Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Walshie is God

Soyuncu

I’m going to support him, and hope he improves, but I do have concerns over him.

For me the main problem is how he comes out of the back 4, at pace, to close down opponents when we are not in possession.

This often seems to result in either giving away a foul (I can see him racking up the cards in the Premier League), or even worse, he quickly gets turned or bypassed by the opposition, so he is then out of position, running back towards his own goal, chasing an opponent down.

I also think his general positioning is quite poor a lot of the time. He quite often seems to be playing “catch up”.

Admitted he has only just turned 23, so he can still improve a lot, and I’m in no way writing him off after a handful of appearances. However, for me, these issues need addressing, and if he is going to be a first choice starter alongside Evans this season, they need addressing quickly.

Personally I wouldn’t be against getting in an experienced Premier League CB in alongside Evans as first choice, and loaning Soyuncu out to a bottom half prem team, until we see more of how he can cope at this level. However,  if he stays in our starting 11, he’ll have my support.

Risky situation really. Do we stick with what we’ve got, trying out either Lord Farquard or Benkovic, both with real little PL experience, or do we go for someone like Ake, Dunk?

I’m sure Brendan knows what he’s doing. Whatever he decides to do I’ll back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sdb said:

Good on the ball, a little all over the shop off it.

Perfectly summed up in one sentence.

The main thing I worry about is his physicality, he got bullied by a League 2 striker the other week, tonight Ilicic bullied him numerous times especially in the first half. Don't think he is very good when balls are played over the top of him either.

The lad has some decent attributes but what matters most is defending, and at this moment in time his defensive skills worry me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

That's the first time we've seen him up against very decent opposition. I don't see any reason for us to urgently splash out a reported £45m on another centre-back that really isn't much better than we've already got.

On that basis Swansea players would all be good enough to be playing in the Prem, Atlanta were a month behind Leicester fitness levels

wouldnt read too much into a pre season Friendly

It's simple really.

You play Soyuncu into form/confidence which make take 6 games or so, but you then have your CB for the next three or four years.

Or

You could mess the bed, panic and buy an average CB for 45M and waste the talent you bought for decent money for this exact scenario.

Cracking game tonight, our defence was solid and our midfield was recking. Ok, maybe on a buzz and all but from the performance against a decent side.. we looked GOOD!

Maybe the beer is talking right now, but i cant remember the last time i was this excited for the season to start. Pereira is a beast and how no one came in for him this season is ... well i dunno .. weird? He is such a good player. 

Maguire is gone now and dont get me wrong when i heard the news i was sad, but in retrospect im glad its Maguire over Chillwell or Ricardo or even Evans. 

Roll on Sunday!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, baldeagle said:

Would one person alone cost us more than a mid table finish over the course of a season ? I think it’s pretty hard  to say . I totally get what your saying but would blooding only one inexperienced prem player In a team scupper that . Who knows . 

It could do if said position is a critical one. There are certain areas I’d say that are far easier to blood players in that wouldn’t cost you as much. There are others where lots and lots of mistakes (striker, keeper, centre back) could be very costly as there aren’t many hiding places.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It could do if said position is a critical one. There are certain areas I’d say that are far easier to blood players in that wouldn’t cost you as much. There are others where lots and lots of mistakes (striker, keeper, centre back) could be very costly as there aren’t many hiding places.

Yep totally get that . It’s a tricky one to be fare . 

He get dagged out of position a lot for me. First half looked shaky , was better 2nd.

In a small (physically) team I think we need someone a little more a bit more dominant in the air. 

Edited by teblin
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, teblin said:

He get dagged out of position a lot for me. First half looked shaky , was better 2nd.

In a small (physically) team I think we need someone a little more a bit more dominant in the air

He's not a bad player but totally different in physique, technique and the way he plays the game to Maguire.

Personally I think we need someone a bit more commanding and who dominates the position a bit more.

Yes, he is certainly no Maguire, he lacks the presence at the back.

Plus points

• Ball playing
  • Seems reasonably quick
  • Strong
  • Is an actual Turkish Prince

Minus points

• Bit positionally ill disciplined (but improving)
  • Do not feel he is a strong presence (leader) in defence
  • Tendency to occasionally be rash
  • Noted he went forward (groovy) and stayed forward when the ball was lost, but not sure on this point
  • Make me crap my pants
  • Is not really a Turkish Prince

Only game time, loo roll  and marrying into a royal family can help with the minus points

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Livid said:

He's not a bad player but totally different in physique, technique and the way he plays the game to Maguire.

Personally I think we need someone a bit more commanding and who dominates the position a bit more.

Benko is a lot taller. Once he is match fit he could be the man. In BR we trust.   No Dunk or Tarkowski please. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Benko is a lot taller. Once he is match fit he could be the man. In BR we trust.   No Dunk or Tarkowski please. 

Need a bit of a reality check. Evans is injury prone, Benkovic is injury prone and for many Morgan is past it. We've just lost one of the best centre backs in the country and will be taking a massive gamble if we don't add some experience to the team.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

It’s the one position in the whole team where i’m not totally comfortable at the moment. Evans aside his three possible partners all have question marks against them, Wes’s age, Soyuncu’s not the quite there and Benkovic is untried, looked good at Celtic but picked up injuries easily. 

Like you i’m not sure Dunk or Tarkowski are the one’s we should be looking at though. 

Edited by Livid