Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
suffolk fox

Nathan Ake

9 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

Ake is better with the ball at his feet but I feel Tarkowski is better defensively. Ake is only 5'11, bit short for a CB 

Yes that's my feelings too, same applies to Soyuncu.. Shame Benko has been injured and not had a chance to prove himself. 

We need a CB who's dominant in the air to replace Harry. 

Not sure Ake is that man. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Is there actually a solid link with Ake 

Dorsett tweeted we were interested in both Ake and Tarkowski.

So I guess, maybe not a solid link 

Edit: He is correct

Edited by UniFox21

25 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

Ake is better with the ball at his feet but I feel Tarkowski is better defensively. Ake is only 5'11, bit short for a CB 

Tarkowski isnt tall either. If these two are the targets height clearly isnt important to us... It is a concern for me though as Jonny isnt prolific in the air.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Tarkowski isnt tall either. If these two are the targets height clearly isnt important to us... It is a concern for me though as Jonny isnt prolific in the air.  

Good defending starts at the front. A two goal lead is an excellent form of defence.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

If we are concerned about Harry leaving I would have thought that someone good in the air would be important

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Approx 2.5 headed clearances per game over his career compared to Maguires 3.0.

Not such a big difference really.

https://www.premierleague.com/players/9566/Harry-Maguire/stats

https://www.premierleague.com/players/3156/Jonny-Evans/stats

49 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Yes that's my feelings too, same applies to Soyuncu.. Shame Benko has been injured and not had a chance to prove himself. 

We need a CB who's dominant in the air to replace Harry. 

Not sure Ake is that man. 

Soyuncu is 6'1", same as Big Wes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have my concerns about the height and aerial power of Ake + Evans too.

But Ake's normal partner is Steve Cook who's an inch shorter than Evans at 6ft1. Bournemouth scored a joint 6th highest 13 set piece goals last season (compared to our 11). We conceded the least from set pieces, but Bournemouth were the joint 5th best at keeping out goals from those situations which is hardly terrible. They aren't exactly blessed with tall players in that side either, you think of Ndidi, Chilwell, Vardy all being pretty strong in the air too.

I don't think it would be dreadful. He's an inch taller than Kolo, ffs, and I don't remember much criticism of his aerial ability.

1 minute ago, SheppyFox said:

If the rumours of three at the back are true don’t we need Tarkowski and Ake? 

Don't think we have played 3 at the back once during pre-season, so don't think it is likely he will start using it now

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Ake is worth a £40-£50 million punt. Tark’s isn’t in my opinion. That’s not to say Tark’s isn't decent, but financially Ake would make more sense and he’s a better player. 

40-50m punt 

Jesus we have Nacho , silva , mussa and silimani clogging up about £80-100m in punts

we cant afford to be punting £50m , I can’t see ya spending more than £20m at this stage 

13 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Since when has height become such an obsession? We are talking just inches here and who's to say these younger more athletic CB's we are looking at, like Ake, can't easily out jump taller players and actually make up for those 2-3 inches by simply getting off the ground higher

Exactly, remember Frank Sinclair, he was a shorty and look how devastating he was in the air from corners ??

13 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Since when has height become such an obsession? We are talking just inches here and who's to say these younger more athletic CB's we are looking at, like Ake, can't easily out jump taller players and actually make up for those 2-3 inches by simply getting off the ground higher

I wonder why CB's tend to be bigger and stronger than any other positions?

Just chance I guess... :dunno:

He is very good at timing his tackles, reminds me of Ndidi in that aspect

Height really doesn't look like an issue as he has a very good jump

One of the best things about him, he is quick, which I think we have needed at centre back for a long time