Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
suffolk fox

Nathan Ake

20 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

How do you know we didn’t?

The OP has provided you with a perfectly usable 'different discussion' category for anything that might make his argument look like spit balling

Edited by turtmcfly

9 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

The OP has provided you with a perfectly usable 'different discussion' category for anything that might make his argument look drunken spit balling

Oh, so we are "reading what he OP said" now are we? When did we start doing that??? :P

• Haha 2

Bournemouth saying that they want £75m for Ake is suggesting that the two situations are comparable and the two players are comparable when, clearly, neither are.

A few reasons why:

- Maguire is English (there has and always will be an English premium)

- It’s up for debate whether Man United will finish higher than Leicester this season, 99% of people will agree Leicester will finish above Bournemouth

- Part of the Maguire fee was due to Man United being the buyers (everyone knows they clean up commercially so have to pay more when clubs know they can afford to)

- Maguire has performed at the very top level and that is what Man United wanted to buy (we’re just looking for a solid premier league replacement)

Fair play to Bournemouth for playing hardball. Are they so confident that the player won’t try and force the move though? Because our negotiating hand was undoubtedly helped by Maguire’s conduct (whereas with Mahrez we got slightly less than we should have)

The best thing we could do right now is pass this one up, let Soyuncu have his chance and wait to see where Bournemouth end up in a couple of years (quite conceivable they could go down within that time and at which point they’ll not be calling the shots) and announce a stadium expansion ASAP.

We need to paint a picture that the Maguire money isn’t sat their waiting for another club to get their hands on by highballing us on price.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

How do you know we didn’t?

I don’t but generally no matter how ‘under wraps’ these things are tried to be kept usually somewhere there is a leak of some sort.

As I said I’m not sure why anyone didn’t try and get him, not necessarily us but anyone, Man Utd for example, I’m not being funny Alderweireld for £25m or Maguire for £80m? No brainier to me. 

6 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Bournemouth saying that they want £75m for Ake is suggesting that the two situations are comparable and the two players are comparable when, clearly, neither are.

A few reasons why:

- It’s up for debate whether Man United will finish higher than Leicester this season, 99% of people will agree Leicester will finish above Bournemouth

- Part of the Maguire fee was due to Man United being the buyers (everyone knows they clean up commercially so have to pay more when clubs know they can afford to)

- Maguire has performed at the very top level and that is what Man United wanted to buy (we’re just looking for a solid premier league replacement)

Fair play to Bournemouth for playing hardball. Are they so confident that the player won’t try and force the move though? Because our negotiating hand was undoubtedly helped by Maguire’s conduct (whereas with Mahrez we got slightly less than we should have)

The best thing we could do right now is pass this one up, let Soyuncu have his chance and wait to see where Bournemouth end up in a couple of years (quite conceivable they could go down within that time and at which point they’ll not be calling the shots) and announce a stadium expansion ASAP.

We need to paint a picture that the Maguire money isn’t sat their waiting for another club to get their hands on by highballing us on price.

Ake counts as home grown so the english premium doesnt really count here.

And i think all those points count for ake - he has 10 caps for holland (the highest level you say), we need a centre half and Bournemouth dont want to sell.

I don't think he's even that keen to come and would hold out for a bigger move so for me this really is a non starter.

Edited by Abrasive fox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

A few reasons why:

He probably would try to force through a move to one of the traditional big clubs. But I seriously doubt whether he'd do it to come to Leicester. We may be continually growing as a club, but we're never going to be anybody's 'dream move'.

10 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

A few reasons why:

To be honest, I would say the situations are comparable

• Maguire is English true, but Ake is younger (and 'home grown')
  • I'd say that Bournemouth are more likely to finish ahead of us than us finishing ahead of United
  • I agree that there is a Man United tax, but there's also a "team that everyone knows who  has just been given a shed load of money" tax.
  • I'd say Ake doesn't quite have the same pedigree as Maguire, but he's not far off.

I agree that we should pass on this one though. No point selling Maguire just to spend all of that money on a similar, maybe even worse, player.

Edited by Charl91
  • Like 1

Bournemouth can reject any fee they deem unacceptable and given how late it is in the window i’d want top dollar to sell one of my star players.   They are not forced sellers just like we weren’t

if I was Ake, after being linked with.Man City, i’d Hope for a bigger team than Leicester to come in for me.

cant see this happening.

5 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

As others have suggested, maybe this is in fact just a smokescreen for a foreign target.

Jonathan Tah was at Hamburg with Congerton, for example...

Some good research done there to find that connection... I applaud you :appl:

however i doubt we would need a smokescreen for Tah as your example as it has been documented he has a £25m release clause.

3 hours ago, CollinsLCFC said:

How dare Bournemouth demand such a high price for a key player under contract. Who do they think they are? They should expect to settle for lingering above the relegation zone and are obliged to sell their best players to bigger clubs.  Apparently, Ake had a gentlemans agreement and shook hands with the owner to allow him to move to the East Midlands if Leicester want him.

How dare they hold him back playing for a club where his childhood idols in Steve Walsh & Matty Elliot enjoyed so much success.

Guest Markyblue
24 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Two reasons for Harry going to yanited - 

1) huge wages

2) the lure of one of the worlds largest clubs

We can offer ake neither - we are peeing in the wind on this one 

1 we'll pay him more than Bournemouth 2 were bigger than Bournemouth 

25 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Two reasons for Harry going to yanited - 

1) huge wages

2) the lure of one of the worlds largest clubs

We can offer ake neither - we are peeing in the wind on this one 

No, but we could be seen as a step up the ladder. Kante Mahrez drinkwater and maguire have all gone on to bigger clubs.

12 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

No, but we could be seen as a step up the ladder. Kante Mahrez drinkwater and maguire have all gone on to bigger clubs.

To be fair, 2019/20 Bournemouth is a much higher rung than Caen, Le Havre, and 2012 Leicester City, there might not be a need for an intermediate step. 

7 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

Of course I'd prefer us to sign a replacement now as we just dont know if Benko and Soyuncu are ready to play regularly for us but we absolutely should not get rinsed like United have been. I'd take Cahill for a season as an option them review again in Jan/next summer when prices may be a little more realistic again. 

Shame that said Cahill has just signed for Crystal Palace but keep the ideas coming so there is minimal chance of us being rinsed, even if we have literally just done this to United. I've concerns that Benkovic and Soyuncu are not quite at the standard yet. Because let's face it, anyone who is anyone could win multiple SPL titles and have mixed reviews about Caglar. Replacement definitely needed, as it will be needed for the next 5 months at least. If Jonny Evans gets injured then we may well be up s*** creek defensively, and that is always a possibility.

4 minutes ago, Bezzanator89 said:

Shame that said Cahill has just signed for Crystal Palace but keep the ideas coming so there is minimal chance of us being rinsed, even if we have literally just done this to United. I've concerns that Benkovic and Soyuncu are not quite at the standard yet. Because let's face it, anyone who is anyone could win multiple SPL titles and have mixed reviews about Caglar. Replacement definitely needed, as it will be needed for the next 5 months at least. If Jonny Evans gets injured then we may well be up s*** creek defensively, and that is always a possibility.

Yes just seen that about Cahill going to Palace. Not a bad signing for them. If Lascelles is available for £35m I'd take that than pay £40-50m for Tarkowski or £75m for Ake. Only way I see us getting Ake is using Gray as part of the deal.  

7 minutes ago, Bezzanator89 said:

Chris Sutton will be coming for you- not to mention those Celtic Boys on here?