Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Uncle Monty

Maguire gone (official).

2 minutes ago, Bats8711 said:

So Percy / telegraph is really the only place I’ve seen fee be listed as 85+5 when it broke couple days ago. Are they still saying that or have they changed to 80 that everybody else is saying?

Percy said it was £85m, so presumably £80m+£5m.

Nope, it definitely says £85m+£5m. I've seen nobody else say this figure.

Edited by Beechey

Just now, Bats8711 said:

So Percy / telegraph is really the only place I’ve seen fee be listed as 85+5 when it broke couple days ago. Are they still saying that or have they changed to 80 that everybody else is saying?

i don't think its ever been 85+5? I think Percy said it was 80+5.

18 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Exactly. Not really one for best wishes, don't really get it. He was only here for 2 years and doesn't deserve the legendary status of the 2016 league winners, who deserve special mentions. 

He has gone to a competitor in our league, I hope we beat United and get 6 points, I hope we finish above them. I hope United continue to be rubbish for the whole of his 6 year contract and longer.

Wishing them and him well is reducing the number of available slots for us. 

He is not a Leicester player anymore I could not care less what happens to him, but thanks for the money and efforts whilst here. 

Calm down lad. I wish i win the lottery but it never happens

3 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

i don't think its ever been 85+5? I think Percy said it was 80+5.

I remember the same thing, but they may have edited the article

The long-running Harry Maguire transfer saga finally came to an end on Friday morning when Leicester City accepted an £85 million offer from Manchester United that makes the England international the most expensive defender in history. 

The King Power club had refused to budge on their valuation of the player and the deal was only signed off by chairman Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha, known as "Top", when Leicester director of football Jon Rudkin was told by United that they would be meet the original valuation which could reach £90 million with add-ons.

Edited by Beechey

Happy for Harry, have no ill feelings towards him, always been a professional, no bad words from me.

From a sportive perspective, a certain loss, but not one that we cannot compensate in the near future. He's a good defender with a certain cult factor about him due to his physique and playing style, but as a true defender gets caught out of position still too often.

Great amount of money for us, when's the last time you heard a LCFC player going to Manchester United for a record-breaking fee?

It used to be us relying on Manchester United dropouts in the pre-Premier League years (Drinkwater, James, Lingard, Keane, Cleverley, Lawrence, Powell, Barmby).

We are massive.

Good luck at Old Trafford, Harry!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

He has played less than a hundred games for the club in a period that we have not done anything of note. In addition, we have signed Tielemans this summer. 

Good player, who we would’ve enjoyed having part of the “revolution”. However, no way does this sale effect us as much as losing Kante and Mahrez did. 

Its just a case of being patient while Caglar or Benkovic finds their feet. 

Those 2 are a different class and the struggles yo replace them proved to be tiresome. IMO, just the way we tried to replace them just proves how good they are. We now have to spread the creativity between 2-3 players instead of just putting all the weight on Mahrez (which is for the most part a good thing but Riyad has that game-winning ability that we still miss). And let's not talk about Kante, I know it's a meme but it truly seemed like Kante was doing the work of 2 players on a high level. He anchored the midfield and defence. I said before and I will say it again, IMO, Vards, Kante and Riyad are the best 3 players in the club's history.

Sad to see him go but that's an offer we just couldn't refuse. A good deal for us I think.

I genuinely don't know whether we'll try to replace him, or promote Soyuncu into the first team. Part of me hopes we go for the latter although I am a little nervous about it.

Interestingly this now means our net spend for this summer is around zero (if we assume around £10m for Justin, including add-ons).

Obviously that's not what Brendan will have been promised in terms of investment, so I expect to see us making more signings over the next few days.

10 minutes ago, brucey said:

Yeah Percy's article initially said 85+5, he was very specific about the min upfront fee being 85, so must have been edited. Reliable Manc journos were saying 80 upfront so they're probably right.

Article def said 85+5 from the start. I just looked and the article is still live and still says 85+5. 

The thing is that kev guy from sky everybody hates then tweeted crediting Percy for breaking 80 (see comments on his tweet where everybody was saying “85 bro”) . So then everybody else said 80. I guess my point is I wouldn’t be surprised if the the “mainstream” media picked up on 80 to somehow downplay the pants downing of Man U.

Everybody here seems to trust Percy above all else. He’s either right or wrong... don’t see any new articles or corrections backing it down to 80 

Edited by Bats8711

3 minutes ago, the fox said:

Those 2 are a different class and the struggles yo replace them proved to be tiresome. IMO, just the way we tried to replace them just proves how good they are. We now have to spread the creativity between 2-3 players instead of just putting all the weight on Mahrez (which is for the most part a good thing but Riyad has that game-winning ability that we still miss). And let's not talk about Kante, I know it's a meme but it truly seemed like Kante was doing the work of 2 players on a high level. He anchored the midfield and defence. I said before and I will say it again, IMO, Vards, Kante and Riyad are the best 3 players in the club's history.

Agreed.

However, I do think Tielemans, a completely different type of player, replaces Mahrez in terms of creativity, goals and the X factor.

as said, different type of player but he is a genuine contender to replace Riyad.

we will never replace Kante?

I don’t think we will be having such conversations/debates about Maguire in a few years as I think we can replace him.

Fair play to United for spending a world record £80m on a centre back who will act like a brick wall, get them to the Champions League, be the difference between winning and losing major trophies and stay with them for years to come... you know like he did with us.

Evans + Morgan =:brendan:

42 minutes ago, the fox said:

I'm possibly in the minority here but I don't feel sad or disappointed (edit: seeing the two posts above, I don't think I'm in the minority lol). Even the fringe players of that title winning season got more emotions out of me than a player as good as Harry. Seeing the tweet about Shinji leaving upset me a bit even though I knew he had no place in the team anymore.

The title-winning team has a special place in my heart and I don't think a player not from that team leaving will get half as much emotion out of me.

I actually don't think you are in the minority.

I totally agree about losing Shinji (and Simpson, Mahrez & Kante) was more emotional..

And to think his fee paid for Tielemans and Perez, plus over £10M in the bank, is fantastic business by the club! No way was Harry worth that kind of money.when you compare him with Virgil Van Dijk.

Also, am I the only one on here that thought we were actually tighter at the back when Maguire was out injured last season? 

No question Maguire is a good ball playing centre back, but his lack of pace will always be a concern. I hope he doesn't get exposed, because at £80M he's going to get hammered if there isn't a huge tightening of that defense.

I know Man Utd are perceived as a huge club, but in their current situation I don't even see it as a step up. I think Man Utd are light years behind Liverpool and Man City. They are in a league with Arsenal, Spuds, Chelsea, West Ham, Everton and us.

(And let's hope for Harry's sake that OGS is still there at Xmas, because once Fat Sam comes in to save them from relegation Maguire isn't his sort of player!)

Edited by ThaiFox

He does deserve respect for how he has handled things. He's not a Leicester fan and has no requirement to remain here, however, he respected our asking price, and we respected his wishes, he continued to play and was professional throughout never once compromising his or the clubs integrity. He has earned his move to United, they may not be the force they once were, but it must be an incredible feeling to represent them. We're perfectly well equipped to move on, it's time for another player to rise to the challenge. 

• Like 3

Mixed feelings really, he's been excellent for us and was very important to how we play but the money on offer was just too much to turn down. It's a ridiculous amount of money and well done to all involved in well and truly ripping Man United off.

But I am worried it's all a bit late in the day and we will struggle to get a replacement in by the start of the season. 

43 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I keep reading this and it's true but there's only one position in the starting XI that we can realistically improve by selling Maguire and that's on the wing.

We need to ship some buggers out to do it.