Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Uncle Monty

Maguire gone (official).

Never nice to lose a player to a perceived bigger club but its the least worst of the last 4 departures.

Harry was decent for us and had a good attitude but we've got a great deal from this. The last 3 departures put the starting 11 out of whack a bit but we have potenitally good backup options around.

Edited by Blue ROI

3 minutes ago, brucey said:

Can someone paste the article here :ph34r:

Woodward was quoted £80m for Maguire in May and paid it in August: here’s what really happened in between

GettyImages-1166183880-1024x683.jpg
Almost as soon as last season finished the whispers around how much it would cost to sign Harry Maguire from Leicester City began. Word came from the very top at the King Power Stadium that respected agents’ valuations of £65 million were misguided.

Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha, known as Top, saw Maguire as a statement transfer and let it be known that only a world-record fee for a defender would be palatable. Sources have told The Athletic that Leicester’s owner initially wanted £100 million for Maguire. The message was clear to interested parties, including Manchester United and Manchester City: Leicester had a strong hand and would not fold.

This left United’s executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward with a dilemma. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had made it abundantly clear Maguire was his top target to elevate a mediocre defence, not only for his capabilities on the pitch but his presence off it. England and Leicester staff reported a grounded figure who 
Start FREE trial to read full story
Take advantage of our introductory offer. Try free for a month, and get 50% off for the year. Cancel anytime.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Yes he's not worth the money but he is still a very good player and we certainly worse off without him, for now at least. He's a modern defender so will make the odd mistake and I think you need to be clever with the players you have around him. In a team that might dominate possession a lot he will be good.

Used us for career development, but that's fine, that's the way it is. We are kidding ourselves if we think players won't leave to join the likes of United. Don't have any anger towards him and hope we don't abuse him when he returns but he's just another player now.

Fully agree with this, but 3 or 4 years ago we wouldn't have remotely been thinking the grass was greener at Leicester rather than one of the biggest clubs in the World.

Where we are at the moment: we are signing World Class players ourselves, developing a World Class training facility, hopefully expanding the stadium and hopefully pushing for top 6 and finishing above Man U - if we can do all that and keep going and start competing in Europe year after year, we may reach a point where we are not seen as career development on the way to others. It may be in another 3 or 4 years, but at this point in time, yes, we are a stepping stone. 

It feels like a real kick in the stomach seeing him in a Man U shirt and does bring us back to earth a little - but agree with the post: disappointing as it is, that it is the way it is at the moment. It will be interesting to see where we are when Maguire's 6 year' are up...

So Sky announce that it is £80m fee in their live feed and then 20minutes later announce that at £85m he is the most expensive defender ever... :facepalm:

Good luck to Harry though. Absolutely loved having him here. He didn't have the best season last year and really should have been more of a goal threat for us but you can't fault his professionalism and general attitude around the place. Would have preferred he went to a different club as can't see him winning trophies with Man U anytime soon, but overall what an achievement to be the most expensive defender ever and sign for such a huge club. He goes with nothing but my blessings!

Let's finish above Man U this year though ey! ;)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Be interesting to see how he handles the pressure because it will  be immense and people are going to want perfection for £80m. Any slight mistake and he will hear "and he's supposed to be a £80m player"

I doubt he cares about the price tag, its just the going rate.

I'm sure he knows he'll be heavily scrutinised but he wants to be there.

Thanks for everything Harry and good luck

15 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

Sad he's gone but not bothered if he succeeds at Manure or not, once he's left the family that is Leicester City. the club is always bigger than any player we've had great players before him and we'll have great players after him.

Exactly. Not really one for best wishes, don't really get it. He was only here for 2 years and doesn't deserve the legendary status of the 2016 league winners, who deserve special mentions. 

He has gone to a competitor in our league, I hope we beat United and get 6 points, I hope we finish above them. I hope United continue to be rubbish for the whole of his 6 year contract and longer.

Wishing them and him well is reducing the number of available slots for us. 

He is not a Leicester player anymore I could not care less what happens to him, but thanks for the money and efforts whilst here. 

• Like 2

I'm possibly in the minority here but I don't feel sad or disappointed (edit: seeing the two posts above, I don't think I'm in the minority lol). Even the fringe players of that title winning season got more emotions out of me than a player as good as Harry. Seeing the tweet about Shinji leaving upset me a bit even though I knew he had no place in the team anymore.

The title-winning team has a special place in my heart and I don't think a player not from that team leaving will get half as much emotion out of me.

Edited by the fox
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, the fox said:

I'm possibly in the minority here but I don't feel sad or disappointed (edit: seeing the two posts above, I don't think I'm in the minority lol). Even the fringe players of that title winning season got more emotions out of me than a player as good as Harry. Seeing the tweet about Shinji leaving upset me a bit even though I knew he had no place in the team anymore.

The title-winning team has a special place in my heart and I don't think a player not from that team leaving will get half as much emotion out of me.

He has played less than a hundred games for the club in a period that we have not done anything of note. In addition, we have signed Tielemans this summer. 

Good player, who we would’ve enjoyed having part of the “revolution”. However, no way does this sale effect us as much as losing Kante and Mahrez did. 

Its just a case of being patient while Caglar or Benkovic finds their feet. 

22 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Rather have kept you if we end up pumping £50m on a centre back, but honestly I think the money can be put to better use elsewhere, strengthening us as a whole. 

I keep reading this and it's true but there's only one position in the starting XI that we can realistically improve by selling Maguire and that's on the wing.