Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
suffolk fox

Nathan Ake

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

Because we are a bigger club than Bournemouth, we have a brand new training ground coming along, we have a bigger and better stadium, we are going to have a better season than Bournemouth and will likely pay better wages. 

Although I personally agree, every point bar the training ground and  stadium  is supposition.

8 minutes ago, Goober said:

Why on Earth would they take Ghezzal over extra cash.

I can’t see them doing that either TBH but it’s worth a try!!!  I’d rather we keep Gray this season and see how he progresses. If he doesn’t, sell him next summer

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Of the three big money defenders we are linked with in Tarkowski, Dunk and Ake, Ake is for me the best player by a country mile. The other two are good, but would seem like overpriced signings. Ake I could realistically have seen go to Man City this window for 60m! He's good enough to play in the Champions League IMO. Whenever I've seen Bournemouth play, either against us or on the TV, he's always stood out in terms of quality.

I doubt we'd be able to get him, but then again the Tielemans signing has genuinely made me believe anything is possible. They have always shown a big interest in Gray so that could even be a potential bargaining chip to get Ake.

Would have agreed without reserve until recently. The article about Tarkowski's pre-Burnley predilection for dribbling out of defence has given me pause for thought. I wonder if you can properly assess a CB in a Dyche defence. 

Edited by turtmcfly
A light editorial dusting
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, car1os said:

I can’t see them doing that either TBH but it’s worth a try!!!  I’d rather we keep Gray this season and see how he progresses. If he doesn’t, sell him next summer

I wouldn't even say it's worth a try. They would piss themselves laughing and put the phone down

1 minute ago, turtmcfly said:

Would have agreed without reserve until recently. The article about Tarkowski pre-Burnley predilection for dribbling out of defence has given me pause for thought. I wonder if you can properly assess a CB in A Dyche defence. 

Spot on.

As I’ve said before, he is actually underrated. He will be a huge success

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LinekersApples said:

Tarkowski and Dunk both England internationals

Ake (and Morgan for that matter) don’t have an England cap between them.

Mildly amusing…

4 minutes ago, slymunn said:

They have caps for Netherlands and Jamaica though :)

:giggle:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dave Fishwick said:

we're losing a massive presence in Maguire. Ake couldn't dream of replacing that kind of physical presence

Physical presence is over rated in English football. Some of the best defenders ever to have played the game weren’t very tall. I get that it’s an advantage, but you may be 5 ft 11 but be around 6 ft 3 with your leap. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Physical presence is over rated in English football. Some of the best defenders ever to have played the game weren’t very tall. I get that it’s an advantage, but you may be 5 ft 11 but be around 6 ft 3 with your leap. 

Tbh a leap of 4inches ain't much... 

our selling of Maguire. we may as well have put up a neon sign saying “ WE HAVE LOADS OF MONEY”.

Lets all be honest, we rinsed Man United because of their desperation. People are going to try and rinse us now because they know we have the money AND need. defender.. i’m pretty sure it’s 1.tarkowski, 2. Ake, 3. Dunk. All of their prices will be even more inflated now because of above mentioned reasons  so dont  be surprised if we pay around 50 million , offer someone with cash or go abroad and end up getting someone we ( the fans ) didn’t expect.

Edited by MPH
  • Like 1

I think we will, we don’t know how much money we have left excluding Maguire’s fee we will bring in a replacement Rodgers alluded to it.

Hopefully the extra money from Maguire’s sale can be used to buy a winger.

Ake is the type of defender we should go for, Manchester City have been mooted to sign him. So Bournemouth would want 50m which we can afford

32 minutes ago, MPH said:

our selling of Maguire. we may as well have put up a neon sign saying “ WE HAVE LOADS OF MONEY”.

Lets all be honest, we rinsed Man United because of their desperation. People are going to try and rinse us now because they know we have the money AND need. defender.. i’m pretty sure it’s 1.tarkowski, 2. Ake, 3. Dunk. All of their prices will be even more inflated now because of above mentioned reasons  so dont  be surprised if we pay around 50 million , offer someone with cash or go abroad and end up getting someone we ( the fans ) didn’t expect.

I understand your concern, and I'd love it if we unearthed another gem who no-one's heard of for peanuts. I don't want us to get shafted as badly as Woodward just did, either.

I'm coming around to the idea of investing in Ake or, to a slightly lesser extent, Tarkowski. It will be expensive, but might well be worth it. For one thing, you're limiting risk by buying an established PL player. In a season like this, where 3 of the big 6 look a bit shaky, we are well-placed to pounce and step up a level. We might even be competing with Man Utd and Arsenal for a European spot, or at least close the gap.

I think we need to show some real progression soon in order to keep the number of first-teamers we end up selling to an absolute minimum. I'm confident that we will improve over last season, but I think this could be a golden opportunity to really push on, and why not invest in proven PL quality when we can afford to?

Plus, a player like Ake, who is 24, will hold his value, and if current market trends continue, we could be looking at receiving an absolutely eye-watering fee in a few years.

• Like 2