Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Stadium Expansion...?

11 hours ago, TrentFox said:

I cannot imagine any scenario where KP wouldn’t buy the plots  of land immediately adjacent to the ground. The cost is probably less than they spend buying us all brownies and clappers per season. If a piece of land next to your house became available for a tenner, wouldn’t you buy it, whether you needed it or not ? 

...I  would hazard a guess that the original plans have been scrapped or altered in light of the available space surrounding the stadium!!!

King Power do not do things by half so I would imagine a more elaborate and awe inspiring development on various sites tying them to the club.

I do recall King Power requesting drawings to be taken down from this forum and I suspect it will be because they are going all out to make the new setup comparable to anything else out there.

On 20/05/2021 at 11:00, Ric Flair said:

Haven't seen it mentioned since, but the link for the E.on building has now gone.

Optimist - it was a formality to advertise it because we'd already snapped it up
Pessimist - It's gonna be another car showroom

1 hour ago, iancognito said:

Haven't seen it mentioned since, but the link for the E.on building has now gone.

Optimist - it was a formality to advertise it because we'd already snapped it up
Pessimist - It's gonna be another car showroom

I’d be gobsmacked if the club didn’t buy it. The value of that extra bit of land would be great for us.

It's actually a nightmare area to develop because you've lost space on 3 sides for potential expansion due to a river, a train line and an electricity sub station. These are 3 things that are there to stay no matter what you come up with. 

Edited by Collymore
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, davieG said:

The Railway line is a potential asset and it's a shame they can't make more use of the river/canal as I'm sure fans would like to be having a pint or two on a landscaped terrace down there. whether they could be trusted to behave or not who knows?

Also although it's there to stay I'm sure there was a clause in one of the planning apps around there Bede Island or LCFC to take down the pylons and put them underground, but then there was also a clause in the Bede Island to put a car access bridge onto the Eastern Boulevard now changed to Raw Dykes Road as the access onto Upperton Road was meant to be temporary whilst the building was going on, I can't see that ever happening now

I bought one of Barratt's flats off plan when they first launched back in 2004 and was told that they would remove the pylons and build a bridge across the river. Never materialised and I'm so pi**ed that they have got a way  with that for so long.

For anyone in the know, is a complete rebuild off the cards?

As others have said, we’d have a huge amount of land to develop on after this final purchase but just be expanding the stadium in its current spot with the restricted expansion potential due to the factors others have mentioned (the canal, the electrics and the roads etc).

If we were really going for it then rotating the stadium 90 degrees and building a new design like Spurs did would be an option.

23 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

For anyone in the know, is a complete rebuild off the cards?

As others have said, we’d have a huge amount of land to develop on after this final purchase but just be expanding the stadium in its current spot with the restricted expansion potential due to the factors others have mentioned (the canal, the electrics and the roads etc).

If we were really going for it then rotating the stadium 90 degrees and building a new design like Spurs did would be an option.

I suppose that would depend on what sort of capacity we are really going to need. I'd guess the ~40-42k capacity we're aiming for with the planned expansion is probably about right for where we are currently, but for how long?

I suppose it's a very difficult thing to gauge.

It looks like there is plenty of room to expand the South stand. If we do the East stand as planned (~40-42k), and it's not enough, then we could do the South stand (I guess up to around 46-49k), and then the southeast corner (~50k maybe?). I can't be sure, but that seems like it would be plenty. At least for a long while, anyway.

• Like 1

I can’t remember the capacity at Filbert Street, was it 21k? Seems crazy in hindsight that we originally only built to the current size and not 40k+

6 minutes ago, Sly said:

I can’t remember the capacity at Filbert Street, was it 21k? Seems crazy in hindsight that we originally only built to the current size and not 40k+

It was a roundabout that capacity by the time we left due to the seating requirement following the Taylor report. It had a 42,000 capacity up to the early 70's. The original plans were for a 40,000 seater on Bede Island but got scaled back when the Power gen site on Freeman's Wharf became available. It was always mentioned that it was designed with expansion in mind if it were needed. And boy, is it needed. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sly said:

Not really, first 10 years we did we well to get 23k most weeks. Was more than enough at the time

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

It looks like there is plenty of room to expand the South stand. If we do the East stand as planned (~40-42k), and it's not enough, then we could do the South stand (I guess up to around 46-49k), and then the southeast corner (~50k maybe?). 

I can't see them (quite rightly) ever building over the memorial garden though and that's right on the SE corner. 

1 minute ago, Collymore said:

I can't see them (quite rightly) ever building over the memorial garden though and that's right on the SE corner. 

Good point. I hadn't thought of that. That would probably also rule out turning the pitch 90 degrees.

14 minutes ago, dynamark said:

42 k plus extras in Filbert st but according to Len Shipman it was never more than 30K .Need to bear in mind the extra numbers will be great but the real money comes from the tele

If it’s  say 10k, everyone pays £35 for a ticket, 20 home games in a season plus additional match day revenue.. additional revenue from ground advertising because it’s reaching more people, club shop will be booming with extra shirt sales  scalfs et all. 

id say 10k extra seats could increase our budget by 40 million a season. That’s every season.. 

that could be huge.

Exciting times indeed. The expansion is an inevitability with our continued growth and success as a club. Not if but the we start playing more European football and in particular champions league the club have to take advantage of the increased interest in fan growth both domestically and internationally. I wonder if there are examples of other clubs that were on a similar trajectory to ours and expanded both in the UK and Europe? 

1 minute ago, cruzFOX said:

Exciting times indeed. The expansion is an inevitability with our continued growth and success as a club. Not if but the we start playing more European football and in particular champions league the club have to take advantage of the increased interest in fan growth both domestically and internationally. I wonder if there are examples of other clubs that were on a similar trajectory to ours and expanded both in the UK and Europe? 

The two options really are either a new stadium that’s built whilst we play at the king power or a staged expansion. Section by section. 

I don’t imagine they’d want to do it all at the same time as that would make the stadium unusable on match days meaning we’d either have to cram everyone into welford road or move out of the city for a season and I absolutely believe the owners would NEVER do that.

33 minutes ago, MPH said:

If it’s  say 10k, everyone pays £35 for a ticket, 20 home games in a season plus additional match day revenue.. additional revenue from ground advertising because it’s reaching more people, club shop will be booming with extra shirt sales  scalfs et all. 

id say 10k extra seats could increase our budget by 40 million a season. That’s every season.. 

that could be huge.

No chance even at £50 per ticket at 10000 over say 20 home games is 10m, your not getting 30m from the additional other income streams.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sly said:

Had attended with 40000 prior to all seating and restrictions !