Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fuchsntf

Caglar Soyuncu

Its a bit like the lesser of two evils.

We know Soyunchu isn't the best defender, but he's better than Armatey. 

It makes me suspect there's more to this behind the scenes - or - worryingly,  does BR genuinely believe that Armatey is better.

A lot of Soyunchu's downfalls,  were pretty minor things that with coaching, and plenty of game time, could be fixed. Armatey just isn't good enough, no amount of game time or training will change that.

Edited by adejo92
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Call me old fashioned, but when a player is obviously having a slump in form, the manager's job is to try to work constructively with that player to help them to regain it. 

Soyuncu has shown with us he can be a very good PL defender.  He had a very bad Euros with Turkey,  and his form with us dipped badly too with his rash side coning to the fore.  I hope Rodgers would have worked with him to help him rather than hang him out to dry, especially at a time when we need a good CB.  However,  Brendan has form it seems in cold shouldering players.  

Brendan made a big thing of helping Maddison through a bad patch. Why doesn't he appear to be doing the same for Soy? Weird.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

I know it’s stupid but I actually just feel sorry for him

I don't think it's stupid at all. We all do that kind of thing. It's projection to a degree and you kinda need to be aware that it could be misplaced. For all we know, Cags has never been happier; nice digs, loads of dosh and able to get away at the drop of a hat to visit friends, family etc. Football could be just a job to him, and he turns up to training to do it.

Ever thought he could actually be a total arsehole? I don't think so but I couldn't rule it out lol

I would start Cags on Saturday with Evans in a back 4. Sick of the whole saga around Fofana; it's clear that his head is all over the place at the minute, judging by his poor performances in the first 2 games. The Johnny/Cags partnership of 2019/20 was great; still think that under Johnny's leadership that Cags can return to those levels. Worth testing it out anyway.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, SafewayFox said:

I remember Rodgers’ post match comments on the tackle more than the tackle/Cags’ role in it.

There is no way 9/10 CB’s go in for that tackle with Romero’s excessive force…as others have said…Cags was stupid to roll around “injured” afterwards but how many times would that be blown up as a foul so think football/protection for CB’s at times influenced Cags’ decision there.

You can’t sugar coat his last seasons performances but could say the same for most of our players bar Madders from December onwards.

There is a player in there and would love to see Cags sign a new contract just can’t see it sadly.

Don’t worry we have Big Dan and Jannik to step up 🥹

He’s rolling around trying to get a red for Romero I think, they all do it, given the tackle it’s arguably a red if he makes any sort of decent contact… certainly looks reckless. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

The BBC aren’t going to slate a player at the behest of his manager whatever his connections.

Remove tinhat before posting, surely you’ve realised that at the moment any daft claim becomes a fact within seconds on here.

I didn't say 'the bbc' slated a player at the behest of his manager. What occurred is that some pundits were completely on point with Rodgers position, and Cags was the completely dropped. Like it or not, Rodgers is media savvy and i we have to assume that pundits and managers do communicate with each other. 

Around that time, MOTD pundits stressed 2 things:

• Cags let the team down pulling out of that tackle. Cags was then completely dropped (apart from pre-season)
  • Alan Shearers assessment was that the Leicester team needed a 'freshen up'. 

Both items completely on point with Rodgers.  

24 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

I didn't say 'the bbc' slated a player at the behest of his manager. What occurred is that some pundits were completely on point with Rodgers position, and Cags was the completely dropped. Like it or not, Rodgers is media savvy and i we have to assume that pundits and managers do communicate with each other. 

Around that time, MOTD pundits stressed 2 things:

• Cags let the team down pulling out of that tackle. Cags was then completely dropped (apart from pre-season)
  • Alan Shearers assessment was that the Leicester team needed a 'freshen up'. 

Both items completely on point with Rodgers.  

We don't have to assume that managers and pundits communicate at all, they may do with Talkshite but the BBC pride themselves on their impartiality.

He's a Rodgers type player too I would have thought. A technically capable ball playing CB; quick, strong and talented. Sure, he's a bit rough around the edges but that's what training and game time are about - to add that finish. He's got years ahead of him to learn.

5 hours ago, SafewayFox said:

But if we say he was on the bench behind a bang average (at best) Amartey as a LCB that itself is madness.

If Big Dan was at RCB it wouldn’t be as damning…he can’t play there (LCB that is) yet Cags easily has and can.

I've always thought that he looked poor at LCB in a back three.

I'm assuming that he's leaving (he's never extended his contract) and that it's mutual after the Spurs game (and his poor performances over the last year). I don't rate Amartey but perhaps the plan is to keep him as a squad player.

I don't get the issue.

He was poor for the majority of the season, he was dropped solely on the basis of one tackle at Spurs.

Sometimes a player needs a kick up the arse, he has missed 7 PL games since the Spurs.  

No one is saying Amartey is a better player he just happens to be what we have. 

I think some members of the squad have got away with too many poor performances, so the odd dropping is in order.

Where It would be wrong for me if he is never given another chance.

For me, a fit and on-form Soyuncu and Evans is one of the best pairings in the league.

• Like 1

I think Soyunchu is harshly judged on here. He played a lot of games last season where he was our only recognised CB , a different partner every week, that he'd have to carry, plus the fatigue.

I'd like him to stay and be back in the first team. I think something must have happened for Brendan to keep him out.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I think Soyunchu is harshly judged on here.

Not on this thread! It's a love in!!

Maybe Cags' will get his chance v Southampton? It's got to be worth giving Dan some competition for his place...:whistle:

Edited by taupe

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

I don't get the issue.

He was poor for the majority of the season, he was dropped solely on the basis of one tackle at Spurs.

Sometimes a player needs a kick up the arse, he has missed 7 PL games since the Spurs.  

No one is saying Amartey is a better player he just happens to be what we have. 

I think some members of the squad have got away with too many poor performances, so the odd dropping is in order.

Where It would be wrong for me if he is never given another chance.

For me, a fit and on-form Soyuncu and Evans is one of the best pairings in the league.

I would have gladly sold him in the summer due to poor performances and we might have been able to get a good deal based on his previous form but I don't think he's going to get another chance here. 

He was dropped last season and has come into this season behind even Amartey in the pecking order. If you can't get a game ahead of Dan Amartey its pretty clear you're not getting another chance. Unless there is an injury crisis or Fofana is sold last minute then Cags is 4th choice. 

4 minutes ago, Dames said:

I would have gladly sold him in the summer due to poor performances and we might have been able to get a good deal based on his previous form but I don't think he's going to get another chance here. 

He was dropped last season and has come into this season behind even Amartey in the pecking order. If you can't get a game ahead of Dan Amartey its pretty clear you're not getting another chance. Unless there is an injury crisis or Fofana is sold last minute then Cags is 4th choice. 

It is down to him to win his place back. 

I think we’d see a different Söyüncü to last season if he’s partnered with Evans in back 4, with recognised full backs around him. A slight indictment of his own flaws in that he needs that around him to flourish. But given we now have Evans, Justin and Castagne fit and playing. If Fofana’s head isn’t in it, and I’d suggest he possibly needs a weekend or so on the bench to clear his head given the added pressure at the minute, then Söyüncü should be brought back in. 

Also if Fofana were to leave, my first priority would be to get Söyüncü to sign an extension if possible. We would likely still need A.N. Other CB to come in to compete with Söyüncü, but would rather that than relying solely on a new addition to immediately make the step up

7 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

I would start Cags on Saturday with Evans in a back 4. Sick of the whole saga around Fofana; it's clear that his head is all over the place at the minute, judging by his poor performances in the first 2 games. The Johnny/Cags partnership of 2019/20 was great; still think that under Johnny's leadership that Cags can return to those levels. Worth testing it out anyway.

Makes sense.