Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
suffolk fox

Nathan Ake

Just now, jayfox26 said:

Of course I'd prefer us to sign a replacement now as we just dont know if Benko and Soyuncu are ready to play regularly for us but we absolutely should not get rinsed like United have been. I'd take Cahill for a season as an option them review again in Jan/next summer when prices may be a little more realistic again. 

I’d take Cahill on a 2 year contract personally. Likelihood is this is Wes’ last season replacing him with experience of another leader would be a good move imo.

Think we are going to have to look abroad and maybe trigger a release clause, as this world record £80million fee is giving clubs dollar sign eyes when we show interest in one of their players!

I'm happy with Soyuncu and Evans but obviously it is a slight risk and does weaken us from last season potentially, so bringing in a CB is understandable. Just feel that clubs like Burnley and Bournemouth will be asking a crazy amount (entitled to!) and will be drawn out to the end of the window. Lets go abroad and hopefully get a top player in but for better value than here. 

Rodgers says they have dozens of replacement targets and so I'm sure there will be a fair few from abroad with more realistic fees. 

There is a reason why the world record fee for a defender is £80m and yet there are numerous midfielders/strikers in the world worth way more than that. Defenders, even the best ones, should not be your club record signing.

If we spunk more than the £35m-£40m we paid for Tielemans on a central defender, we’ve been had.

I’ll personally be gutted if we spend more than £30m on a Maguire replacement.

There is no way that we will get Ake for less than £50m, and we shouldn’t want to pay that amount. We need to look elsewhere. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

I’d take Cahill on a 2 year contract personally. Likelihood is this is Wes’ last season replacing him with experience of another leader would be a good move imo.

Maybe but depends on his fitness and if he has 2 years left in him. We wouldnt want him clogging up £75k of wages in that 2nd season if he's not going to be of much use to us. But he may not come here for only 1 season so who knows. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, City1884 said:

There is a reason why the world record fee for a defender is £80m and yet there are numerous midfielders/strikers in the world worth way more than that. Defenders, even the best ones, should not be your club record signing.

If we spunk more than the £35m-£40m we paid for Tielemans on a central defender, we’ve been had.

I’ll personally be gutted if we spend more than £30m on a Maguire replacement.

There is no way that we will get Ake for less than £50m, and we shouldn’t want to pay that amount. We need to look elsewhere. 

No way we'd get him or any other decent CB in this league for 50M. Not after the HM saga and so late in the window.

1 minute ago, That_Dude said:

No way we'd get him or any other decent CB in this league for 50M. Not after the HM saga and so late in the window.

I don’t disagree that may very well be true, so we should either go abroad for a CB, or run with what we have.

Harsh as it sounds, defenders add less value to a team than other outfield players, which is why very few defenders are their clubs record signing.

If we have managed to build the team we have by only paying a maximum of £35-£40m per player, that shouldn’t change for a new CB.

• Like 1

Problem is if we do spend even 30-40 million on a CB they will be playing week in week out, if Evens stays fit you've got no game time for Soyuncu or Benkovic, the odd game here or there won't benefit them, they've both been here a season already, both hardly given a chance, and that's before you even consider Morgan who may still be in front of either or both.

Can’t blame anyone trying to have our pants down now, obviously we did fantastic getting what we did for Maguire.

We do need to replace though and caused a problem for ourselves and really didn’t need to put ourselves in this position.

We can’t have it both ways, demanding such high prices for our players and expect to replace on the cheap.

Anyone who didn’t see this issue coming was blinded by pound notes that once we’ve sorted ourselves out again we won’t have many left and are weaker for it all.

Edited by Matt

51 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

Problem is if we do spend even 30-40 million on a CB they will be playing week in week out, if Evens stays fit you've got no game time for Soyuncu or Benkovic, the odd game here or there won't benefit them, they've both been here a season already, both hardly given a chance, and that's before you even consider Morgan who may still be in front of either or both.

Being realistic, how many league games is Evans going to play, he's injury prone and getting on a bit.. 

If he plays more than 20 I'd be Suprised.. Then it's two from Morgan, Soyuncu and sicknote Benko! 

Doesn't look great does it?