you sell. We have to keep doing this to be successful. 

Next year we may lose another great player, hopefully we'll limit it to just one. 

If he has a great season I can see Maddison going (to Man Utd?). But we've already recruited another 10 with Praet, who's played a slightly different role at Sampdoria, but we also have Barnes who could move to that more central role. 

If we lose Chilwell or Ricardo we now have JJ. 

It would have been fun to see us recruit an expensive replacement for Maguire but I was reassured to see we are confident in our recruitment policy. 

I see Söyüncü being a great success, there's something about him. He has made errors, but so do many players. He'll get more consistent with gametime whilst his ability to break the lines will be of real value now Maguire has gone. 

• Like 1

I do think a lot of people are seeing what they want to see with this guy, rather than seeing what's before them. That's fine. It's human to do so.

He reminds me of Spider Kalac. I had the same dreadful realisation when I first saw him - that this guy actually doesn't know what he's doing.

I genuinely hope you optimists are right and I'm wrong with Soyuncu because from the 3/4 times I've seen him, he looks clueless 

1 minute ago, Paninistickers said:

I do think a lot of people are seeing what they want to see with this guy, rather than seeing what's before them. That's fine. It's human to do so.

He reminds me of Spider Kalac. I had the same dreadful realisation when I first saw him - that this guy actually doesn't know what he's doing.

I genuinely hope you optimists are right and I'm wrong with Soyuncu because from the 3/4 times I've seen him, he looks clueless 

I think that is the key thing. You've seen him 3/4 times. Not saying I have seen his 24 caps for Turkey or his two seasons in the Bundesliga, but he is obviously a talent and well thought of by many, including our very own Jonny Evans. 

I definitely think there is more to be optimistic about him than not, and 3/4 games really isn't enough to decide he looks clueless, which I definitely didn't see. 

• Like 2